Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:19:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Advice - GPU Mining worth the investment?  (Read 790 times)
mrflibblehat (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 07:54:27 AM

Question 1

Yesterday I received an open rig GPU frame that I bought 6 months back and it gave me a renewed spark for Mining again, But I am wondering with the current algorithms if it is worth the investment?

I was looking at buying 6 x R9 290's and the ASROCK H81 BTC Mobo (My old mobo for mining died 2 months ago, thats why I stopped mining).

Question 2

What sort of hashrate would I be looking at getting on X11 algo? I know scrypt I will get about 4500 - 4800 KH/s (is there some form of converter or calculator to other algos?)

Question 3

With the ASROCK H81 BTC mobo do I need powered riser cables as it has on board voltage control?

Link to mobo (http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/h81%20pro%20btc/)

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

PhattyBanks

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 07:59:42 AM

not worth it unless you get free electricity imo and x11 is around 3 times the scrypt hash rate
Bharat

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 10:00:07 AM

scrypt asics are also bad sign for gpu investments now

for sale
coa032

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 10:41:57 AM

Question 1

Yesterday I received an open rig GPU frame that I bought 6 months back and it gave me a renewed spark for Mining again, But I am wondering with the current algorithms if it is worth the investment?

I was looking at buying 6 x R9 290's and the ASROCK H81 BTC Mobo (My old mobo for mining died 2 months ago, thats why I stopped mining).

Question 2

What sort of hashrate would I be looking at getting on X11 algo? I know scrypt I will get about 4500 - 4800 KH/s (is there some form of converter or calculator to other algos?)

Question 3

With the ASROCK H81 BTC mobo do I need powered riser cables as it has on board voltage control?

IMO only VTC and MAX are currently worth to mine...DRK is not profitable to mine
mrflibblehat (OP)

Activity: 350

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 11:29:20 AM

..DRK is not profitable to mine

Agreed. used to get 0.4 DRK per day with my little rig back when it was below 0.006sat. Now barely getting 0.008 DRK a day.

To OP - Your best bet would be to rent your rig out and get paid in BTC. less hassle than trying to hunt for the best coin to mine and dump for best price.

For the Asrock BTC PRO you do not use powered risers. The board has molex power that you need to plug in. Just as extra information. Each GPU you add on the board, increases the wattage the board pulls with about 50 Watts. If you're going with multiple power supplies, ensure you have the biggest one driving your board and a few GPUs, the rest all on seperate power supplies.

Also, with a R9 270x i could get 482khash on Scrypt. Then got 1.35Mhash on x11. Then the updated x11 miner got me up to 2.15Mhash. So quite a big improvement in hash rate. x13 i get 1.7Mhash, which is also not bad.

Thank you for the detailed information, I think I may leave the mining alone for now and see if it become more profitable in the future.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 11:32:59 AM
Last edit: June 04, 2014, 12:22:59 PM by Amph

nvidia is better now, just need to wait until x13 will work with them

but making roi is still tough, unless...unless you have some luck with instamine or with coin that have low diff because they are ignored and then they skyrocket
leannemckim46

Activity: 420

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 01:31:15 PM

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Buy BTC straight is the best investment. Unless you have really cheap or free electricity otherwise avoid mining at all cost!!!

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
Wintermute

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 02:23:37 PM

If at all GPU might make sense if you go for X11 / X13 (also costs less electricity). Scrypt is a big "no", because of ASICs. I cannot recommend GPU mining for now.

If you want to go for scrypt anyway, you should purchase from a cloud service. Personally I like http://genesis-mining.com/ and betarigs (very short term contracts). 

sameev29

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 04:19:52 PM

You are better off ordering asics with the money you want to buy gpus.
Mrrr

Activity: 617
Merit: 528

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 04:59:08 PM

You are better off ordering asics with the money you want to buy gpus.

The only one who is better off with OP ordering an ASIC is the ASIC manufacturer. At least with a GPU rig you can adept to changes in the alt-scene and get lucky on an overlooked coin. He should consider it a hobby though.

burp...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: