Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:12:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GHash is at 48% WTF  (Read 6985 times)
Mikerogers (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 04:13:59 AM

This is fucking serious people get off GHash the consequences for 51% are huge. It could be detrimental for bitcoin going forward. Once people realize that the Achilles heel in bitcoin is real, they'll permanently mark it with a negative stigma.
noSlave

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 04:45:27 AM

48%....shit. It's going to be real.

Do you have a screenshoot for me? I'd like to share it with twitter.
busterroni

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 04:46:03 AM

39% now. https://blockchain.info/pools
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 04:46:12 AM

https://blockchain.info/pools?timespan=24hrs

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 04:46:37 AM

You have the wrong time frame.

Mikerogers (OP)

Activity: 51

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 04:59:14 AM

You're looking at 4 days I believe, look at 24hrs.
busterroni

Activity: 277

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 04:59:53 AM

You're looking at 4 days I believe, look at 24hrs.
Oh, thanks.
jerem2398

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 05:02:32 AM

Well if no one will step up and do something we could be in for a rude awakening. Where are the bitcoin pirates with their DDOS botnets to take this pool down a notch  Tongue ....
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 05:05:30 AM

Well if no one will step up and do something we could be in for a rude awakening. Where are the bitcoin pirates with their DDOS botnets to take this pool down a notch  Tongue ....

DDOS attackers are pure scum. Such an attack would cost other bit coin miners lost revenue. Are you going to pay them back? 

jerem2398

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 05:08:55 AM

Well if no one will step up and do something we could be in for a rude awakening. Where are the bitcoin pirates with their DDOS botnets to take this pool down a notch  Tongue ....

DDOS attackers are pure scum. Such an attack would cost other bit coin miners lost revenue. Are you going to pay them back?  

I see few options if we actually reach 50%+ .... Bitcoins will be worthless if double spending occurs. Network compromised ruins this system.
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2014, 05:09:34 AM

I'm not worried, but that's probably just because I'm smarter than you.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 05:12:43 AM

Well if no one will step up and do something we could be in for a rude awakening. Where are the bitcoin pirates with their DDOS botnets to take this pool down a notch  Tongue ....

I see few options if we actually reach 50%+ .... Bitcoins will be worthless if double spending occurs. Network compromised ruins this system.

They would destroy their own company and wealth to do it. Why in the world would they toss away tons of revenue to double spend a few coins?

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 05:13:54 AM

although 51%+ is a pivitol point. remember its not the fact that they have 51%, its the fact of if they will do anything nasty once they have 51%+

although id like to think they wouldnt shoot themselves in the foot by doing anything... thus nothing will change, there is that chance that the owner of Ghash is a complete knob and would do something.. so dont think of the 51%, think about if GHash CEO is a knob or not. and lets hope he is not.

with that said lets get all your miners on different pools to disburse the hash-power so we never have to find out if Ghash CEO will be a knob or not

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2014, 05:15:34 AM

So much paranoia on these forums, and so much forgetting about rational self-interest. What do you think happens to the fool who destroys the wealth of tens of thousands of hackers?

Nothing good.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
jerem2398

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 05:16:51 AM

They would destroy their own company and wealth to do it. Why in the world would they toss away tons of revenue to double spend a few coins?

This is a valid point, but some people destroy simply because they can. Do we have any idea who the actual owners are? From what I have heard no one knows who is pulling the strings, and that is a dangerous game when we give a loaded gun to someone who is anonymous.
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 05:22:19 AM

So much paranoia on these forums, and so much forgetting about rational self-interest. What do you think happens to the fool who destroys the wealth of tens of thousands of hackers?

Nothing good.

Exactly. I would like to see them lower it some to keep everyone from freaking out, but I am not at all worried about ghash doing something to destroy bit coin.   

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 05:27:53 AM

Deepbit had controlling share in the network a couple of times and we survived. They won't do anything because it's in their best interest to play nice. Think about it a minute. They're holding a mass of btc profit from running a successful pool. They could continue making more money but instead they decide to make their holdings worthless by fucking with the network. Yeah, that makes sense. Calm down people, the sky isn't falling.

DolanDuck

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 05:37:22 AM

After thinking about it with calm, I agree that the panic isn't justified, but at the same time I don't feel secure at all.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 05:48:28 AM

Deepbit had controlling share in the network a couple of times and we survived. They won't do anything because it's in their best interest to play nice. Think about it a minute. They're holding a mass of btc profit from running a successful pool. They could continue making more money but instead they decide to make their holdings worthless by fucking with the network. Yeah, that makes sense. Calm down people, the sky isn't falling.

Their "mass of BTC profit" isn't from their pool.  Their pool costs them money, it makes them nothing.  It has, from day 1, made absolutely no economic sense for their pool to exist at all.  Their private farm is as large or larger than any other pool as is, so the argument of letting others join them to reduce their variance is moot.  They're too large for variance to make an impact on their monthly revenues.  They're paying to run servers for people for nothing, unless they're skimming from the top.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
kingscrown

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2014, 05:51:30 AM

you never know if they dont have the few % missing to 51% in this 'unknown' - many peopel state that they do.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: