Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 05:31:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: To improve Bitcoin  (Read 968 times)
bit-joker (OP)

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 03:30:35 PM

Bitcoin unfortunately It is not the best means of exchange. I still find it easier to pay something using a credit card. You just swipe your credit/debit card into a machine and type a few digits (password). Bitcoin should be easier than that to be more widespread. Not everybody is tech-savvy.

What about creating a hardware wallet as small (preferably smaller than) a credit card without the need for a smartphone or computer? How difficult could it be?

To receive money you just need a QR code (could be printed on a card like versocards.com).
Unfortunately for PAYING is not the same. You can't go around putting your wallet private keys on other people's QR code scanners.

Is there any solution I'm not aware of?
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3253

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 04:03:07 PM

I think the solution is a card with a chip that signs transactions. The merchant's POS terminal creates the transaction, and you swipe your card to sign it and perhaps enter a PIN to authorize it.

Such a system would be just as easy to use as a credit card and would be safer for everyone.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 07:11:30 PM

I don't find pointing my phone at a QR code and hitting the send button particularly hard... But that's just me...

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
icet208

Activity: 762
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 07:54:10 PM

bitcoin is still in very early stage..still lots to learn and improve..
racht202

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 08:05:22 PM

This is just the beginning. Bitcoin will be evolving more and more
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 08:12:37 PM

I don't find pointing my phone at a QR code and hitting the send button particularly hard... But that's just me...

I don't find sending bitcoins from a phone particularly secure.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
adamselene

Activity: 59

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 08:13:52 PM

You're skipping a few steps to get to that point.

For the average CC user, its all baked into social norms so signing up for a card is trivial.

For Bitcoin, you have to train tech-illiterate people from square one, starting from how to buy bitcoin.
Most people don't even know how to scan a QR code or what Two-Factor Authentication is.
waldox

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 09:18:10 PM

we need to decentralize the bitcoin foundation, they pay the lead developers and they can influence bitcoin, it is easy for government to influence the lead developers atm with a small amount of money
most people will use/update the original bitcoin client without a thought
we need more different bitcoin mining clients that take the centralized power away from the core client

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 10:34:41 PM

we need to decentralize the bitcoin foundation, they pay the lead developers and they can influence bitcoin, it is easy for government to influence the lead developers atm with a small amount of money
most people will use/update the original bitcoin client without a thought
we need more different bitcoin mining clients that take the centralized power away from the core client

Any one willing to learn the skills can come up with a client. If it is easy to use and solves an issue then it will become popular. Personally I feel more secure with the QT client so that is where I store my coins.

optimator

Activity: 351

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 10:39:43 PM

Do you mean like this?

http://www.bitcointrezor.com/

tomtang

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 11:49:59 PM

What about a wallet app that uses iphone's thumbprint sensor to verify a send?  (now that Apple is more open to bitcoin)
Sydboy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 03:09:03 AM

paypal already do that

What about a wallet app that uses iphone's thumbprint sensor to verify a send?  (now that Apple is more open to bitcoin)
knircky

Activity: 99
Merit: 18

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 03:41:46 AM

Bitcoin unfortunately It is not the best means of exchange. I still find it easier to pay something using a credit card. You just swipe your credit/debit card into a machine and type a few digits (password). Bitcoin should be easier than that to be more widespread. Not everybody is tech-savvy.

What about creating a hardware wallet as small (preferably smaller than) a credit card without the need for a smartphone or computer? How difficult could it be?

To receive money you just need a QR code (could be printed on a card like versocards.com).
Unfortunately for PAYING is not the same. You can't go around putting your wallet private keys on other people's QR code scanners.

I think the answer is an online wallet + phone. Ie coinbase and the coinbase app that lets you scan a code/adress and u can then verify the transaction via you phone.

A physical card makes no sense in my eyes.

Copying a CC functionality is just going to create a crappy CC that is more complicated than a standard CC.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 04:26:11 AM

Just using your card?

Carrying your card in your wallet, needing to protect your wallet if you are on the beach, keeping your wallet in your front pocket when walking in areas with pickpockets, giving your wallet to someone who can get all of your information from your card.

Yes, that is so easy.

Having bitcoins on a locked phone that I already carry around, scanning a QR code...so difficult.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 05:27:57 AM

Just using your card?

Carrying your card in your wallet, needing to protect your wallet if you are on the beach, keeping your wallet in your front pocket when walking in areas with pickpockets, giving your wallet to someone who can get all of your information from your card.

Yes, that is so easy.

Having bitcoins on a locked phone that I already carry around, scanning a QR code...so difficult.

Yep. More things to carry and protect along with more things that you have to worry over security seems like a step back.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 05:39:26 AM

Do you mean like this?

http://www.bitcointrezor.com/
I have one of these and I love it but no, it is not what he is looking for.  The trezor is a Bitcoin SAFE, not a Bitcoin credit card.  They are different use cases.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 06:54:11 AM

If a bitcoin private key was encoded on to a smart card chip on a credit card style plastic card, what would happen if you lost the card? I guess that would mean anyone could go around signing transactions with your private key. People lose their (physical)wallets or have them stolen often enough that this would be a real concern.

I guess one solution would be to load only very small amounts you could afford to lose on the wallet that has the private key attached to the smart card. The pin system is interesting too, would you simply be able to set your own pin on the smart card after loading it with money? Is that possible. I'm guessing the way it works now is that your pin is verified by your credit card company. That obviously wouldn't work for bitcoin unless you were using a centralised service like circle or something similar.
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 06:58:01 AM

If a bitcoin private key was encoded on to a smart card chip on a credit card style plastic card, what would happen if you lost the card? I guess that would mean anyone could go around signing transactions with your private key. People lose their (physical)wallets or have them stolen often enough that this would be a real concern.

I guess one solution would be to load only very small amounts you could afford to lose on the wallet that has the private key attached to the smart card. The pin system is interesting too, would you simply be able to set your own pin on the smart card after loading it with money? Is that possible. I'm guessing the way it works now is that your pin is verified by your credit card company. That obviously wouldn't work for bitcoin unless you were using a centralised service like circle or something similar.

If the pin could be stored locally I could see it working. It will be pretty exciting to see the ideas that come out over the next few years. Bit coin is driving technological advancement at an amazing rate. 

turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 07:52:18 AM

A theoretical solution I can think about, is as Card, with a small power source, a NFC Reader, a small Display and a NumPad.

You get Address and amount over NFC, check amount on Display, type in your PIN, Card generates Transaction and send it to the Transaction device.

So, it's swipe, check, Password, swipe, which should be user-friendly enough and much more secure, than typing a PIN into a foreign machine like with credit Cards.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: