Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:29:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the easiest way to download whole blockchain in Bitcoin-qt?  (Read 972 times)
Muhammed Zakir (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 04:38:14 PM

Hello!
Is there any easiest way to download whole blockchain? If there is any torrent file it would be better for me. I found a few ways to boost syncing speed but you know it takes a lot of time.
Kindly,
       Muhammed Zakhir

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TimS

Activity: 250
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 04:41:07 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2014, 07:15:27 PM by TimS

You should download (via torrent) bootstrap.dat and put it in the Bitcoin data directory (usually C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin). Then start up Bitcoin Core and it will read the blockchain from there.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 06:18:27 PM

You should download the bootstrap.dat torrent and put it in the Bitcoin data directory (usually C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin). Then start up Bitcoin Core and it will read the blockchain from there.

Well you dont put the torrent in that directory (which is only correct if you use windows anyway). You open it with your favorit bittorrent tool and put the bootstrap.dat in the that directory. Make sure bitcoin is not running when you copy it there and start normally. It will not download the complete blockchain but a big part of it.

Hello!
Is there any easiest way to download whole blockchain? If there is any torrent file it would be better for me. I found a few ways to boost syncing speed but you know it takes a lot of time.
Kindly,
       Muhammed Zakhir

You can also use another client like electrum or multibit that does not need the whole blockchain. They setup in a few minutes and are ready to go.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Muhammed Zakir (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 12:14:02 PM

You should download (via torrent) bootstrap.dat and put it in the Bitcoin data directory (usually C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin). Then start up Bitcoin Core and it will read the blockchain from there.
You should download the bootstrap.dat torrent and put it in the Bitcoin data directory (usually C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin). Then start up Bitcoin Core and it will read the blockchain from there.

Well you dont put the torrent in that directory (which is only correct if you use windows anyway). You open it with your favorit bittorrent tool and put the bootstrap.dat in the that directory. Make sure bitcoin is not running when you copy it there and start normally. It will not download the complete blockchain but a big part of it.
You can also use another client like electrum or multibit that does not need the whole blockchain. They setup in a few minutes and are ready to go.
Thanks! Yeah I know I must download the files via torrent. I am using both Multibit and Bitcoin-qt. Bitcoin-qt for solo mining. My main BTC address is in Multibit. I am thinking about exporting that into Bitcoin-qt via Pywallet.
Kindly,
       Muhammed Zakhir

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 12:34:21 PM

-snip-
Thanks! Yeah I know I must download the files via torrent. I am using both Multibit and Bitcoin-qt. Bitcoin-qt for solo mining. My main BTC address is in Multibit. I am thinking about exporting that into Bitcoin-qt via Pywallet.
Kindly,
       Muhammed Zakhir

As I read in the other thread installing pywallet is not working for you very well.

You can just export the private keys from multibit (here is a step by step) and import them into bitcoin qt/core (via Help -> Debug window -> console -> importprivkey 5thisISmyPRIVATEkey "label/info" rescan )

This will make your old backups of the wallet.dat useless though, since there are keys missing. So when you are done importing make a new backup. This can also compromise your private keys, as you will need them unencrypted (export without password or decrypt by hand). So it might be wiser to just transfer all your coins from the multibit wallet over the blockchain to one (or more) of your bitcoin core address(es).

Muhammed Zakir (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 12:51:27 PM
Last edit: June 06, 2014, 01:10:27 PM by Muhammed Zakir

As I read in the other thread installing pywallet is not working for you very well.

You can just export the private keys from multibit (here is a step by step) and import them into bitcoin qt/core (via Help -> Debug window -> console -> importprivkey 5thisISmyPRIVATEkey "label/info" rescan )

This will make your old backups of the wallet.dat useless though, since there are keys missing. So when you are done importing make a new backup. This can also compromise your private keys, as you will need them unencrypted (export without password or decrypt by hand). So it might be wiser to just transfer all your coins from the multibit wallet over the blockchain to one (or more) of your bitcoin core address(es).

Thanks! Now I don't want to install Pywallet. I think I don't want to backup in Bitcoin-qt because I already have private keys which I backed up earlier. There is three BTC addresses in Multibit, as you know we can't back up a specific key from it, so will any problem occur if I copy the whole private keys when importing? I asked you because I think we can only import one key at a time in Bitcoin-qt.
Edit : I tried before but it was unsuccessful. I hope this time it will work.
Kindly,
       Muhammed Zakhir

Cancan

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 12:57:08 PM

Definitely downloading the Blockchain via torrent.
Or alternatively, you can use a thin client(doesn't require the blockchain downloaded), such as MultiBit or Electrum.
Muhammed Zakir (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 01:13:53 PM

Definitely downloading the Blockchain via torrent.
Or alternatively, you can use a thin client(doesn't require the blockchain downloaded), such as MultiBit or Electrum.
It has already mentioned above. I think you are trying to become a Jr. Member. Try not to do like this because others may report your post to moderator and then moderators will ban you from posting. I have had this problem before, that is why I am telling to you. Sorry if I hurt you. Anyway Thanks.
Kindly,
       Muhammed Zakhir

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 01:21:28 PM

-snip-
There is three BTC addresses in Multibit, as you know we can't back up a specific key from it, so will any problem occur if I copy the whole private keys when importing?
-snip-

If you export via multibit you will get a file multibit.key. You can open that with any texteditor if its not encrypted.

It will look like this:

Code:
# KEEP YOUR PRIVATE KEYS SAFE !
# Anyone who can read this file can spend your bitcoin.
#
# Format:
#   <Base58 encoded private key>[<whitespace>[<key createdAt>]]
#
#   The Base58 encoded private keys are the same format as
#   produced by the Satoshi client/ sipa dumpprivkey utility.
#
#   Key createdAt is in UTC format as specified by ISO 8601
#   e.g: 2011-12-31T16:42:00Z . The century, 'T' and 'Z' are mandatory
#
L5gveWnEvSkCtTN-snip-DjWM2TEq9RDNUTMd6PCTieAKFeC 2014-06-06T13:01:13Z
L1b67i486f5v-snip-ZB6E1maqurp7k8VxA7rvE 2014-06-06T13:01:13Z
L1TqqP7BjTZRS3-snip-yAYPcwXRUcT7qmzbqpAGWN 2014-06-06T13:01:13Z
L4b7YkkR9mH-snip-SYgWCy6GSUZHbnCBFuF9tvAhTMeCq 2014-06-06T13:01:13Z
Kwrne6dji7ku-snip-PDDw3dP3UUDrnwPLbCHgzMsx 2014-06-06T13:01:13Z
KyMwnzMxz5-snip-E3AsFgy4cqxfMjdijACzSPRjb 2014-06-06T13:01:13Z
# End of private keys

This is a testwallet I just made. As you can see it gives you a list of the private keys. You can now take each of these keys and import them one by one into bitcoin core.

Aaand I have to make sure not to use these keys ever Wink

Muhammed Zakir (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 01:42:44 PM

If you export via multibit you will get a file multibit.key. You can open that with any texteditor if its not encrypted.

It will look like this:

Code:
# KEEP YOUR PRIVATE KEYS SAFE !
# Anyone who can read this file can spend your bitcoin.
#
# Format:
#   <Base58 encoded private key>[<whitespace>[<key createdAt>]]
#
#   The Base58 encoded private keys are the same format as
#   produced by the Satoshi client/ sipa dumpprivkey utility.
#
#   Key createdAt is in UTC format as specified by ISO 8601
#   e.g: 2011-12-31T16:42:00Z . The century, 'T' and 'Z' are mandatory
#
L5gveWnEvSkCtTN-snip-DjWM2TEq9RDNUTMd6PCTieAKFeC 2014-06-06T13:01:13Z
L1b67i486f5v-snip-ZB6E1maqurp7k8VxA7rvE 2014-06-06T13:01:13Z
L1TqqP7BjTZRS3-snip-yAYPcwXRUcT7qmzbqpAGWN 2014-06-06T13:01:13Z
L4b7YkkR9mH-snip-SYgWCy6GSUZHbnCBFuF9tvAhTMeCq 2014-06-06T13:01:13Z
Kwrne6dji7ku-snip-PDDw3dP3UUDrnwPLbCHgzMsx 2014-06-06T13:01:13Z
KyMwnzMxz5-snip-E3AsFgy4cqxfMjdijACzSPRjb 2014-06-06T13:01:13Z
# End of private keys

This is a testwallet I just made. As you can see it gives you a list of the private keys. You can now take each of these keys and import them one by one into bitcoin core.

Aaand I have to make sure not to use these keys ever Wink
Thanks you very much! I know it is a test wallet because you won't give me your real private keys to me  Wink . I really like to donate but I am so sorry as I don't have enough BTC now, I am saving it to buy a miner. Anyway give me your BTC address, I will try my best to give you some Smiley .
Kindly,
       Muhammed Zakhir

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: