Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:13:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC - "Money sending mobile app launched" - Anyone thinking what I'm thinking?  (Read 1172 times)
norulezapply (OP)

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 12:09:54 PM

The article - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17057570

Does anyone else read this article and get somewhat frustrated about them not mentioning Bitcoin?
I can understand why, but Bitcoin is perfect for this kind of thing. Or is it just me?
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
garyrowe

Activity: 198
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 01:42:22 PM

It's not just you. The BBC have run several articles (frequently positive) about Bitcoin (particularly when the exchange rate went through the roof) but, as always, the moment it ceases to have a wow factor it fizzles out. They are probably not introducing it because it would defocus the article.

Reading the comments, most folks seem to be treating the announcement with "Meh" which is typical. The service itself is very limited and given the severe regulatory environment that banks operate under is unlikely to grow into something international which is where Bitcoin wins. It does serve a useful purpose, though, which is to soften up the mainstream to the idea of digital cash which is definitely welcome news.

schnell

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 01:50:20 PM

Yeah, I saw this on the itv news just as I was reading this. It fustrates me how the presenter is saying the app people 'caused a revolution' when they only copied bitcoin.
garyrowe

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 02:07:14 PM

Remember that "they caused a revolution" is just news rhetoric to attract attention. They haven't copied Bitcoin - they've just provided a mobile client to their standard account payment systems in a very limited form. An evolutionary development at best, certainly not revolutionary.

schnell

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 02:17:11 PM

Remember that "they caused a revolution" is just news rhetoric to attract attention. They haven't copied Bitcoin - they've just provided a mobile client to their standard account payment systems in a very limited form. An evolutionary development at best, certainly not revolutionary.

Yes, I agree with what you said, but this is giving the public the wrong idea.
Essentially they did nothing, but for somereason they are all over the news.
garyrowe

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 02:23:27 PM

Essentially they did nothing, but for somereason they are all over the news.

Welcome to the media of today!

:-)

Bank noisily does something mildly interesting - NEWS!
Bunch of people quietly change the world - tumbleweed

Of course, it could just be a slow news day...

kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 02:39:04 PM

I read through about 30 of 50 comments so far.  (will continue on my bus ride home)

Why has no one registered with this website to post a comment regarding why bitcoin will be better.

Also has anyone looked at the fee structure for this yet?

M-pesa (the mobile payment system in Kenya) has been accepted by almost 15 million users, but the fees can be 1% ish.

This is where bitcoin can shine! 

However, I think bitcoin needs a smart phone, which people may not have.

I do recall seeing development projects for SMS text message bitcoin transactions, but I haven't been following that for a while.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
garyrowe

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 03:45:51 PM

There is a small mention of Bitcoin in there: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17057570?postId=111741470#comment_111741470

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: