Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:47:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Screen turns black and computer eventually reboots when I try to mine  (Read 2766 times)
Asiketeisc (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 11:49:35 PM

Whenever I start cgminer or phoenix my monitor turns black and after about 30 seconds my computer reboots.
I am currently running windows XP on the rig in question (both debian and windows 7 would freeze and require a reboot every few minutes, so I never even tried mining on them).
I found a few threads with people who had similar problems, but nothing I tried worked.

Hardware:
CPU: AMD FX-6100 6-CORE
MB: ASUS CROSSHAIR V
PSU: ZT Series 550 Watt ATX Modular
GPU: Tried a 4870, 6950 and 7970 (separately, with the appropriate drivers)
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2012, 12:27:11 AM

Have you tried a different power supply?  The OCZ ZT doesn't have a great rep, it would still be my first suspect even if it didn't though. I assume you run other stress tests like prime95, and checked the ram with memtest?

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Asiketeisc (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 01:03:30 AM

Have you tried a different power supply?  The OCZ ZT doesn't have a great rep, it would still be my first suspect even if it didn't though. I assume you run other stress tests like prime95, and checked the ram with memtest?
I ran furmark and memtest (I also tried 3 other RAM sticks from stable machines) and they both seem fine. Haven't really stress tested the CPU though.
Unfortunately, I only have access to one other PSU, and it's old, weak and cheap. I suppose it's worth a try though.
Asiketeisc (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 02:03:17 AM

If I decide to buy a new PSU, what wattage would [random people on the internet] recommend?
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 02:07:53 AM

If I decide to buy a new PSU, what wattage would [random people on the internet] recommend?

I would get 1200-1500W 80+ Gold.  It leaves some room if you want to expand.  My 1050W 80+Gold Thermaltake is doing a great job handling my 3X6970, but I'm not sure how it would handle a 4th.

Edit:  The PSU is one part of your rig you do not want to skimp out on.  Get a killer PSU.  You'll thank yourself for it.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2012, 03:06:31 AM

I run a 5830 at full tilt on a 300w Antec power supply (same setup smoked a coolermaster 460w though). That's with about 10 watts of sempron cpu though, but shows you don't need a huge power supply to mine. The 750w version of your OCZ power supply gets a good test review. Use the PCIe power supply connectors only, not adapters; your power supply only has 2xPCIe power connectors, enough for one video card.

To minimize CPU power usage on the bloated six-core, install the AMD Processor Driver for Windows XP, and set the Windows power scheme to "Portable/Laptop". When also enabled in the BIOS, this enables AMD Cool 'n Quiet, which halves the CPU clockrate and reduces voltage during low CPU load.

If any other OS quickly crashes, your computer is sick. Load BIOS defaults if you have tweaked any BIOS settings, plus run just two identical 1GB or 2GB DDR3 modules in the red slots. Remove any other cards while testing.

The 6950 in the first PCIe slot with AMD Catalyst 11.6 driver would be the safest place to start. Play some 3D games with no crashing. Then try Phoenix 1.7.5 with the following command line, suitable for background mining (use your pool's URL):
phoenix.exe -v -u http://user:password@us.ozco.in:8332/ -k phatk2 VECTORS AGGRESSION=6 FASTLOOP=True WORKSIZE=256 PLATFORM=0 DEVICE=0

Miner612

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

FPGA convert

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 06:59:46 AM

I think that PSU can't handle all that bro.  550 is pretty weak.

I buy and sell GPUs, most 5850s and 7970s. 
jimzolorenzo@gmail.com  -- Make an offer.
http://myworld.ebay.com/i_buy_5850s  -- current inventory
I have a couple bare bone mining rigs for sale as well.

--------------

I bought silver from [ccliu] 5 star transaction!
I bought silver from [TECSHARE] -- shipping still
Kettenmonster

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 02:14:00 PM

<mathMode>
   ZT Series 550 W can do this: 24A x 3.3V is roughly 80W, ati 4870 likes to have up to 200W
</mathMode>

You should look for a PSU that delivers something like 100A at 3.3V.

p.s.
Can I live with less than 100A? Yes, but just for a while!
Keywords for search: "polarised capacitor", ripple

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
(source: my internet)
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2012, 02:36:54 PM

<mathMode>
   ZT Series 550 W can do this: 24A x 3.3V is roughly 80W, ati 4870 likes to have up to 200W
</mathMode>

p.s.

The above is completely wrong information. The power for a video card is +12V, in fact there are only +12V wires in the PCI express power connectors. The 550 Watt ZT power supply can deliver nearly all its rated power as +12V (540w/45A single rail). 3.3V power is all but irrelevant on modern computers, as they generate their own low voltages (~1.1V) using multiphase switch mode power supplies off the 12v rails.
jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 08:37:43 PM

<mathMode>
</mathMode>

p.s.

The above is completely wrong information. The power for a video card is +12V, in fact there are only +12V wires in the PCI express power connectors. The 550 Watt ZT power supply can deliver nearly all its rated power as +12V (540w/45A single rail). 3.3V power is all but irrelevant on modern computers, as they generate their own low voltages (~1.1V) using multiphase switch mode power supplies off the 12v rails.

Deepceleron is correct.
The 3.3V is a secondary rail used mostly by the system RAM and various motherboard components.
Kettenmonster is either horribly misinformed or trolling.
DarkEagle

Activity: 9

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 09:35:19 PM

0) reinstall drivers - not always the latest version is good btw, check the forum for most stable version for your card
1) get the ANY overclocking off (cpu, video, RAM etc)
2) if it dont helps clean the video cooling system (radiator and cooler) from dust, etc. Get the radiator off and replace the conductive paste on it. If there are some "conductive scotch" THROW IT AWAY. Get the right paste (MX4 for example).
3) if the blue or black screen happened again just replace the power supply on more powerful model.

i'm running 1kw hiper and 3x850W TX's from corsair so I could recoomend the same models to you...

Hope it helps.
Kettenmonster

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 10:47:23 PM

Kettenmonster is either horribly misinformed or trolling.
Just trying to put mind in gear. So true, you got me ... but still put mind in gear at first place.
Whatever voltage it is, look in the spec were power should come from. Plus look at the peaks, otherwise ripples will kill you.

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
jake262144

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 11:19:30 PM
Last edit: February 20, 2012, 12:09:22 AM by jake262144

Just trying to put mind in gear.
Except you seem to have hit the reverse Cheesy
Try not to post information you're not positive on, ok? Let's not pollute the forum any more than it already is.

OP, a good 750W PSU should be considered a minimum for mining with those three cards.
The 7970 itself can chew up 250 W. The 4870 is not exactly power efficient, neither is the Bulldozer CPU.

A 1000W unit would be a prudent choice if you want some flexibility with the cards - the Kingwin Lazer Platinum 1000W is 80+ Platinum certified (you can't get a more energy efficient unit) and can be had for about $180.

I take it that's not a dedicated mining rig, is it?
If it is, you should disable four cores in the BIOS as you won't be using them anyway.

Using just one GPU (e.g. the 7970) run the OCCT tool and upload the graphs it creates, that will shed some light on the voltages and thermals.
Start with a 30-minute CPU test. If the machine doesn't crash, try the GPU test. Re-try those tests for a prolonged time (like an hour).
If the machine is still stable, try the PSU test (it runs the CPU and GPU tests combined). An inadequate PSU will surely fail here.
xbmcoin

Activity: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 11:26:31 PM

2 OS, same issue, must be hardware related. Calculate cumulative power consumption and size your PSU accordingly. Might also be heat related.
mxxx

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 02:17:36 AM

i'm running 1kw hiper and 3x850W TX's from corsair so I could recoomend the same models to you...

lol, holy sh*t.
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2012, 06:27:55 AM

lol, holy sh*t.
lol, "my purchasing choices are the best that could have been made, so you should do what I do". A.K.A. my religion, sports team, race is what I could recommend.
At least independent testing does show that the Corsair TX 850w holds it's own.

Related link (related through the diatribe on social psychology I'm not taking the time to write),
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asch_conformity_experiments
Asiketeisc (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 04:58:10 AM

Just to clarify, I never tried to run it with more that one GPU at a time.

I borrowed the following PSU from a friend:
http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&prod=29
but I still have the same problem.

Using just one GPU (e.g. the 7970) run the OCCT tool and upload the graphs it creates, that will shed some light on the voltages and thermals.
Start with a 30-minute CPU test. If the machine doesn't crash, try the GPU test. Re-try those tests for a prolonged time (like an hour).
If the machine is still stable, try the PSU test (it runs the CPU and GPU tests combined). An inadequate PSU will surely fail here.
Ran the CPU, GPU and PSU 30-min tests with the new PSU and the 7970. It generated 56 different graphs, so I can't really upload them one by one. As such:
http://www.mediafire.com/?hpsr3zq03ju0daf
Asiketeisc (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 10:53:58 AM

Anyone? Anything? Anywhencelikeforth?
jake262144

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 03:56:23 PM

I took a good look at the graphs.
Other than the wacky +3.3V rail which never actually achieved 3.3V but still was within spec, I saw nothing unusual about them.
Tests ran and finished without issues. Voltage and thermals were ok.
Kettenmonster

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 08:01:57 PM

Did I get that? The thing is running for half an hour several tests, but still fails on mining?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: