Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:23:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Valid Arguments on Whether Drugs Should Be Legalized for Personal Consumption  (Read 3383 times)
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 09:06:05 AM

You missed the point, or ignored it. Water intoxication can occur just by drinking too much water. Breathing air too high in oxygen is damaging, and can cause brain damage and blindness.

Of course, this is why you don't do those things that can put you in danger.  Why risk death for temporary pleasure when there are plenty of natural ways to have fun?

On a more sober note, harsh prescriptive laws won't work in the long term (I wouldn't believe the Singapore govt stats - Singapore maybe a parliamentary republic in name, but how many different parties have actually run the place?)

That just seems like simple denialism.  The stats are the stats, harsher drug laws work for Singapore and they could work in the US. 

Choosing to use drugs is exercising freedom, not sacrificing it.

As I pointed out before, once you are addicted you are no longer exercising freedom.  You are controlled by the drug and compelled to continue using it.  Addiction directly results in harm to others as addicts resort to theft or crash cars in intoxicated states or any other number of things that can occur when you are in a state of intoxication.  Your freedom to punch ends at my nose.

What about fatty foods?  Should they be illegal as well considering all the harm they can cause to the friends and family of the morbidly obsese, not to mention the implicated costs of treating morbid obesity through state and government funded programs like Medicaid and Medicare that are paid with our taxes?

Food is neccesary for people to live.  Abuse is a shame, but food can't be banned like drugs can.  You don't die if you don't get high.

I've also wondered how much money pharmaceutical companies would make developing party drugs that are guaranteed non-addictive and safe? Would you still be against drugs they were safe and non-addictive? Or do you just not like people havin' fun?

No drug is ever without side effects.  That is okay if their use is medically necessary, but not when the goal is only some immature fun.

Why do you trust the interpretation of the "singapore stats" from a single news article? The more in-depth stats (source= singapore government) show that DRUG ABUSE IN SINGAPORE HAS RISEN MORE THAN 4-FOLD SINCE 2005. This is an increase of 70% per year. It is a huge increase. The stats are the stats, after all, so draconian drug laws must not work.

Also, people can live without love. I personally think we should ban love because it leads to irrational behavior and any number of bad decisions, even leading to violence (especially against women). Do you agree or disagree?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 11:57:47 AM
Last edit: March 03, 2012, 01:15:17 PM by Scott J

I am not talking about sex addiction. I am talking about loving someone (being addicted to them) so much that you go into a fit of rage when they do something you do not like.

I must inform you at this point that if you tell me you are abusing your partner I will be seeking to report you to the relavent authorities.

I'm going to be afk for a few hours before I can resume this conversation, anyone that is facing challenges with drug issues should check out this site:

http://www.narconon.org/

There is hope.
Nice link there - Narconon is a Scientology front used to push vulnerable people towards their 'religion'.

Rarity, do you happen to be a Scientologist?

If so, I'm interested in how your beliefs affect your views on drugs. What is the official Scientology position on drugs?  

If not, were you aware of the background to the the link you posted?
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 04:15:39 PM

This was posted somewhere and reminded me how ineffective the war on drugs is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contaminated_currency

In 1994, the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals determined that in Los Angeles, out of every four banknotes, on average more than three are tainted by cocaine or another illicit drug

Forensic scientists have said that around 80% of all British banknotes contain traces of drugs. A 1999 study found even higher levels of contamination in the London area; of 500 notes tested, only four had no traces of cocaine.

So, Rarity (or those of a similar mindset), how much are you willing to pay each year to stop this from happening?
drakahn

Activity: 504

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 09:42:16 PM

Rarity must be high

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: