Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:06:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What will happen when Lawsky announces his regulation of bitcoin?  (Read 1017 times)
tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 961
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 02:20:57 AM

It is supposed to be handed down by end of Q2.

Whether you agree or disagree with the idea of regulation, his announcement will have a major impact on bitcoin in the US.

Let's hear predictions for the days and weeks following the announcement.

I'll say it is going to see the establishment of regulated & licensed exchanges in the US, more acceptances by retailers and the official intro of Wall St.

It will not please everyone though, and anonymising agents like Dark Market, tumblers etc etc will see a spike in interest.

Pretty generalised view Smiley)
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 03:07:52 AM

Whether you agree or disagree with the idea of regulation, his announcement will have a major impact on bitcoin in the US.

I'll say it is going to see the establishment of regulated & licensed exchanges in the US, more acceptances by retailers and the official intro of Wall St.

It will not please everyone though, and anonymising agents like Dark Market, tumblers etc etc will see a spike in interest.

Do you have a link to the information you are referring to? I am not familiar with Lawsky and why he gets to hand out regulations. 

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 04:03:05 AM

He is working for the New York State Gov't:

Bitcoin Firms Will Get ‘Regulatory Framework’ in 2014, NY’s Lawsky Says
http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/01/28/bitcoin-firms-will-get-regulatory-framework-in-2014-nys-lawsky-says/

New York state’s top financial regulator plans to proposed rules this year for bitcoin businesses operating within the state, as the first of two days of hearings on virtual currencies gets underway.

Benjamin Lawsky, superintendent of the New York Department of Financial Services, said in his opening remarks released to the press that he expects the department will “put forward, during the course of 2014, a proposed regulatory framework for virtual currency firms operating in New York.”

Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 04:08:10 AM

He is working for the New York State Gov't:

Bitcoin Firms Will Get ‘Regulatory Framework’ in 2014, NY’s Lawsky Says
http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/01/28/bitcoin-firms-will-get-regulatory-framework-in-2014-nys-lawsky-says/

New York state’s top financial regulator plans to proposed rules this year for bitcoin businesses operating within the state, as the first of two days of hearings on virtual currencies gets underway.

Benjamin Lawsky, superintendent of the New York Department of Financial Services, said in his opening remarks released to the press that he expects the department will “put forward, during the course of 2014, a proposed regulatory framework for virtual currency firms operating in New York.”

Thanks!

I wouldn't set up a business there anyway, but if they do the usual NY hyper regulation it will chase business from their state to others. Texas seems like a good candidate.

jc01480

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Nope..

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 04:14:57 AM

Oh, sheez!  That's in NY.  I seriously wish the Middle East would annex NY to get it off US tax rolls.  Same for Puerto Rico.

More seriously, this will be an interesting piece of legislation as it will likely lay the groundwork for other states in what to do, and not do.  Is there a link to their legislative bill proposals?  I'd like to read that to get an idea of how this reads.
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 04:43:48 AM

Oh, sheez!  That's in NY.  I seriously wish the Middle East would annex NY to get it off US tax rolls.  Same for Puerto Rico.

More seriously, this will be an interesting piece of legislation as it will likely lay the groundwork for other states in what to do, and not do.  Is there a link to their legislative bill proposals?  I'd like to read that to get an idea of how this reads.

They will probably do a lot of it through regulatory rules etc. Legislation takes a lot longer and is way too easy to understand than a bunch of intentionally confusing rules.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 07:05:06 AM

@jc01480 Correct, that the NY regulation of bitcoin is important since it will probably affect other states.

@Ron~Popeil Yes, he is a bureaucrat (probably unelected?) who has significant power over the business environment.
Then when things go wrong (and people cannot find work) the media blames the "greedy, free-market, profit-seeking capitalists".

tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 961

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 07:22:57 AM

@jc01480 Correct, that the NY regulation of bitcoin is important since it will probably affect other states.

@Ron~Popeil Yes, he is a bureaucrat (probably unelected?) who has significant power over the business environment.
Then when things go wrong (and people cannot find work) the media blames the "greedy, free-market, profit-seeking capitalists".

He seems to have come around to bitcoin since the hearings. This should filter into the regulatory environment.

If not, there are a few other places putting their hands up to possibly become the hub of bitcoin.
BTCjust

Activity: 241

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 07:25:30 AM

Do you have a link to the information you are referring to? I am not familiar with Lawsky and why he gets to hand out regulations. 

yes
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 12:02:00 AM

I seriously wish the Middle East would annex NY to get it off US tax rolls.  Same for Puerto Rico.

Don't you even. PR has the most favorable capital gains structure imaginable for a US citizen. While I am still learning, PR looks to be hugely important to my financial well-being a couple years henceforth. It could be for many here.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 12:24:26 AM

He did a Reddit AMA back in Feb. Here it is in case anyone's interested:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1ygcil/as_requested_im_ben_lawsky_superintendent_of_the

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:07:23 AM

As always. When Obamacare crumbles it will be the greedy insurance companies that killed it so we better set up a single payer system.

Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 03:08:27 AM

Clueless capitalism apologists spotted congregating in this thread. Avoid eye contact, they have a propensity for violence when it comes to enforcing profit.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
adamselene

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 03:29:36 AM

Clueless capitalism apologists spotted congregating in this thread. Avoid eye contact, they have a propensity for violence when it comes to enforcing profit.

Regulation literally requires people with guns making good on threats to work. Who's violent again?
logger

Activity: 138
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 07:17:44 PM

Sensible regulations could actually be great for attracting startups, the key word being sensible. Smiley
logger

Activity: 138

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 07:25:22 PM

Imagine a bunch of states competing to come up with the regulations that will best attract businesses to open up shop, let's hope!
cccarnation

Activity: 146

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 06:39:13 AM

He looks like a guy, who started to study it. Maybe i'm wrong, but it's even like he has glow of enthusiasm in his eyes. Give him a couple of moths - he will become a proponent of crypto.)))

cccarnation

Activity: 146

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 06:45:31 AM

And i like how he found his own benefits in the programmable nature of bitcoin (you spend it on what i say you spend it!).
Fixing moths to months would be dull. so be it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: