Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:41:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead pool: BA vs KNC vs BFL vs AMT  (Read 935 times)
eightcylinders (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:20:21 AM
Last edit: June 04, 2014, 01:19:53 AM by eightcylinders

To add a small bit of levity to the pre-order nightmare that those of us who ordered from the above companies are going through, I thought it would be "fun" to do a dead pool on these companies.  The object of the dead pool is the guess which company gives up (dies) first, second, third and fourth with respect to their current pre-orders.  

The winner or winners of the pool will share in the pot created by the entrants.  I am suggesting a very small entry fee .02 BTC (if this violates some rule on the board, then forget the entry fee and its just for fun).  I would like to have someone who is on the trusted escrow list to volunteer to hold the entry fees...

Anyway, the rules:

The official dead pool contestants and their promised hash rates are:

(BA) Black Arrow - Prospero X-3 2 Th/s (composed of two 1 Th/s units) at .75 watts per Gh/s = 1500 watts
(KNC) KNC - Neptune 3 Th/s @ "under" 2100 watts
(BFL) Butterfly Labs - Monarch 600 Gh/s at 350 watts
(AMT) Advanced Mining Technologies - 1.2 Th/s A2-based miner at 1800 watts (my recollection as to power usage; AMT no longer lists any details on power requirements, so if anyone can find a copy of the original 1.2 miner page with power listed, I will update)

A "death" is defined as the first to occur of any one of the following:

• bankruptcy,
  • a public official statement that the pre-ordered product will not be manufactured commercially (possibly linked with a new pre-order that you can flush ahem "roll" your old pre-order into)
  • the disappearance of the company and its presence in forums and from the web for at least 30 days
  • delivery of a product that cannot achieve at least 90% of the advertised hash rate and with no compensation (additional machines) to bring the hash rate up to 90% of the advertised hash rate or a refund for the missing hash rate
  • delivery of a product that can meet 90% of its advertised hash rate only by exceeding its pre-sale stated power requirements (in total power required or in watts or Joules per Gh/s)
  • no provable commercial shipments of working miners meeting the specs by December 31, 2014

Note that it is possible to have a simultaneous death event, especially if more than one miner is not shipping by December 31!  In the case of a simultaneous death, an entrant who specifies simultaneous death will be the winner.  However, only if no member has guessed the correct death order by specifying simultaneous death, then the simultaneous death will be deemed commutative (e.g., order of the companies suffering simultaneous death does not matter in that case).

Every "entrant" in the contest who wants to be eligible for the "prize" should pledge .02 BTC to the "winner" or "winners".  Once we have an escrow member to hold the purse, the pledge should be transferred to a BTC address specified by the escrow member.  Of course anyone can enter without making a pledge, but not be eligible for the pot.  

As tie breaker, guess the exact date that Bitmain will deliver the first working miners based on their 28nm or better process (Bitmain Tech does not fund itself with pre-orders, so it is completely ineligible to participate in this contest among so many other prestigious competitors... sorry Bitmain!  To be fair to Bitmain, I made them the tie-breaker as I would not want to see them left out lol :-) ).  In the event of a tie for the dead pool, the person or persons who are closest to guessing the correct date of Bitmain's first working miners based on a 28nm or better process will be the winner(s).

If more than one member is tied on the dead pool order AND on the tie-breaker date, they share the resulting winnings from the pot equally.

The escrow member (to be determined) will hold the pot and will have the final say in who the winner(s) are.  The escrow member cannot enter the contest since he or she will be responsible for judging the winners.

The "pot" will be divided as follows:

FIRST: 10% to the escrow member who agrees to volunteer (of course the escrow member may agree to do this without compensation, or to give all or part of his 10% to the charity contribution)

SECOND: 20% to a not-for-profit charity designated by the escrow member

THIRD: The remaining 70% to the winner or winners if more than one

ADDENDA:

If one of the "contestant" companies actually delivers a working product, they are out of the dead pool from that point forward and ignored UNLESS they later file for bankruptcy.  For example, if someone guessed AMT BA BFL KNC, and KNC delivers product before December 31, then a death order of AMT BA BFL is still correct.   

After Bitmain Tech releases its 28nm or better chipset and starts shipping miners based on it, my tie-breaker will no longer work.  So in that case anyone who guessed the Bitmine ship date ON OR AFTER the ship date will be deemed to lose the tie-breaker (if there is a tie).  I am open to adding a second tie-breaker too.

I did not directly take into account whether any of these companies makes good on compensation promises because that would be too complicated.  However, note that failure to deliver on compensation could cause a company to have a "death" event even after shipping a miner that otherwise meets specs.  For example, if a BA delivers its Prospero X-3 in October, and the price per GH/s at that time has dropped to $1 US, BA's compensation plan would require delivery of about 6 Th/s for each pre-order.  If BA cannot meet this obligation and later files for bankruptcy (or is forced into bankruptcy as a result) it is counted as dead upon the filing of a bankruptcy even though it did deliver working product.   

My BTC Addres: 1PMEJCY6ofqmnAdYbdQqToZ7MNSAz35w7v
=>Buy the world's first hardware wallet.   Safer than paper and easier to use than smartphones.  If you use Bitcoin you need this: Buy Trezor!!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eightcylinders (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:26:36 AM

My entry:

Death Order:
BA
AMT
BFL
KNC

Tie-Breaker: July 25, 2014 (date I am guessing first shipment of Bitmain next gen 28nm or better based miner)

Pledge of .02BTC to pot: Yes

=>Buy the world's first hardware wallet.   Safer than paper and easier to use than smartphones.  If you use Bitcoin you need this: Buy Trezor!!
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2542

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 02:56:31 AM

What no Bitmine.ch on the list? tsk tsk tsk!

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
eightcylinders (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 03:08:00 AM

What no Bitmine.ch on the list? tsk tsk tsk!

I thought they delivered already, no?

RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 04:55:43 AM

My entry:

Death Order:
BA
AMT
BFL
KNC

Tie-Breaker: July 25, 2014 (date I am guessing first shipment of Bitmain next gen 28nm or better based miner)

Why no ActM/VMC? Oh wait they are already dead.

Death Order:
AMT
BFL
BA
KNC

Tie-Breaker: August 10, 2014

Pledge of 0.2BTC to pot: Yes

xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 09:55:38 AM

My entry:

Death Order:
BA
AMT
BFL
KNC

Why no ActM/VMC? Oh wait they are already dead.

Death Order:
AMT
BFL
BA
KNC

Tie-Breaker: August 10, 2014

Pledge of 0.2BTC to pot: Yes

So is HashFast (dead, that is).

This thread is HILARIOUS! But I do feel bad for the victims.  Cry

When I was in a pre-order state-of-mind, I thought Black Arrow, AMT, VMC and HashFast were bogus and would fail. The only vendor from the new wave who I thought had a chance was Cointerra and maybe BitMine. I need to trust my instincts more because they were dead-on!
Crimsonblue12

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 01:30:25 AM

Will Die in this order

Hashfast
VMC
BA
Cointerra
BFL

---