Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 11:21:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anybody explain HW errors to me like I am a five year old??  (Read 1041 times)
LukeeVassallo (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 06:35:48 PM

I have been experiencing these issues with HW errors, but I can't find anything about them like, what are they and how is a hardware error created and if it because the hardware is damaged? If anybody knows anything about this please share!
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 08:26:39 PM

A miner is more than just one single chip that either works or does not work. A hardware error is basically just a calculation that went wrong.

E.g. you want to calculate 1 + 2 and you know that the result must be odd so when you get 4 you know an error happend, just not which and where. With simple checks like these computers can check if they are working correct or not.

Your miner does this in a similar fashion. It can check whether its fully working or just 9 out of 10 chips.

It is even possible that the chip itself is not damaged but still gets a calculation wrong from time to time. This can happen due to fluctuations in electricity or temperature.

If you make sure that your chips are reasonably temperated (30°C would be perfect, but 50°C is usually fine) and the power supply has a little extra power (~10%) you should be fine.

Overclocking can also be a cause as well as age. Overclocking and heat speeds the aging of a chip. Overclocking usually comes with a increase in power demand as well, which can be another aging factor. Its basically a time/power tradeoff. Your chips will give you more power but die sooner.

Not exactly 5 year old, but if you have further questions feel free to ask Smiley

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 08:30:13 PM

A miner is more than just one single chip that either works or does not work. A hardware error is basically just a calculation that went wrong.

E.g. you want to calculate 1 + 2 and you know that the result must be odd so when you get 4 you know an error happend, just not which and where. With simple checks like these computers can check if they are working correct or not.

Your miner does this in a similar fashion. It can check whether its fully working or just 9 out of 10 chips.

It is even possible that the chip itself is not damaged but still gets a calculation wrong from time to time. This can happen due to fluctuations in electricity or temperature.

If you make sure that your chips are reasonably temperated (30°C would be perfect, but 50°C is usually fine) and the power supply has a little extra power (~10%) you should be fine.

Overclocking can also be a cause as well as age. Overclocking and heat speeds the aging of a chip. Overclocking usually comes with a increase in power demand as well, which can be another aging factor. Its basically a time/power tradeoff. Your chips will give you more power but die sooner.

Not exactly 5 year old, but if you have further questions feel free to ask Smiley

That's a really good explanation, but I would like to make some corrections.
The temperature of the chips depends on your hardware. HW errors are caused by:
-Insufficient Cooling
-Thermal Throttling
-Insufficient Power
-Problems with PSU
-Overclocking is too high
-Chips/Miner actually damaged

Check all of these, make sure that there are no problems with them, and see again. If you cannot get extra cooling, lower the clock.
Overheating can cause permanent damage to your miner.
LukeeVassallo (OP)

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 08:33:46 PM

Thanks for the replies. Well I will try running just 1 blade from my antminer s1 and see how the HW errors are maybe there is a faulty chip, because the HW error is very high at normal clock.... I ran the miner overclocked for 2-2.5 weeks I think and then just started getting a lot of errors. I've owned it for less then a month.

Thanks again guys Smiley)
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 11:29:00 AM

Could HW errors stem from a pool as well?

No, the pool is just giving your machine something to work on and gets the result. While the pool has hardware, the pool itself does not do the calculation. Even if the pool would do some calculations your machine should not be able to detect if any other machine makes calculation mistakes. That would be like me checking whether your CPU is fine just because I download data from you via bittorrent (or something else)

Aclarity

Activity: 33

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 03:58:52 PM

No, the pool is just giving your machine something to work on and gets the result. While the pool has hardware, the pool itself does not do the calculation. Even if the pool would do some calculations your machine should not be able to detect if any other machine makes calculation mistakes. That would be like me checking whether your CPU is fine just because I download data from you via bittorrent (or something else)

can error be mining software
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 04:05:48 PM

Yes the software can be flawed, but most mining software out there is heavily used by many people. Those errors are most likely fixed in all current versions of miner software. Theoretically the software could be corrupted, but thats not likely. Its more likely that the software wouldnt run at all if it was corrupted.

Aclarity

Activity: 33

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 04:07:30 PM

Yes the software can be flawed, but most mining software out there is heavily used by many people. Those errors are most likely fixed in all current versions of miner software. Theoretically the software could be corrupted, but thats not likely. Its more likely that the software wouldnt run at all if it was corrupted.

reccomend what miner software
crashoveride54902

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

Dream become broken often

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 04:09:46 PM

hehe i take it you don't have knc machine then...we waited for at least 5 months for them to fix the cgminer in the FW to correct the flawed hw errors Sad

Dreams of cyprto solving everything is slowly slipping away...Replaced by scams/hacks Sad
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: