Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:30:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I prove that I'm not stevenbucks?  (Read 2115 times)
SteveB (OP)

Activity: 170
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2011, 06:06:02 PM

Ok, this is getting very annoying!
Every time I post in this forum, there seems to be someone accusing me of being stevenbucks.

I AM NOT STEVENBUCKS!

If I had known that there was a scammer with a similar name to mine, I would have chosen a different name when I signed up for the forum. But at that time I did not know of stevenbucks. Only after I got accused for the first time did I do a forum search for him and learned of what he did.

Steve just happens to be my real first name and B is the first letter of my last name.
I thought about just re-registering under a different username, but I would rather not do that.

So how do I prove to you guys that I'm not stevenbucks without loosing all my privacy?
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitlotto

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2011, 06:10:23 PM

umm...
Give me 100 BTC? Perhaps he wouldn't do that?
or
Find a way of proving what country he is in right now, then hopefully you are in a different one, go to a landmark right away and take a picture of yourself holding a newspaper...lol

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
SteveB (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2011, 06:26:08 PM

umm...
Give me 100 BTC? Perhaps he wouldn't do that?
or
Find a way of proving what country he is in right now, then hopefully you are in a different one, go to a landmark right away and take a picture of yourself holding a newspaper...lol

I did give a loan of 20 BTC to JackRabiit earlier this morning. Does that count?
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4946.msg93976#msg93976
SteveB (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2011, 06:36:37 PM

And I also participated in mndrix's Lending Pool Auction Experiment:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5749.msg85355#msg85355
SteveB (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2011, 06:44:09 PM
Last edit: April 24, 2011, 07:15:27 PM by SteveB

And I did get a positive rating in the List of honest traders after a trade with bitjet:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=484.msg72933#msg72933
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 24, 2011, 09:55:39 PM

I'd say just go about your business, and if people doubt your honesty/reputation then point them to others' ratings of you.

Sucks that you have to be caught up in all of that, that guy was an idiot.
The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2011, 10:37:13 PM

Hunt down StevenBucks, post a picture of his decapitated head to the forum and we'll be satisfied. 

Kidding.  I for one believe you, but The Kid is right.  You've stated that you're not him, so just carry on and prove over time through actions that you are not.  Or sign up under a different account with a different user name.  You are new enough that you are not going to lose a lot by switching to a new profile.  It boils down to a cost benefit analysis for you, but it's my opinion that your actions so far have proven that you are not StevenBucks and that if you continue to act honestly and fairly everyone will come around.

Besides, logically, if StevenBucks were to come back to the forum why the hell would he choose a username so close to his previous one?  It would be far more likely he'd create a new name completely different from his previous one.  UNLESS he came back to make amends, in which case he is not you either because you're not trying to make amends.   Cool

Long story short: The Script welcomes you to the bitcoin forum and looks forward to the many positive contributions you will bring to this community.
Ian Maxwell

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2011, 12:23:30 AM

Well, if you were stevenbucks trying to hide behind a new identity, SteveB would be a particularly poor choice, so I for one believe you.

As far as proof... if someone insists on disbelieving you, I'm not sure what you can do. I guess you could get stevenbucks' victims to believe you, and then everyone else would follow.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
vuce

Activity: 476

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 12:32:54 AM

I'm actually stevenbucks so you're in the clear. /solved
The Script

Activity: 336

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 01:56:11 AM

I'm actually stevenbucks so you're in the clear. /solved

PM me your address. 
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2011, 02:21:57 AM

Stevenbucks never paid back his debt so just pay what he owes and we'll know it couldn't be you. Smiley

Don't feel too ripped off though. When people scam it hurts all newbies. Can't do much but start with small ways to build trust. Even if you were Stevenbucks you could make a new name, be honest and eventually you would have an account with a good rep.

I think we know that he was in NY so if you live in a different city take some photos and put a dated bitcoin sign in them and we'll know you aren't him or you are on vacation Smiley

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 06:26:16 AM

you are on vacation Smiley

I now expect a picture of stevenbucks holding up a dated bitcoin sign in Las Vegas. Wink

Activity: 476

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 08:49:23 AM

I think you are stevenbucks and were to stupid not to choose a different name.

Also, you can't prove that you aren't stevenbucks, just like you can't prove that the Invisible Pink Unicorn doesn't exist. Then again, I can't prove that I'm not stevenbucks either. Ooh, bugger.
PHPAdam

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 01:04:00 PM

stevenbucks is before my time.

If you want to prove you are not him, take a photo of your computer logged in as SteveB, with a valid ID such as passport.
Sure you dont want to show your real ID online, so cover up the remaining letters of surname after say first three (if its not "Buc") and any cover up any other codes.

Or alternatively, re-register.
Or alternatively, ignore them.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 01:17:34 PM

I did give a loan of 20 BTC to JackRabiit earlier this morning. Does that count?
Yes it does. The scammer was always borrowing money to feed his gambling habit, and would never have been lending money.
skull88

Activity: 683

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 01:44:48 PM

Yes it does. The scammer was always borrowing money to feed his gambling habit, and would never have been lending money.
Maybe he hit the Jackpot?  Grin

@Steve: Just ignore them or take another account, actually it is pretty stupid to think that someone is a scammer just because his name has some resemblances with a previous scammer, while his actions show something totally different. Chances are much higher that the scammer comes back with a totally diferent name (unless he is really really really stupid).

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
SteveB (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 01:43:19 AM

Thanks to everybody for the support! I wasn't sure what the response would be, but so far it has been very positive.

I'm going to continue to use my current forum name and hopefully over time I can prove through my actions that I am an honest person and not anything like stevenbucks.

I would rather not re-register under a different name. I finally got rid of the newbie tag and moved up to jr. member. I would also lose my one positive rating in the list of honest traders.

I'm not going to ask for any loans anytime soon, I'm more interested in lending and maybe selling an item or two, using clearcoin if necessary.

It is my hope that by discussing this in the open, it will lessen at least some doubt that some members of the community seem to be having.

As for the landmark picture that some of you mentioned: How would that prove that I'm not stevenbucks? If I were him I could just have a friend or relative of mine, that lives in a part of the world other than New York pose in front of some landmark and use that picture for myself.
Also, I live in a rural area in the province of Alberta, Canada and there are no famous landmarks near here. Unless snow counts as a landmark. We still have lots of that. Although the weather finally warmed up in the last couple of days and it is now melting fast.
gigitrix

Activity: 630

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 08:21:10 PM

You are going to get asked it again and again, just tell them that it would be the world's dumbest move to have such a similar username (and point to your accomplishments here).
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 07:31:59 AM

You are going to get asked it again and again, just tell them that it would be the world's dumbest move to have such a similar username (and point to your accomplishments here).
what he said

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: