Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 11:20:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Defying Mining Probabilities with Willpower  (Read 7627 times)
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 03:56:21 PM

Who says it's a mathematical operation?  Who says it's random?  It's you, and the only reason you believe it is because everyone else does too (ad populum is a logical fallacy, though it doesn't make something less pluasible).  And by the way, random is a bullshit word, anyway -- "It was caused by randomness."  Go figure that one out.  Additionally, absolutely every single definition of anything is essentially a theory of it; we live in a world of theories whether you like it or not.  This includes operational definitions which are the basis for knowing what the hell it is you want to measure in the first place.  When you say you want "results," you are asking for the results of what happens when one piece of reality (us) tries to measure some other piece of reality, without taking into account the entire system in which we both inhabit.  But, without understanding the 'theory of theories,' (aka Universe) you are simply asking for results to pile atop a nonexistent foundation.

Fortunately, the things that help us learn about the 'theory of theories' are self-evident.  The 'results' you are looking for are an indirect route to knowledge whereas direct experience is, well, a direct route to knowledge. "What one can prove, he does not know.  What one knows, he cannot prove." ~ Me

On a side note, I wasn't trying to form a rebuttal.  I was following up on the 'double slit experiment' because it was mentioned by someone else.
What part of a miner's work is "random"? All the possible nonces in a work are tested (2^32). The work is simply a merkle root, which is generated from hashes of pending transactions. Do the transactions appear randomly out of thin air? No, they come from people who send transactions. There's nothing random about any of that, everything is deterministic.

And before you argue some random point about chaos theory or double slit experiment, this thread is about affecting the result of mining in a controlled way. It doesn't matter if your breath can affect the merkle root that you get, it only matters if it can make the merkle root have a higher probability of containing a valid nonce.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
rini17

Activity: 340
Merit: 250

GO http://bitcointa.lk !!! My new nick: jurov

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2012, 04:33:47 PM

Interesting discussion, I was too thinking about. It may be better trying with litecoins, they can be mined solo. But my first LTC block, with suspiciously low difficulty was found in pool, anyway.

And AFAIK to do it you need support from your subconscious, that is incredibly hard. You have to be totally convinced that it is natural for the block to be solved this way for you. So that you don't even thave to think much about it.

CoinBr.com: First online MPEx brokerage launched beta! Easy to use interface and reasonable fees. Charts for MPEx stocks: live.coinbr.com * My Blog *
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 05:10:47 PM

And AFAIK to do it you need support from your subconscious, that is incredibly hard. You have to be totally convinced that it is natural for the block to be solved this way for you. So that you don't even thave to think much about it.

Right, it's more about believing that is how it's supposed to happen so you stay out of the way.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 11:17:10 PM

And before you argue some random point about chaos theory or double slit experiment, this thread is about affecting the result of mining in a controlled way. It doesn't matter if your breath can affect the merkle root that you get, it only matters if it can make the merkle root have a higher probability of containing a valid nonce.

I created the thread, I'll post in it what I please.

And yeah, I'll admit I only read the white paper once and I have limited-to-nil experience in computer programming.  But, I don't think I need to be a computer programmer when I'm talking about some Universal syntax that distributes to all conditional events contained therein.  That's what Universal laws do -- they distribute.  Truth is only established through ratio (the root word of rationale), and so if I can understand how the law operates in one set of conditional events, I can begin to imagine how it would operate in others.

While the thread of the title is meant to be specific to mining, it's really a thread about the relationship between mental and physical reality.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 11:26:45 PM

Even if the underlying concept has some merit, I don't think any of the major miners actually use a random process - They all just increment the nonce in a very deterministic manner.  And even if they did, computers don't do very well at truly "random" numbers without an external source of them.

Why would nonces need to be random?

SHA-256 hash is for all effective intents and purposes random relative to the input.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: