Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:21:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebay CEO serious about bitcoin  (Read 2469 times)
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 07:37:24 AM

That CEO like others have been incredibly two-faced about Bitcoin because he says one thing then his company does all kinds of crap to the people who actually want to trade it, at least with guys like Peter Schiff we know he did it purely for business reasons, companies are going to have to switch to Bitcoin just to be competitive.
dadaas

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 09:57:33 AM

That CEO like others have been incredibly two-faced about Bitcoin because he says one thing then his company does all kinds of crap to the people who actually want to trade it, at least with guys like Peter Schiff we know he did it purely for business reasons, companies are going to have to switch to Bitcoin just to be competitive.

It is just difference between business and private life. He can own as much BTC as he wants and support BTC but if company is not supporting or it is against ToS then they will screw users who deal with BTC. But I look at this news as good one and BTC will sure expand it's market with eBay and Amazon...
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 10:39:45 AM

Oh yeah, I know that, but you have all these people now doing a total reversal on their opinions about Bitcoin the moment they see them making tons of money, it's a bit like when I've seen people attacking creative people etc. when they're learning or they aren't making any money but when they hit it big all of a sudden they were with them from the very start.

Actually, I think that's a good metaphor, Bitcoin is a bit like an under appreciated artist Tongue
Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 10:41:07 AM

Oh yeah, I know that, but you have all these people now doing a total reversal on their opinions about Bitcoin the moment they see them making tons of money, it's a bit like when I've seen people attacking creative people etc. when they're learning or they aren't making any money but when they hit it big all of a sudden they were with them from the very start.

Actually, I think that's a good metaphor, Bitcoin is a bit like an under appreciated artist Tongue

So if Bitcoin was to die, it would be worth a lot more? Grin Grin Grin
db

Activity: 279
Merit: 261

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 09:27:37 PM

So if Bitcoin was to die, it would be worth a lot more? Grin Grin Grin

If Satoshi dies then Bitcoin will be worth a lot more ... oh, so that's why he is anonymous. Smiley
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 10:20:54 PM

This is the trick: Large enterprises first buy thousands of bitcoins, then accept bitcoin to raise its exchange rate, then dump them to make a 10x profit  Grin

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 11:01:17 PM

This is the trick: Large enterprises first buy thousands of bitcoins, then accept bitcoin to raise its exchange rate, then dump them to make a 10x profit  Grin

Individuals do that too. The only difference is scale. Whatever their motives are it is good for bit coin.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 05:40:53 AM

If Satoshi dies then Bitcoin will be worth a lot more ... oh, so that's why he is anonymous. Smiley

According to rpitella, Satoshi owns some BTC980,000. That is still less than 8% of all the Bitcoins in circulation. And we are not sure whether he is having the private keys to all of his wallets. Most of the coins haven't been moved for almost 3 years now. That said, who would murder someone else for just 8% rise in their net wealth?
Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 05:46:38 AM

According to rpitella, Satoshi owns some BTC980,000. That is still less than 8% of all the Bitcoins in circulation. And we are not sure whether he is having the private keys to all of his wallets. Most of the coins haven't been moved for almost 3 years now. That said, who would murder someone else for just 8% rise in their net wealth?

You're talking like 8% is nothing. It's way too much. Are you saying you wouldn't want to have a million BTC?
notabot

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 05:54:25 AM

I got an eBay policy violation a couple of weeks ago for saying I'd accept btc for payment. Also I had my PayPal account suspended a few months ago for selling crypto - I had to fill in AML documentation and file a statutory declaration to restore my account.

eBay charges about 10% in fees, including shipping as of a recent change in Terms and Conditions. Paypal holds your funds for several days when transferring from your account to your bank, while it sits in their massive slush fund accumulating them interest. These are both predatory corporate entities who suck the life out of small business (large ones too) and individuals. Why? Because they can, because they have no competition, they are monopolies unto themselves.

I would like nothing better than to see real competition to eBay. Preferably an auction site that accepts both crypto and PayPal, but one that dumps the fiat from PayPal and pays you out in the crypto of your choice.

So I don't support eBay accepting bitcoin, or perhaps I should phrase it better, I'd like to take my business elsewhere. We shouldn't encourage crypto adoption of an entity that has been openly hostile to those who accept and sell bitcoin.

Just my 2 satoshis.

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 07:17:31 AM

I got an eBay policy violation a couple of weeks ago for saying I'd accept btc for payment. Also I had my PayPal account suspended a few months ago for selling crypto - I had to fill in AML documentation and file a statutory declaration to restore my account.

eBay charges about 10% in fees, including shipping as of a recent change in Terms and Conditions. Paypal holds your funds for several days when transferring from your account to your bank, while it sits in their massive slush fund accumulating them interest. These are both predatory corporate entities who suck the life out of small business (large ones too) and individuals. Why? Because they can, because they have no competition, they are monopolies unto themselves.

I would like nothing better than to see real competition to eBay. Preferably an auction site that accepts both crypto and PayPal, but one that dumps the fiat from PayPal and pays you out in the crypto of your choice.

So I don't support eBay accepting bitcoin, or perhaps I should phrase it better, I'd like to take my business elsewhere. We shouldn't encourage crypto adoption of an entity that has been openly hostile to those who accept and sell bitcoin.

Just my 2 satoshis.

I agree with how bad ebay/paypal is, but the exposure is always a good thing.

PatMan

Activity: 924

Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 08:05:31 AM

Just my 2 satoshis.

+1

Screw PayPal - Bitcoin does not need it. Bitcoin can wipe out PayPal completely & the trading world, as well as the end user/buyer, will be better off for it. PayPal are just trying to cash in, they will charge users for crypto usage which defeats the object of using it in the first place. Ebay/Paypal are an evil entity that will be replaced by Bitcoin & other online market stores - the sooner this happens the better for everyone.

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 12:09:32 PM

Ebay is one of the most popular online retailing sites in the world right now. Even if we agree with the fact that their services are bad, there are large number of people who disagree with our opinion . And right now, any type of adoption by anyone will be good for the Bitcoin.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 01:48:22 PM

You say trick, I say business model!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
smashingpumpkin

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 05:56:24 PM

Well, it now became clear that it is "the next  big thing". This is the reason why im personally here. Wanna join the party!
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 08:09:50 PM

Just my 2 satoshis.

+1

Screw PayPal - Bitcoin does not need it. Bitcoin can wipe out PayPal completely & the trading world, as well as the end user/buyer, will be better off for it. PayPal are just trying to cash in, they will charge users for crypto usage which defeats the object of using it in the first place. Ebay/Paypal are an evil entity that will be replaced by Bitcoin & other online market stores - the sooner this happens the better for everyone.

Spot on!
ClutchThese

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 10:26:40 PM

Thanks OP for the link. Once eBay, PayPal and Amazon add Bitcoin to their sites... this rocket will be out of our atmosphere! I'm super stoked to see what this summer/fall season brings leading us into our holiday shopping season. This really is the beginning of something huge and we are leading the way!

Signature for Rent - PM if Interested
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 11:20:52 PM

Ebay is one of the most popular online retailing sites in the world right now. Even if we agree with the fact that their services are bad, there are large number of people who disagree with our opinion . And right now, any type of adoption by anyone will be good for the Bitcoin.

That is true presently but as more people become dissatisfied with ebay and we start seeing more services we might see a change.
I for one would be interested in a Bitcoin equivalent of Ebay and Paypal together but I'm sure a few ideas are rolling around to do that already.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
BitcoinLlama

Activity: 46

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 11:45:51 PM

eBay is late to the game. Has anyone noticed how unintuitive their website is by the way? It is like impossible to manuever....

msb17

Activity: 38

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 11:48:58 PM

For anyone looking for an alternative to ebay, have a look at https://cryptothrift.com.

In the end, if we want an alternative to ebay, we need to support alternative market places.

The way I deal with this, I list my items on both ebay and cryptothrift and include the a statmemnt in my ebay listings that guides people to the corresponding crypto thrift listing if they wish to use bitcoins for payment.

I am probably breaking an ebay rule somewhere  Smiley ... but I haven't been pulled up by ebay about it yet, so I keep doing it  Grin
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: