Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 10:20:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S1 Warm PCI-e Cables  (Read 650 times)
chisefu (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 01:44:39 AM

Hi Folks,

I have a few Antminer S1's running well at 180gh/s using a Enermax NAXN 500W PSU with dual PCI-e 6pin cables (not a Y-split) and has been working well for about 2 weeks.  I have old crappy hard drives plugged into the 4-pin molex connectors as recommended.  The problem is that the cables are slightly warm, nothing hot, like you could hold them to your nuts no problem and not get burned.  I'm just curious if this is going to kill the PSU or if it's normal?  The PSU isn't blowing that hot, the drain at the wall on the kill-a-watt is only 350'ish and all the ASIC chips are showing OK.

Im debating whether to get a more expensive unit because I wonder if this PSU will die in a few months.  Thanks!
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
darkphantom934

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 01:52:53 AM

This heating is completely normal. It is caused by a slight amount of "electrical friction" from the current running through the wires. As long as they are not TOO hot, you'll be absolutely fine. On my 1100W X11 rig, even the WALL cables are slightly hot/warm.
gibleh

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 08:43:55 AM

This heating is completely normal. It is caused by a slight amount of "electrical friction" from the current running through the wires. As long as they are not TOO hot, you'll be absolutely fine. On my 1100W X11 rig, even the WALL cables are slightly hot/warm.

This is mostly correct. WARM cables are OK. NOT IDEAL. You want to aim to make your cables COLD/ROOM TEMP. The temp of the cables is directly related to the amount of CURRENT going through them in proportion to the CROSS SECTION OF THE COPPER in the cable.

CHEAP CHINESE cables 99% of the time HAVE SMALLER COPPER WIRE (to keep them cheap) in them than good name bands.

Always remember HOT CABLES COULD = FIRE. (Insulation melts off and causes a short) again though, Good PSU's have Over Current protection and *should* cut off before that.

RE: the warm WALL cable, If you are in a 110v region of the world this is OK. If you are in a 240v region this is not so good.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: