Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:28:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Class action lawsuit against Google over adwords phishing site scam  (Read 2541 times)
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 04:24:14 AM

All with apparent sharecoin donation addys in their sigs, and mostly gang-posting to the same threads.

If I didn't know any better, I'd suspect ... (dut Dut DAAAH) ... sock puppets!

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 04:27:42 AM

All with apparent sharecoin donation addys in their sigs, and mostly gang-posting to the same threads.

If I didn't know any better, I'd suspect ... (dut Dut DAAAH) ... sock puppets!

all one guy i think, as the names never post at near the exact same time or all show as online at same time. very odd!

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
LouReed

Activity: 732
Merit: 500

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 08:27:38 PM

in short
1. if you can prove WHEN the phishing site became actively advertised on google
2. if you can prove WHEN google received a phishing report
3. if you can prove WHEN an IP not belonging to you accessed blockchain.info (reasonable time AFTER 1&2)
4. if you can prove Google ignored the phish report (no removal after reasonable processing time)
5. if you can prove Google made revenue from the phishing advert (profited from illegal activity)
then you have a slim chance against their well versed lawyers
Agreed.

But my question is; did the ad install a keylogger, or did you put your info in?

If you put your own info in, then you're the one at fault.

googles defense is that they cannot be held liable for content of other peoples website
googles defense is that they cannot be held liable for actions of users or the neglect of users.

this means if someone did not see the address bar was not truly spelled correctly. then that is the fault of the user
this means if someone went to a website and done something. whether its hand over funds, hand over log in details, or download a program/virus, its a users fault.

the only defense (weak defense without good lawyer) is that google knew of the thread, had time to deal with the threat, but don nothing to help avoid "the user from making a mistake" - yes thats right its still a user mistake, but google didnt lessen the risk of users being dumb

Unfortunately, I was one of the "stupid people" who got dooped by this. Here is the thread I created at the time for reference:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=531047.0

Agreed, I should've had better security in place, no doubt! Needless to say, I have since changed my practices!  Grin Just out of habit, I Google searched for Blockchain, and not paying any attention at all, proceeded to click the link and enter my credentials. I was in a hurry at the time, and had half a buzz on. When I clicked into send coins, and then clicked into shared coin, I went to paste in the address I was sending to and that's when I noticed most of my coins were gone! I didn't figure out what happened until the next day, and actually figured it out immediately after clicking on the Google searched link. In the address bar there was just an ip instead of what should be there, and I knew right then that I fucked up!

I did email Google and tell them that they owed me $1200 (wishful thinking, LOL! Roll Eyes) and this is what I got back from them for a response:

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Google aggregates and organizes information published on the web; we don't control the content of these webpages. If you're concerned about the content on a particular page in our search results, we suggest that you directly address the webmaster of the page in question. To learn how to contact the webmaster of a site, please visit https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/9109. For more information about our Terms of Service, please visit http://www.google.com/terms_of_service.html

Regards,
The Google Team

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: