Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:58:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you use options in your trading strategy?  (Voting closed: February 20, 2012, 05:48:38 AM)
I understand option trading and I use options. - 2 (4.4%)
I understand option trading but I dont use options. - 8 (17.8%)
I don't understand option trading. - 24 (53.3%)
I understand option trading but don't know any bitcoin option markets. - 11 (24.4%)
Total Voters: 45

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you use options in your trading strategy?  (Read 1935 times)
stochastic (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 05:48:38 AM

Just curious how many people here use options in their trading strategy.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2012, 06:05:16 AM

Would you like to tell us about a site where we can trade bitcoin options?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
stochastic (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 06:20:37 AM

Would you like to tell us about a site where we can trade bitcoin options?

No, I have not used it yet.  When I do I will report back.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
M4v3R

Activity: 607

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 07:04:04 AM

You can trade options here: http://polimedia.us/bitcoin/options.php
stochastic (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 11:07:35 AM

I want to give them a try eventually.  A good options market will do wonders of keeping volatility down.  Imagine if more people protected their long positions with buying a put.  Then if the price declined too much at least they would not panic.

Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 03:51:53 PM

I see there are experiments on options in Bitcoin, but I don't see it being trustworthy enough yet, so no. I did want to get options at times, but the offers I checked at the time weren't to be taken serious.

Frankly, I don't trust this polimedia site. They offer me 800 puts this month at 3.5 BTC for 12 BTC or so, executable any time? Sounds like a scam, either they won't pay either way or they'll just say "lol I'm bankrupt" at the first unforeseen event.
copumpkin
Donator

Activity: 266
Merit: 252

I'm actually a pineapple

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 07:05:50 PM

I see there are experiments on options in Bitcoin, but I don't see it being trustworthy enough yet, so no. I did want to get options at times, but the offers I checked at the time weren't to be taken serious.

Frankly, I don't trust this polimedia site. They offer me 800 puts this month at 3.5 BTC for 12 BTC or so, executable any time? Sounds like a scam, either they won't pay either way or they'll just say "lol I'm bankrupt" at the first unforeseen event.

No, it's trustworthy. The guy behind it, mircea_popescu, is a regular at #bitcoin-otc and has a good rating on the web of trust. I've bought options from him and it was all smooth, despite the rather arcane purchasing process.

The pricing is in USD, so when you see a put at 3.5 that means it's a put at $3.50, which is understandably very cheap. I'm not sure what a put in BTC would mean...

However, to avoid dealing in USD at all, he quotes prices in USD and then settles transactions in BTC at the current (24h-averaged) market rate.

Now if only we had a good place to sell options, too Smiley doing it over the counter with people is fine, but it's kind of annoying, especially when most people in the community have no clue what an option is, let alone an idea of when it makes sense to buy/sell one Sad
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 06:16:17 PM

I want to give them a try eventually.  A good options market will do wonders of keeping volatility down.  Imagine if more people protected their long positions with buying a put.  Then if the price declined too much at least they would not panic.

That site doesn't seem too well designed... encoding information in transaction amounts seems pretty kludgy to me Tongue

(BFL)^2 < 0
im3w1l

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 11:39:12 PM

(x) I do not understand options, and use them in my trading strategy  Cheesy
copumpkin
Donator

Activity: 266
Merit: 252

I'm actually a pineapple

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 11:53:16 PM

(x) I do not understand options, and use them in my trading strategy  Cheesy

Well in that case, I think you should sell me 50k puts at a strike of $50 for 1 btc total. I don't really care when they expire as long as it's sometime in the future that allows me to exercise the options before they expire Smiley
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 12:19:39 AM

Points to sig, smiles sweetly.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
phorensic

Activity: 630

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 12:46:34 AM

Nice avatar
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: