Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:12:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 years ago...let's reminisce  (Read 12084 times)
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 04:54:55 PM

Three years ago I was buying silver and gold like an idiot.

Oh well, lesson learned. Don't buy into all the hype.

Yup, I was in the exact same boat. If only I had reversed the percentages of my portfolio for metals and bitcoin.

Hmm, won't people buying bitcoin now be considered "buying into all the hype"?
Or maybe in a few years...

Despite the bulls who like to say with certainty "not a chance", I'd answer: sure, it's possible. I can think of several scenarios in which Bitcoin, more or less, fails, and people who bought coins at $650 would be thought of as "buying into the hype".

There are still two good reasons to invest nonetheless: given the (admittedly) huge upside potential, the expected return might still be positive. And: I don't see most "failure" scenarios if one of them would happen as happening over night, so you could hope to get out in time before price approaches zero.

In other words: it's rational to buy at this price, in my opinion. Just don't delude yourself that it's "riskless" or "a sure thing".

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 08:58:32 PM

In other words: it's rational to buy at this price, in my opinion. Just don't delude yourself that it's "riskless" or "a sure thing".

the wisest of all words.

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 09:12:53 PM

I hope there is a thread like this in 3 years and I can write: "I invested nearly everything I could afford to lose into this".

Hehe

sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 09:30:07 PM

So I just came across an old spreadsheet I used to track my orders on bitcoinica and calculate my zhoutong price...

These are the orders I had in on bitcoinica when it went bust with about $700 in it....

Granted they wouldn't all have filled in the end, but they were nervous times. I spent hours arguing with myself about whether I should buy more coins for more than $3 and how much I should hold back to buy on dips.

I was making a real play for the vladimir club hehe

Didn't turn out quite as I expected Smiley

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 02:18:23 PM

2011 really set off a strange series of events for me.

If my brother hadn't been living in Japan at the time of the Fukushima thing, I might still have been asleep to the world. Instead, I now had a vested interest in the situation, so I started to try to find some real news about what was going on.

That started a trip down the rabbit hole that inevitably led to bitcoin. I think by June of 2011 I was telling everyone I knew about how cool bitcoin was and how it would kill the banks and topple governments. I couldn't figure out why everyone just laughed or looked at me funny.  Undecided

and then I found this place  Grin

Thanks for sharing Wink

You were very ahead of most, I am dreaming on what will be said in 3 years of time
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 02:43:08 PM

So I just came across an old spreadsheet I used to track my orders on bitcoinica and calculate my zhoutong price...

These are the orders I had in on bitcoinica when it went bust with about $700 in it....
<snip>

Granted they wouldn't all have filled in the end, but they were nervous times. I spent hours arguing with myself about whether I should buy more coins for more than $3 and how much I should hold back to buy on dips.

That is amazing.  So I'm guessing you had (or still have) hundreds of coins from back in the day?
picolo

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 10:26:27 PM

<snip>

That is amazing.  So I'm guessing you had (or still have) hundreds of coins from back in the day?

He could have a few thousands or 50 depending on if he hold strong or not

He has 0.005 BTC in his donation address Grin and 0 in 16oZHZ62XZsoLjfZDpw3gUZAbp4zWMAmR3 that is showed on his website
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 12:08:15 PM

So, almost exactly 3 years ago a lot of us were euphorically watching as bitcoin blew through the $20 range and into the $30s.  Not long after reaching nearly $33, there was a series of relatively large sell-offs into pretty thin bids, and that ultimately bottomed out around $10.

The price "recovered" to around $17 and then we were all epically goxxed with an insane hackcrash from $17 to, basically, $0.  It was gut-wrenching.  I was on my way to the gym when it happened and casually opened the price app on my phone to see the price was under $10.  I was a little disturbed, but it's bitcoin.  At another stop light I checked again and the price was under $5.  That's when I called my wife and frantically attempted to explain to her how to log on to MtGox and put in a sell order...by the time she logged in the price was $0.25 and I said, "well, shit, it's pretty much all gone..."

Share your story.

So what happened next, did you keep them to one side and hold, or did you recover what you could? I hope that it was the former.

giveBTCpls

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 01:29:13 PM

3 years ago I saw some stories on bitcoin at slashdot and other places and stupidly ignored them

Oh, basically this. I saw it getting mentioned in some news, but ignored it as it was linked to criminal activities, didnt research further. Since then a feeling of bitterness conquers my mind a lot throught the day. Hopefully Bitcoin goes to 100K a coin during the next 10 years or I will be too old to enjoy the money fully.  Cry

tabnloz
Legendary

Activity: 961
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 03:15:54 PM

Really interesting thread.

Everyone can look back in hindsight and say 'I should have done that' but to get into something like bitcoin so early on meant you would have had to navigate some uncharted waters. And it also meant you had to have some intelligent 'influencers' or defining experiences. Or just be really switched on, Roger Ver style. Kudos to everyone who did and is still here.

I've really found it an enjoyable trip down the rabbit hole. For me, there was no more influential experience than losing a pretty penny during the financial crisis. Before that it was follow the herd investing even when I didn't understand what I was doing (stocks/ options etc). But it led me to educating myself and in about feb of 13 to bitcoin.

spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:45:43 PM

I have an bad feeling we will be re-testing the $360..  HODL.. remember 2011-2012.
CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 02:22:01 PM

I have an bad feeling we will be re-testing the $360..  HODL.. remember 2011-2012.

2011 was a one time event. It would be very unlikely to see another drop followed by a long sustained decline again. The bubble of 2011 seriously shook confidence in bitcoin. It took a year and a half to recover. That bubble, and the two in 2013 have all tempered the market. Each new raise and drop will have that history and the inevitable rebound to consider. Of course, it's on a logarithmic scale... so it's still pretty turbulent.

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 09:48:32 PM

2011 was a one time event. It would be very unlikely to see another drop followed by a long sustained decline again. The bubble of 2011 seriously shook confidence in bitcoin. It took a year and a half to recover. That bubble, and the two in 2013 have all tempered the market. Each new raise and drop will have that history and the inevitable rebound to consider. Of course, it's on a logarithmic scale... so it's still pretty turbulent.

Indeed. Pump and dump or ponzi schemes never recover so a tremendous amount of confidence was gained by people around the world when the price of Bitcoin recovered and beat the ATH. Every time this cycle is repeated base trust get's higher. It's kind of silly, as everyone that truly gets Bitcoin knows it's not a ponzi scheme, but that's what it is.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 10:49:36 PM

So, almost exactly 3 years ago a lot of us were euphorically watching as bitcoin blew through the $20 range and into the $30s.  Not long after reaching nearly $33, there was a series of relatively large sell-offs into pretty thin bids, and that ultimately bottomed out around $10.

The price "recovered" to around $17 and then we were all epically goxxed with an insane hackcrash from $17 to, basically, $0.  It was gut-wrenching.  I was on my way to the gym when it happened and casually opened the price app on my phone to see the price was under $10.  I was a little disturbed, but it's bitcoin.  At another stop light I checked again and the price was under $5.  That's when I called my wife and frantically attempted to explain to her how to log on to MtGox and put in a sell order...by the time she logged in the price was $0.25 and I said, "well, shit, it's pretty much all gone..."

Share your story.
This was written the night before Gox was due to finally re-open:

When the Hot Deadly Lava from MtGox is Inches from Your Feet how Will YOU React?

"In ancient Pompeii many people were needlessly killed the day their fine city was flooded by the local volcano named Mt. Vesuvius.
Later today, many good people could lose a lot of money when our fine community is flooded  by the local volcano named Mt Gox.  Roll Eyes

Question: What really caused all those needless deaths in Pompeii?
Answer: People panicked.

The open gates of the city got blocked by a massive stampede of terrified people. The first dozen, or so, in front wanted to leave but their legs were pinned under 5 or 10 other people, who were about to die because they were also trapped under the people behind them.

Question: What can we learn from about all the needless deaths in Pompeii?" ...
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=19880.0

picolo

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 01:05:50 PM

Indeed. Pump and dump or ponzi schemes never recover so a tremendous amount of confidence was gained by people around the world when the price of Bitcoin recovered and beat the ATH. Every time this cycle is repeated base trust get's higher. It's kind of silly, as everyone that truly gets Bitcoin knows it's not a ponzi scheme, but that's what it is.

There has been a lot of market manipulation but it is actually players making moves and the market volatility has not prevent the price to go up every year
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 02:49:46 PM

...the price to go up every year

3 years from now, a much bigger group of members will be talking about the huge Rally in late 2014!

thisisthis

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 06:15:45 PM

3 years from now, a much bigger group of members will be talking about the huge Rally in late 2014!

I really hope so, I'm holding and won't sell even if we hit single digits.
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 06:46:55 PM

Maybe it can take some months, maybe an year, but bitcoin will surely hit a new ATH sooner or later, just hold and wait for it.
Baitty

Activity: 532

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 07:00:07 PM

Maybe it can take some months, maybe an year, but bitcoin will surely hit a new ATH sooner or later, just hold and wait for it.

We can never say 'surely' as there will always be risks in Bitcoin and there will be no guarenteed result otherwise it would of already been adopted by many of the rich people in the world. It's a experiment which I think will pay off if people can hold and trade at the same time otherwise if too many hold and dont trade with it it becomes worthless.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
maok

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 07:38:59 PM

We can never say 'surely' as there will always be risks in Bitcoin and there will be no guarenteed result otherwise it would of already been adopted by many of the rich people in the world. It's a experiment which I think will pay off if people can hold and trade at the same time otherwise if too many hold and dont trade with it it becomes worthless.
yes everyone should be active in trading with a portion of their bitcoin stash, it provides liquidity and helps discover the real market price, otherwise Bitcoin becomes liable to market manipulation which we've seen so many times.

QRKHn6UK3ToS53V6jD1rYWRYS4mxQ1mako
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▀▄▀▄▀ Quark core wallet updates  ▀▄▀▄▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: