Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:47:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tor Hosting?  (Read 2856 times)
kokjo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 24, 2011, 11:52:14 AM

hi!
would you use a small(128mbram, 2g hd, 10kb/s) tor uml-based hosting. (what i can offer for now, will be bigger if the interest rises)
all your traffic will get anonymized through tor, and you could get as many tor address as you want. but still you would not be running/setup the tor server, i would run the server and i could(if i wanted to, but i don't) see all your traffic.

for example small prototyping of bitcoin relatet projects?

its not for strong anonymity but ease of use.

if you would how much do you think you would buy it for?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2011, 12:17:17 PM

I think what you should offer is Tor forwarding(especially with such limited resources), that is have it set up so that your server has multiple Tor (or i2p) addresses, and then forwards the traffic from those addresses over a https connection/tunnel to another server(which only you and your client know, don't keep any traffic records).

This will allow others to get onto Tor and run services from there without the hastle of having to run their own node software(which is a real pain), it also means that you will probably be able to get the most out of what little resources you have.

You can certainly do this with i2p, I'm not sure about Tor, is it possible to have multiple .onion addresses for a single Tor node?

At least, this is definetly a service that I want (and I'm willing to pay for), I think others would really want this too and you could easily charge a modest fee. Help people register a .i2p address that goes to the server too, would be great.

This is an area that my syndicate will be moving into in the future (after a few other things are taken care of), safe, secure hosting withing cypherspace.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
kokjo (OP)
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 24, 2011, 12:46:48 PM

I think what you should offer is Tor forwarding(especially with such limited resources), that is have it set up so that your server has multiple Tor (or i2p) addresses, and then forwards the traffic from those addresses over a https connection/tunnel to another server(which only you and your client know, don't keep any traffic records).

This will allow others to get onto Tor and run services from there without the hastle of having to run their own node software(which is a real pain), it also means that you will probably be able to get the most out of what little resources you have.

You can certainly do this with i2p, I'm not sure about Tor, is it possible to have multiple .onion addresses for a single Tor node?

At least, this is definetly a service that I want (and I'm willing to pay for), I think others would really want this too and you could easily charge a modest fee. Help people register a .i2p address that goes to the server too, would be great.

This is an area that my syndicate will be moving into in the future (after a few other things are taken care of), safe, secure hosting withing cypherspace.
the problem with only providing tor forwarding, it that its at least as difficult as setting up tor yourself...
what i am offering is that you get a simple solution where you get a normal ip address(eg. 10.1.0.50) on a private subnet(eg. 10.1.0.0/16).
you run your service as normal, and then having a little nice web interface where you map random_tor_address.onion:port to 10.1.0.50:port. simple, clean and easy.
of course when i get users/money enough i will buy a new bigger and better server andmuch more bandwidth. Cheesy

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Nefario

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2011, 01:14:23 PM

I was thinking that I have a server that is running say... a http service on port 9090, so I would give you an ip and port 123.122.122.1:9090 , you then have your server forward traffic from a tor address to my server.

Easy, right?

kokjo (OP)
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 24, 2011, 01:20:56 PM

I was thinking that I have a server that is running say... a http service on port 9090, so I would give you an ip and port 123.122.122.1:9090 , you then have your server forward traffic from a tor address to my server.

Easy, right?

Very Easy. Smiley ... but what if your have a dynamic ip... say 123.122.122.1 today 123.122.122.67 tomorrow, many people have that.
then you would need to update it every day, or you people could not access your site. Sad
you could also make some kind of auto updater, but i don't think people will use it, they would just run their own tor server

Nefario

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2011, 01:41:09 PM

Easy, right?

Very Easy. Smiley ... but what if your have a dynamic ip... say 123.122.122.1 today 123.122.122.67 tomorrow, many people have that.
then you would need to update it every day, or you people could not access your site. Sad
you could also make some kind of auto updater, but i don't think people will use it, they would just run their own tor server

If it's a real server (or a vps) and not someones MacMini in their bedroom then this will not be a problem as most real servers have a fixed ip.

Running our own Tor server is a pain, we don't want to run our own Tor server for the same reason most people don't want to run their own DNS server or mail server etc.

How would we go about having the forwarded traffic encrypted, the easiest way(that is the smallest amount of work from my side)?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: