Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:37:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to protect coins  (Read 540 times)
gondel (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 03:00:15 PM

Hello,
What is the best way to protect your coins? Is there any way to backup your wallet if your computer crashes? Somewhere safe...What are the best practics for protection?..
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 03:12:26 PM

Hello,
What is the best way to protect your coins?

Somewhere safe? Wink

Is there any way to backup your wallet if your computer crashes?

This depends on the wallet. If your wallet does not allow you to make backup you can allways use another one and send all the coins there.

Somewhere safe...What are the best practics for protection?..

Offline, physical secure and multiple copies. IMHO the best way currently is to have one (or more) paper wallet(s) that allow n of m. So you have 3 parts of a paper wallet and any 2 pieces can generate you the private key you need to spend the coins. This allows you to store those wallets in several places and any one of your secure stashes can be compromised without you loosing your coins.

https://www.bitaddress.org allows this. Its called split wallet. But do not generate the keys online unless you just want to test it with a little amount.

Get their code https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org or any other code that suits your needs and generate the keys on an offline machine. To ensure that the keys are not compromised later you can use a live linux to boot from.

More on bitaddress can be found here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=43496.0

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
gondel (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 03:29:41 PM

Hey,
You are very good at explaining stuff. Can you help me with some tutorials i want to make for one site? I will shortly PM you with details.
BR
Bitornio

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 03:50:22 AM

Hello,
What is the best way to protect your coins? Is there any way to backup your wallet if your computer crashes? Somewhere safe...What are the best practics for protection?..

Research cold storage and multi-sig
CounterStrike

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 06:21:58 AM

Hello,

USB drive, email, dropbox, whatever. Just make sure you put a long password in your wallet incase someone got it...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: