Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:50:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paging Mt. Gox management or someone else in the know: PLEASE REPLY!  (Read 1532 times)
Rockford99 (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 09:56:53 AM
Last edit: February 15, 2012, 10:56:28 AM by Rockford99

Do you have any contingencies if Mt. Gox  gets shut down or is Dwolla deposits end?  How do BTC keep trading if there isn't a liquid, transparent, frequently-quoted market.  Such an event would be tantamount to a stock getting booted from the NYSE and put on the pink sheets.  Only illiquid, bilateral trades would occur and the accuracy of their reporting would be questionable.

Could you set a "Silk Road" type BTC exchange?  Why not get parallel Mt. Goxes running in Sweden or wherever is more friendly to net liberty?  Tell me you've considered this contingency???!!!!
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2012, 10:25:18 AM

Chill down dude. Mt. Gox is not the only exchange out there nor is Dwolla the only deposit method. Mt. Gox shutting down would be a huge issue but it's very unlikely to happen. Remember that Tradehill was based in the US, none of the other major exchanges are. They are having no problems.

Dwolla is a US company though so I wouldn't trust them to be there as much as I trust the exchanges. Anyway, stop spamming the forum. The whole issue of exchanging has nothing to do with the development of the Bitcoin project.

Currently the situation with the exchanges and their banking connections is actually pretty good, with the exception of Tradehill that shut down. The case of Tradehill can't be compared to the others because it's based in a different country.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
vuce

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 10:35:23 AM

If I were Gavin I'd be totally pissed with people constantly bothering him about exchange business. He has nothing to do with it, leave him out of it for haven's sake.
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 10:38:19 AM

INdeed. please change your subject line, Gavin has nothing to do with this. He is lead developer, not CEO of the Bitcoin Corporation.
Bitcoin worked fine before MtGox, it will work fine after MtGox closes shop.

Rockford99 (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 10:52:03 AM

in about redundancy in different countries.  (2) I'm not a techie or a developer.  I'm a monetary theorist who is holding BTC (even if they crash).  However, if you're a non-techie/speculator, IN MY OPINION maintaining liquid, transparent, continual pricing IS ONE OF THE MOST CRITICAL elements for BTC's continued success/viability.  How do you guys NOT AGREE WITH THIS POINT?? The other exchanges aren't nearly as good as Mt. Gox.  Now perhaps, you think the next in line will step up and get its volume - perhaps so.

I happen to think that NWO/US govts are hellbent on destroying BTC or will be once they realize its capabilities.  I'd love to hear a discussion about which governments have web/BTC friendly policies.  My guess is Sweden.  I like the fact that Russian entities are getting involved with BTC, but the problem is that there govt might rob you eventually.  I'm not freaking out.  I'm just absolutely puzzled that this vital discussion rarely gets vetted on this board.
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 11:03:43 AM

I don´t think they are hellbent on removing Bitcoin, they have not removed trade with gold and all it needs is some regulation.

If a store accept Bitcoin, they can easily see if the store is avoiding taxes.
Simply by making a purchase and look if it is accounted for.

If not, the store will have to pay a penalty.

And they dont have to do this at every single store.
All they need is a strong enough penalty and do it at some stores than as other stores see this they will be afraid of cheating to much.

So Bitcoin is really no trouble.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 12:25:53 PM

I do think Gox needs to implement emergency bitcoin addresses.  So if it looks like something bad is going happen then can push a button and everyone's bitcoins get sent back to them.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 05:09:48 PM

I'm just absolutely puzzled that this vital discussion rarely gets vetted on this board.

I'm just puzzled that a member who has 43 posts thinks he knows every discussion that has taken place.

Here's one to get you started:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=21880.0

Prefix your google search with site:bitcointalk.org... the built-in search sucks.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: