Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:03:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet API  (Read 596 times)
usao (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1109
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 03:13:32 PM

Im looking for information on how to access the blockchain for current and historical details.
As I understand, you must have a wallet installed and current. Beyond that, im not sure what to do.
Im running on a Linux server, and interested in writing external code to access the blockchain details.
My goal is to load those details into my own database.
I know it has something to do with accessing the wallet through an API but I need to get some details or examples.
Thanks
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 01:12:20 AM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Original_Bitcoin_client/API_calls_list
usao (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 01:57:14 AM

That's great, I appreciate the reference, but I still don't know "how" to make those calls except through the debug window typing them by hand.
Im looking for a programatic interface. A way of calling the wallet remotely from Unix shell and getting the result back to the shell.
Bitornio

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 03:30:43 AM

That's great, I appreciate the reference, but I still don't know "how" to make those calls except through the debug window typing them by hand.
Im looking for a programatic interface. A way of calling the wallet remotely from Unix shell and getting the result back to the shell.

I am not sure what you are asking? Run the daemon and just make commands as needed i.e. bitcoind getaccount

How you decide to integrate that will depend on your knowledge of computer science. check this out:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/API_reference_%28JSON-RPC%29
usao (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 03:41:13 AM

I am not sure what you are asking? Run the daemon and just make commands as needed i.e. bitcoind getaccount

How you decide to integrate that will depend on your knowledge of computer science. check this out:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/API_reference_%28JSON-RPC%29
That's great for  bitcoin, but what about other altcoins?
does each coin have it's own daemon?
I was told earlier that the API was a call direct to the wallet, but I couldn't get details on how to "make" that call.
If I had, say, 10 wallets, does each have a seperate daemon?
It appeared from prior question I posted that you would make some sort of API type call to the wallet through a port, but I couldn't get specific answers or examples of how to do that for a generic wallet.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 07:32:44 PM

That's great for  bitcoin, but what about other altcoins?

Each coin has its own developer or developers.  Those developers can program the coin however they like to do whatever they want.  There is no guarantee that they will be supported, updated, or maintained.  You have to contact the developer or support staff of each coin you want to interface with, or else you need to learn to read the source code of each coin.

Many coins are just copies of bitcoin with a few very minor changes.  In such cases, most of those altcoin wallets will use the same interface as bitcoin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: