Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:25:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [UPDATED] BitCon! NOW BEING ORGANIZED!  (Read 6096 times)
Ian Maxwell

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2011, 05:10:30 AM

What kiba said. And don't underestimate the power of face-to-face meeting to build a sense of shared community.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jmonteiro

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2011, 05:21:26 AM

What kiba said. And don't underestimate the power of face-to-face meeting to build a sense of shared community.

Agreed with SunAvatar and kiba. But I prefer smaller meetings then a bit conference. Small meetups are always good -- better then one big, expensive, complex and centralized conference.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 05:39:08 AM

Agreed with SunAvatar and kiba. But I prefer smaller meetings then a bit conference. Small meetups are always good -- better then one big, expensive, complex and centralized conference.

It is an interesting point. Small localised meet-ups but with some connectedness is harder to suppress if it comes to that. Brings to mind the operation of "terrorist cells" chillingly.

em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2011, 05:49:16 AM

I agree.  Bitcoin is a distributed peer-to-peer currency.  It should be spread that way.  Meetups should be held that way too.  Also having a big centralized conference would attract all sorts of negative attention from the authorities, since it would have "giant money laundering operation" written all over it (as far as the state is concerned).

Anyway, at this point it is better to share bitcoin with other groups that have goals that may be advanced with bitcoin.  For example, your local libertarian meetup or local trade network for whatever it is you do.

But it would be cool if PorcFest 2011 has some talk on bitcoin...

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 02:03:19 PM

So who is interested in a global Bitcoin Conference (BitCon)? I noticed a few local meetups, but I think sooner or later, a global meetup will occur. When should it be? Where should it be?

I think it should be in middle America or the West coast so Plato doesn't have to drive all the way back to NYC to attend.

i think we should try to avoid the use of the word BitCon.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 02:31:13 PM

-1 for Iceland.
It seems a central location at first for US/EU users, but it is an expensive flight from the US (and from Uk/Europe I think). Not that I'm against Volcanoes or Björk. But flight costs should be a major consideration along with housing.

Vegas is cheep for most Americans but not for anyone else, as I understand it.
London and Paris are cheep from NYC.  What about Cancun Mexico? Or Belize?
What cities are cheep for you to reach if you are outside USA?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 03:57:19 PM

Vegas is cheep for most Americans but not for anyone else, as I understand it.
London and Paris are cheep from NYC.  What about Cancun Mexico? Or Belize?
What cities are cheep for you to reach if you are outside USA?

London might be very cheap to get to, but is a very expensive city. I would say - Barcelona, Spain. It is very cheap to get to with Ryanair or Easyjet for anyone from EU. Just don't know if it's convenient for guys from US
abstraction

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 09:39:15 PM

So who is interested in a global Bitcoin Conference (BitCon)? I noticed a few local meetups, but I think sooner or later, a global meetup will occur. When should it be? Where should it be?

I think it should be in middle America or the West coast so Plato doesn't have to drive all the way back to NYC to attend.

i think we should try to avoid the use of the word BitCon.

I agree.

What: BitCan or BitPro (name to be determined)
Who: Anybody, global or local
Where: San Luis Obispo, CA (SLO)
When: Whenever Plato comes through California
Why:
  • Plato wants to travel along the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH)
  • The PCH comes through SLO
  • There are beaches only 10-15 minutes away
  • The SLO area is wine country with several microclimates in the area
  • There are plenty of mountains to hike
  • There are bike trails to ride
  • There are disc golf courses in some of the parks
  • There is plenty of lodging due to the fact that SLO is a college town and parents swarm on certain weekends, so it can handle conventions, if you plan it right
  • It has several microbreweries in the area, a homebrew culture in town (DIY attitude), and Avila hosts the California Festival of Beers every year on the last weekend of May put on by the charity http://www.hospiceslo.org/
  • The people here are friendly (it's a tourist town) Oprah has my back on this one
  • The SLO Experiment
  • There is an airport if you want to fly in, or, it's about a 3-4 hour drive from either San Francisco or Los Angeles if you take the 101, or, take your time traveling up or down the PCH
  • On Thursday nights from 6-9pm, the main street downtown closes off to traffic and the World Famous Farmer's Market happens. All sorts of organic food, BBQ, music, entertainment, free bike valet, free parking at meters around town after 6pm
  • If it happens on the first Thursday of the month, you can participate in the Bike Happening where bike enthusiasts get all dressed up and bring out their fancy rides to show off around downtown at 9:30pm after the Farmer's Market closes down. And after the Bike Happening ends, all those interested go to watch or participate in the Bike Sumo tournament where two riders square off and try to knock the other one off. Two men enter, one man leaves - Thunderdome style
  • The reason Vegas is great for conventions is because there is lots to DO when not at the convention itself. SLO has all the legal fun, so let's have a legally fun Bitcoin Block(chain) Party. The SLOcals will appreciate the tourism boom (so long as it's a positive experience)
  • I don't see anyone else in this thread putting up a better itemized solution yet so  Tongue

How: Get the word out about the Bitcoin Block(chain) Party happening in SLO! The SLOcals will see a bunch of bright, enthusiastic people coming into town with new ideas about how to tackle economic problems and create jobs. They're already used to it with the students that go to Cal Poly. Who doesn't want to come to this party?!
xavier

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 10:15:00 PM

BitCon - Lol

I think something should be organised for London / Europe.. Smiley
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 10:33:14 PM

Vote London too. It's the hub of the world. If anything is organised there, then I might be able to setup free hosting for a bunch of people by asking around.
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2011, 12:55:25 AM

Vote London too. It's the hub of the world. If anything is organised there, then I might be able to setup free hosting for a bunch of people by asking around.

great, so all the bitcoin activists travel to The Capital Police Statism (London) for BitCon, then they all get arrested for anti-government conspiracy, and then bitcoin gets setback.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Stefan Thomas

Activity: 234

AKA: Justmoon

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2011, 01:59:51 AM

Just a thought: Attach the event to DEF CON 17 or some other large event that at least some Bitcoiners will already be interested in. It's a simple way to get some extra attendants, plus Bitcoiners can go to the other event and proselytize. Wink

I might even be possible to do a presentation at the other conference for even more exposure.

As for the location:

If it's in Europe, it should be in London.

If it's in the US, it should be anywhere with an international airport. I'd make the trip provided some of the bigger names attend and they bring the finished Bitcoin ATM prototype. Oh, and some Alpaca socks!! Cheesy

Twitter: @justmoon
PGP: D16E 7B04 42B9 F02E 0660  C094 C947 3700 A4B0 8BF3
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 11:25:42 AM

Can you please explain why?

I am french, I'm the #3 most prolific writer on this forum and as such I am offended by this proposition.

PLATO

Activity: 493

Don't trust "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange"

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 02:51:16 PM

What: BitCan or BitPro (name to be determined)
Who: Anybody, global or local
Where: San Luis Obispo, CA (SLO)
When: Whenever Plato comes through California
Why:
  • Plato wants to travel along the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH)
  • etc

All posts by me after 2012 were a compromised account. Probably by "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange". SORRY Y'ALL
Stefan Thomas

Activity: 234

AKA: Justmoon

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2011, 03:44:44 PM

I am french, I'm the #3 most prolific writer on this forum and as such I am offended by this proposition.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anybody. London is convenient for conventions because it's the most densely populated area in Europe (so there are usually lots of potential attendees close by), it has direct connections from/to every European airport and it's been my experience with past conventions that you get the best attendance there because of those factors.

Note that I'm in Switzerland, so London would be further for me than it is for you, but it's still pretty convenient to shuttle out of Zurich Kloten.

But that's just my experience, if it's in Europe and it has an interesting enough roster of speakers to warrant traveling, I'll attend wherever it is. Ultimately it's going to depend on where we can find somebody who has the actual time, money and energy to organize a convention.

Twitter: @justmoon
PGP: D16E 7B04 42B9 F02E 0660  C094 C947 3700 A4B0 8BF3
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 05:11:36 PM

Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 06:11:41 PM

My guess is that London is the most optimal place in the world in terms of average air/train fare paid by conference visitor.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
abstraction

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 09:42:28 PM

My guess is that London is the most optimal place in the world in terms of average air/train fare paid by conference visitor.

Why not simultaneous conventions on different continents? With video feed to see everybody else.
LightRider (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 07:02:16 AM

IT LIVES! HAHAHA!

http://bitcoinme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Astro

Activity: 284

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 07:25:50 AM

I vote for Iceland!

This is actually a good idea.  Iceland is a very short flight from North America and a really cool place to visit.  Plus, they're probably in the mood to talk about alternatives to traditional banking. Wink
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: