Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:05:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin big earners?  (Read 3569 times)
jago25_98 (OP)

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 12:55:31 AM

what are the big earners in bitcoin right now?

1) the exchanges.
Cavat = regulation in most countries

2) silkroad, and i'd guess weed would be most popular

What else is there? What is the next level down and how much are they earning?

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Brian DeLoach
VIP

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 01:19:06 AM

The large pools make a lot, but when the price falls sharply their margins become very thin. The smaller pools are pushed into the red and miners, who are then making a lot less, try to maximize their profits but migrating to no fee pools.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 02:10:07 AM

what are the big earners in bitcoin right now?

1) the exchanges.
Cavat = regulation in most countries

By my estimates Mt. Gox is paying the bills and the rest have not made a dime unless there is a lot of dark-pool activity, but as best I can tell there is not.

Bitcoinica is probably doing OK as a low-overhead show.  (Due to low headcount and shunting the cost of the financial hassles to the exchanges.)

2) silkroad, and i'd guess weed would be most popular

What else is there? What is the next level down and how much are they earning?

Ummm...the scammers and thiefs?

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 02:41:08 AM

Graphics card manufacturers..

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 03:45:17 AM

Big Pools, Big Exchanges, Big whatever.

Clark

Activity: 548
Merit: 502

So much code.

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 07:02:53 AM

I'm earning mad donations from my site...  Wink

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 12:28:47 PM

Yes, it's sad but I also believe the ones who really made money quick with bitcoin are a few early adopters that cashed out last year and scammers/thieves.

Bitcoin is not the tool to make money quick. At least not legally. Hope this news is not too disruptive for most that hold Bitcoin or plan to do business with it.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 12:30:29 PM

Power company Grin
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 03:01:34 PM

INeededALoan is doing pretty well Smiley

(BFL)^2 < 0
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 03:21:42 PM

Yes, it's sad but I also believe the ones who really made money quick with bitcoin are a few early adopters that cashed out last year and scammers/thieves.

What makes you think they cashed out?  It's easy to look back at the price history and imagine how you or someone else would have or should have done this-or-that at some particular time, but in reality these things only make sense in hindsight.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 04:26:31 PM

http://bitcointorrentz.com

not big money, but seems like a good match
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 05:39:35 PM

Strong speculators. In those price swings, there was a lot of money being thrown around.

I started out as a newbie and with small amounts and it went well so far... imagine what an experienced pro starting with six-digit sums might have done.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 07:09:57 PM

What makes you think they cashed out?  It's easy to look back at the price history and imagine how you or someone else would have or should have done this-or-that at some particular time, but in reality these things only make sense in hindsight.

Well, I'm sure there are enthusiasts like me who see the price go up and conclude they should mine more or see the price crumble and send money to Gox. I would only take my money out if I really needed it but I fear a bit that by the time I have to take it out, I will be in for a great loss.
But there are sure also people that know how to trade and recognize a bubble when they see one. These guys are not emotionally connected to the idea of BTC but see this as gambling. If all the BTC were owned by enthusiastic supporters of the project, I wouldn't loose faith that easily Wink

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 08:00:02 PM

Cool   <--- 'nuff said

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 09:02:27 PM

Well, I'm sure there are enthusiasts like me who see the price go up and conclude they should mine more or see the price crumble and send money to Gox. I would only take my money out if I really needed it but I fear a bit that by the time I have to take it out, I will be in for a great loss.
But there are sure also people that know how to trade and recognize a bubble when they see one. These guys are not emotionally connected to the idea of BTC but see this as gambling. If all the BTC were owned by enthusiastic supporters of the project, I wouldn't loose faith that easily Wink

+1

"I find [some people's] lack of faith disturbing."
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 12:10:53 AM

+1

"I find [some people's] lack of faith disturbing."

I find [some people's] blind faith disturbing.

Actually, that is not exactly true.  I'm glad to see it because these people may help me end up in the green, but I suspect that Bitcoin will ultimately survive, if it survives at all, on the back of people who have a more coldly pragmatic view of the world around us and who are innately aware of both the virtues and the warts of the solution...and of alternate solutions (i.e., gold, or even the USD for that matter as everything has it's strengths and weaknesses.)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 12:14:08 AM

We want bitcoin to succeed, not to protect bitcoin against valid criticism.

If we don't address valid concerns, bitcoin will just end up dead.

Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2012, 12:46:17 AM

We want bitcoin to succeed, not to protect bitcoin against valid criticism.

If we don't address valid concerns, bitcoin will just end up dead.

Agreed but what do you see as unaddressed valid concerns ?
When they say at Def COn that they dont believe the bitcoin network can scale up to the number of transactions processed by Vias/Mastercard, I wonder if thats a concern or if thats even a valid statement?
I trust the community can come up with a BIP to fix that if its a valid concern.

RaggedMonk

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 12:55:35 AM

I'll bet Casascius is doing alright for himself.  Maybe he's made 5-10k?
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 01:23:45 AM

Agreed but what do you see as unaddressed valid concerns ?
When they say at Def COn that they dont believe the bitcoin network can scale up to the number of transactions processed by Vias/Mastercard, I wonder if thats a concern or if thats even a valid statement?
I trust the community can come up with a BIP to fix that if its a valid concern.

I believe there were talk of pruning old transactions but that is not done yet.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: