Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:08:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Network hash just spiked about 50%  (Read 2256 times)
cpt_howdy (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 07:52:21 PM

Wow. Just after we come to the end of another 2016 block period, the hash rate ramps up massively to ~15Thash/s.

This says to me that (a) Miners were deliberately keeping their rigs in 2nd-gear until the difficulty rolled over (stayed constant at ~1380000) (b) They did this to maximise their profits (in BTC at least) during the next 2 weeks.

Why would they do this? Well, probably because they're predicting a big price crash, and are going to power down those rigs at the end of this 2 week period. And why not? If the hash rate stays like this for 2 weeks, come the end of this 2016 blocks, the price/difficulty ratio is going to be so low it will be unprofitable to mine for all but the most efficient. Wheat from the chaff...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 08:04:27 PM

No, the global hashrate is extrapolated from the rate that blocks are found. A lucky streak will make it look like the hashrate is higher than it actually is.

Beyond that, the sample period is too small immediately following a difficulty change so the numbers are always way off for a few days.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 08:16:47 PM

No, the global hashrate is extrapolated from the rate that blocks are found. A lucky streak will make it look like the hashrate is higher than it actually is.

Beyond that, the sample period is too small immediately following a difficulty change so the numbers are always way off for a few days.

Looks to me that the "luck" we're seeing is more than simple variance.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 08:19:00 PM

If miners really quit mining after price drops (which I still don't think is nearly as strong a correlation as many've said), then I'd assume GPUMax's extremely generous PPS rate has attracted the additional miners.
DeepBit
Donator

Activity: 532
Merit: 501

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2012, 08:39:10 PM

Deepbit's luck for last 24h is 20% better than expected, so I can believe that this spike is caused by luck.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
Coming soon: ICBIT Trading platform
cpt_howdy (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 09:03:14 PM

I agree with you first point - it is true that it's block discovery rate, not hashrate, that is directly measured, and that it's possible we're just seeing a lucky period. However, your second point doesn't make any sense: what do you mean by the sample period? The block discovery rate is calculated by adding up N blocks over the past T minutes/hours, and then calculating N/T. The calculation of block discovery rate should be completely independent of both the difficulty, and where we are within a given 2016 block period. So, why should we inevitably see more variation in hash rate at the beginning of a 2016 block period? What you're suggesting is that T (the 'period' you mentioned) automatically resets to zero at the end of a 2016 block period. Well, I was taking the rate value from bitcoincharts.com, so if that's the way they do it, then yes I would expect a large over or under-estimate *just after* a change of difficulty. For a few days though? That makes no sense at all - think about it.
RandyFolds

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 09:28:25 PM

I agree with you first point - it is true that it's block discovery rate, not hashrate, that is directly measured, and that it's possible we're just seeing a lucky period. However, your second point doesn't make any sense: what do you mean by the sample period? The block discovery rate is calculated by adding up N blocks over the past T minutes/hours, and then calculating N/T. The calculation of block discovery rate should be completely independent of both the difficulty, and where we are within a given 2016 block period. So, why should we inevitably see more variation in hash rate at the beginning of a 2016 block period? What you're suggesting is that T (the 'period' you mentioned) automatically resets to zero at the end of a 2016 block period. Well, I was taking the rate value from bitcoincharts.com, so if that's the way they do it, then yes I would expect a large over or under-estimate *just after* a change of difficulty. For a few days though? That makes no sense at all - think about it.

That is the way they do it, and a few days is a small sample period compared to two weeks. Probability, homie...shit's all over the place.

Try out the search function. This has been beaten to death since this forum's inception.
cpt_howdy (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 09:54:43 PM

Right, well I think we're talking at cross-purposes here. I was seeing a big change in the block discovery rate, and attributing it to a real change in network hash; the truth is that the block discovery rate is dictated by the combination of total *real* network hash, and luck, which randomly varies from block to block.
Forget that issue, In the last post I was just trying to point out that this estimation process does not change when the difficulty changes - check out the graph below.

See the changes in difficulty? No indication that they provoke wild changes in the the estimated hash rate.
The-Real-Link

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 11:09:34 PM

That's quite a spike.  I'm going to simply guess a lot of people powered on rigs since the difficulty did not spike so they know they can have two more weeks of "consistent" block generation / earnings.

Oh Loaded, who art up in Mt. Gox, hallowed be thy name!  Thy dollars rain, thy will be done, on BTCUSD.  Give us this day our daily 10% 30%, and forgive the bears, as we have bought their bitcoins.  And lead us into quadruple digits
RandyFolds

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 02:03:32 AM

That's quite a spike.  I'm going to simply guess a lot of people powered on rigs since the difficulty did not spike so they know they can have two more weeks of "consistent" block generation / earnings.

I am failing to see a statistically significant jump in that graph...certainly not 50%.

Why would they have powered off and then powered on with very little change in the situation, save for a drop in the price of BTC, and thus a drop in their profitability?
The-Real-Link

Activity: 533

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 07:25:32 AM

I am failing to see a statistically significant jump in that graph...certainly not 50%.

Why would they have powered off and then powered on with very little change in the situation, save for a drop in the price of BTC, and thus a drop in their profitability?

Perhaps they thought the difficulty would spike upwards and decrease their profits even further?  Who knows?  While there can be good estimation on all of this, it's seemingly as much speculation as it is fact sometimes.

Oh Loaded, who art up in Mt. Gox, hallowed be thy name!  Thy dollars rain, thy will be done, on BTCUSD.  Give us this day our daily 10% 30%, and forgive the bears, as we have bought their bitcoins.  And lead us into quadruple digits
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2012, 12:10:26 AM

These threads appeared every difficulty change for a while but we went a bit without them. 

The rate did not rise dramatically. It is just the formula used to display the hash rate. 

BinaryMage

Activity: 560

Ad astra.

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 05:22:34 PM

And voila, back to normal. Worry less, think more.  Wink

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
joulesbeef

Activity: 476

moOo

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 06:13:36 PM

And voila, back to normal. Worry less, think more.  Wink

That's what THEY would like you to think.

mooo for rent
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 06:35:39 PM

These threads appeared every difficulty change for a while but we went a bit without them. 

The rate did not rise dramatically. It is just the formula used to display the hash rate. 

Yeah they make a good difficulty change alarm.  I knew what the thread, proposed scenario, and real outcome was before clicking.  Good news is I learned we just had a difficulty adjustment and it was flat so wasn't a wasted thread.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 06:37:40 PM
Last edit: February 20, 2012, 11:03:43 PM by DeathAndTaxes

See the changes in difficulty? No indication that they provoke wild changes in the the estimated hash rate.

See a 15TH data point there?

My guess is you got your "15TH/s" from somewhere else.  Somewhere that to avoid complex calculations simply compared # of blocks and timespan since last difficulty reset.  Why since last difficulty reset?  It avoids having to do more complex calculations involving multiple difficulties.  Those sites tend to be insanely in accurate in the first 30 or so blocks after difficulty change.

Care to point out where you saw "15TH/s"?
RandyFolds

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 11:01:40 PM

See a 15TH data point there?

My guess is you got your "15TH/s" from somewhere else.  Somewhere that to avoid complex calculations simply looks at blocks and time since last difficulty reset (it avoids needing to adjust for multiple difficulty values).  Those sites tend to be insanely in accurate in the first 30 or so blocks after difficulty change.

Care to point out where you say 15TH/s?

Doesn't it feel good to be right? I rarely have the luxury, but when I do...oh boy...
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 06:31:19 PM

Deepbit's luck for last 24h is 20% better than expected, so I can believe that this spike is caused by luck.

BTC Guild also had extremely good luck on the 18th (and some of the 19th).  Of course then we had a 6 hour block and 10 hour block yesterday/today.  Luck can have a dramatic influence on the rate of blocks in a short window (and 24 hours is DEFINITELY short).

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: