Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:03:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PCI-E 1-to-7 extension card, anyone tried?  (Read 11259 times)
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 09:50:15 PM

For VT-d all you need is a motherboard based on Intel Q series chipset, Q35/Q45 for 775, Q57 for 1156 and Q67 for 1155. It doesn't have to be an expensive server. Ofcourse CPU must support standard VT.
Take a look at my sig link. Wink Can't get much other than server parts for it. If you know of an inexpensive, VT-d capable SHB to fit on it, by all means please let me know. I've been looking at a C206 based board, because I want to ensure compatibility for the future, as well as giving me sufficient RAM headroom for all the VMs I need to run.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bigpiggy01

Activity: 1138
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2012, 04:08:39 PM

It looks like macbook-air has a purchase solution. Shipping at the rate mentioned on there is going to be a  rather interesting proposition.

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
   ▄██████████████████▀ ▄▄██▀
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄
[ POW Algorithm: GhostRider    Anti-FPGA/ASIC ]
Assets/Tokens Masternodes Smart Contracts

.51% / Double Spend Protection, Instant Speed, Private Send.
▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
ice_chill

Activity: 336

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 10:23:59 PM

It looks like macbook-air has a purchase solution. Shipping at the rate mentioned on there is going to be a  rather interesting proposition.

What's the catch ? he is selling for $200 but official price is $230 ? Or is he the one who manufactures them ?
Bigpiggy01

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2012, 11:12:38 PM

Well the supplier whoever he is may be has had issues delivering undamaged product domestically at a comparable freight price. However, it is a good product but anyone claiming to be able to ship something that belongs in fragile freight with the volume and length of one of these + packaging is either A) the supplier and eating at least some freight costs or B) about to get seriously burned.

If you're interested go ahead and buy one but I'd advise using bitmit's escrow until you see undamaged product arrive.

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄

▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
macbook-air (OP)

Activity: 324
Merit: 260

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2012, 02:38:20 AM

It looks like macbook-air has a purchase solution. Shipping at the rate mentioned on there is going to be a  rather interesting proposition.

What's the catch ? he is selling for $200 but official price is $230 ? Or is he the one who manufactures them ?

I have a spare one that I don't have enough video cards to fill all the 7 slots. The card had been tested and confirmed working well. 42+5 BTC is the starting price, you can bid for it. Warranty goes to the original seller, but I can help you communicate with him if needed.

discordian666

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 12:42:07 AM

I'm intending on getting one of these soon, I have the cards to fill it just need to arrange an order Wink
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 07:46:45 AM

I'm intending on getting one of these soon, I have the cards to fill it just need to arrange an order Wink

Same here but concerned about a couple of things :

-warranty
-who the actual seller is
-product arriving intact through post
-what revision will we get
-does it have bugs still like short SATA cable
-costs of import + shipping etc.

Anyone else in the UK buying this Huh
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 01:12:53 PM

Would SATA cables rated for SATA III work better than SATA II? I don't know if the cables are actually different, but maybe they are.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Bigpiggy01

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2012, 04:54:31 PM

Would SATA cables rated for SATA III work better than SATA II? I don't know if the cables are actually different, but maybe they are.

I tried with SATA III instead of II hoping to get an extra 5cm but it didn't work stably Sad However SATA III in the same length works just fine thought I don't see any performance difference at all difference.

Other options for better connectors would be HDMI cables that are supposedly also capable of handling pci-e 1x in much greater lengths USB 3.0 is supposedly also capable of handling pci-e 1X however I have 0 info on lengths etc.

-warranty

Well if I sell stuff I'm the seller however I'm not willing to move these personally until I have a proper working solution.

After receiving damaged product via domestic shipping here, I have become extremely leery of just selling this as I do with other taobao items, as basically I don't want to deal with the hassle of returns etc except in fairly extreme situations such as lost/damaged in transit and would rather leave it than having to deal with such on a regular basis.

Atm they're shipping 2.0 with the sata connectors.

My only complaints atm are again shipping and sata length (this needs resolving in order to use multiple boards or attach this to a cased rig).

Import costs ought to be negligible as I can at least ship 1-2 pieces marked as "samples" shipping however is atm NASTY the cheapest fragile solution i have atm is around 95 USD per item to US/EU I'm still working on this as it really ruins the economic feasibility of this as an expansion route.

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄

▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
discordian666

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 05:10:25 PM

I tried with SATA III instead of II hoping to get an extra 5cm but it didn't work stably Sad However SATA III in the same length works just fine thought I don't see any performance difference at all difference.

Other options for better connectors would be HDMI cables that are supposedly also capable of handling pci-e 1x in much greater lengths USB 3.0 is supposedly also capable of handling pci-e 1X however I have 0 info on lengths etc.

-warranty

Well if I sell stuff I'm the seller however I'm not willing to move these personally until I have a proper working solution.

After receiving damaged product via domestic shipping here, I have become extremely leery of just selling this as I do with other taobao items, as basically I don't want to deal with the hassle of returns etc except in fairly extreme situations such as lost/damaged in transit and would rather leave it than having to deal with such on a regular basis.

Atm they're shipping 2.0 with the sata connectors.

My only complaints atm are again shipping and sata length (this needs resolving in order to use multiple boards or attach this to a cased rig).

Import costs ought to be negligible as I can at least ship 1-2 pieces marked as "samples" shipping however is atm NASTY the cheapest fragile solution i have atm is around 95 USD per item to US/EU I'm still working on this as it really ruins the economic feasibility of this as an expansion route.

I could only hazard a guess how insane the costs will be to australia then Sad ironically TAOBAO to here would be an easier solution however the onsite translation really sucks through chrome and they dont seem to like my phone number for their "verification' thing so i'm trying to get some help in sorting this out

Good luck in getting the issues sorted out Bigpiggy
Bigpiggy01

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2012, 06:06:27 PM

I could only hazard a guess how insane the costs will be to australia then Sad ironically TAOBAO to here would be an easier solution however the onsite translation really sucks through chrome and they dont seem to like my phone number for their "verification' thing so i'm trying to get some help in sorting this out

Ummm AUS is about 35% cheaper than US/EU on regular courier freight from China the same applies to fragile but the cost is still daunting. I think this is going to end up with me taking a trip down south (planned anyway) picking up a smaller batch and then packaging them myself prior to shipment (if I can figure out something fairly easy this might even be able to go through regular freight) as dISh has also just received a damaged batch Sad

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄

▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 06:08:21 PM

Ummm AUS is about 35% cheaper than US/EU on regular courier freight from China the same applies to fragile but the cost is still daunting. I think this is going to end up with me taking a trip down south (planned anyway) picking up a smaller batch and then packaging them myself prior to shipment (if I can figure out something fairly easy this might even be able to go through regular freight) as dISh has also just received a damaged batch Sad
Where does the damage usually occur? Is it just the thing snapping in half because it is so long? You might be able to alleviate that with double corrugated cardboard on both side of it. Wrap the sandwich in tape, and add bubble wrap to that.

bulanula

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 06:29:07 PM

This made me LOL. Cables are exactly the same.

SATA III is just controller mambo jumbo magic.
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2012, 05:07:45 AM

I just prefer this, clean and confined

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816152125R

ice_chill

Activity: 336

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 09:37:17 AM

The point here is to get the most hash/$. That server is a ripoff.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 01:21:56 PM

That power distribution PCB is awesome. Wonder how much that part would cost. Looks like it has pairs of 6 and 8 pin connectors.

Jaryu

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 01:43:23 AM

I read the posts but unless I somehow missed I didn't see the details on your actual computer setup, MB, CPU, Video Cards used. Will that AMD virtualization and KVM work on any modern AMD setup or is it limited to certain MB chipset & CPU series? Which virtual machine software are you using? VMware is the only one I've played around with a long time ago.

I am pretty computer savy, worked doing computer repairs for a few years, but never worked with server hardware so never had a need to learn about virtualization on hardware/software.
discordian666

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 02:13:21 AM

I read the posts but unless I somehow missed I didn't see the details on your actual computer setup, MB, CPU, Video Cards used. Will that AMD virtualization and KVM work on any modern AMD setup or is it limited to certain MB chipset & CPU series? Which virtual machine software are you using? VMware is the only one I've played around with a long time ago.

I am pretty computer savy, worked doing computer repairs for a few years, but never worked with server hardware so never had a need to learn about virtualization on hardware/software.

I think the chipset on motherboard your using and CPU has to support VT-D virtualization for it to work, my current setup seems to support this so i'm probably going to bit the bullet and buy one of these this week

Got a whole bunch of 5850's for cheap that need a good home Smiley

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 01:11:07 PM

AMD offers the equivalent of VT-d (some say it is even better actually), called IOMMU. If you have an AMD based platform, that is the option you need for this to work.

bulanula

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 04:37:22 PM

Any update on this board ?

Where can I get some too Huh
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: