Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:15:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The "Rich" and "Poor" in a nutshell.  (Read 2634 times)
Jon (OP)
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 09:21:13 PM

Rich:

Casual attire (they don't care what you think):

Warren Buffet's car (they spend their money wisely):

Poor:

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CA Coins
Donator

Activity: 305
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 09:27:58 PM

A lease-property I help manage is gov't-sponsored.  The tenant pays like $400 a month for a house, and inside it is all decked-out with big flat-screen TVs, etc.  Gotta love the government.  I guess the moral of the story for The "Rich" and "Poor" is don't be stuck in the middle?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2012, 12:15:48 AM

I know a guy in Evansville, Indiana, that rents a Section 8 apartment, yet has trouble paying his rent. Perhaps if the government were to decrease his share, he'll be able to have less worries each and every month. His out of pocket rent amount, you ask? $65 USD. (white guy, late 50's)
stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 01:01:54 AM

The Heritage Foundation did a study about this.  Since they are politically motivated, don't just take their word for it:

For decades, the U.S. Census Bureau has reported that over 30 million Americans were living in “poverty,” but the bureau’s definition of poverty differs widely from that held by most Americans. In fact, other government surveys show that most of the persons whom the government defines as “in poverty” are not poor in any ordinary sense of the term. The overwhelming majority of the poor have air conditioning, cable TV, and a host of other modern amenities. They are well housed, have an adequate and reasonably steady supply of food, and have met their other basic needs, including medical care. Some poor Americans do experience significant hardships, including temporary food shortages or inadequate housing, but these individuals are a minority within the overall poverty population.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
CA Coins
Donator

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 07:48:50 AM

Not to take away from people who are really in need, but in socal, even for 50K a year in salary, you wouldn't even think about buying a house.  After tax, you'd be happy to cover all your basics without accruing debt.  Ahhhh.....$65USD/mo for rent?!!!
drakahn

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 01:48:40 PM

i have a wide screen TV, and am poor, i paid roughly an 8th of its value because its second(third) hand and has issues, plus lacking a remote

why does a TV mean not poor?

i have a TV, a computer and a phone, and if i were to sell all of them i still couldn't afford to eat properly, whats your point?

(of course, if i had $65 a month rent, i would not complain, my rent is over 10 times that)

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1071

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 03:32:20 PM

you are such a cunt atlas, that it's unbelievable.

no actually, you are a kid. grow the fuck up.

your post was incredibly insulting and rude.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2012, 04:31:15 PM

i have a wide screen TV, and am poor, i paid roughly an 8th of its value because its second(third) hand and has issues, plus lacking a remote

i have a TV, a computer and a phone, and if i were to sell all of them i still couldn't afford to eat properly, whats your point?

(of course, if i had $65 a month rent, i would not complain, my rent is over 10 times that)

I wish I could prove to you that I truly know this guy, but won't--for the time being. I forgot to mention that all his utilities are also paid for by the government. The apartment complex he lives in is well kept even with the high percentage of A-M living there. He has a slight bipolar disorder and diabetes, but is able to work, of which he does, even augmenting his income by salvaging scrap metal. He is on the food stamp program and visits all the food banks around town weekly. He keeps a very clean apartment and owns no fancy toys. Most, if not all, of the furnishings were acquired at secondhand stores. So why is he always broke? Two clues, one of which I've already gave: Evansville, Indiana, and 21. Figured it out?

~Bruno~ (not Bruno Torfs)
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 05:48:20 PM

I wish I could prove to you that I truly know this guy, but won't--for the time being. I forgot to mention that all his utilities are also paid for by the government. The apartment complex he lives in is well kept even with the high percentage of A-M living there. He has a slight bipolar disorder and diabetes, but is able to work, of which he does, even augmenting his income by salvaging scrap metal. He is on the food stamp program and visits all the food banks around town weekly. He keeps a very clean apartment and owns no fancy toys. Most, if not all, of the furnishings were acquired at secondhand stores. So why is he always broke? Two clues, one of which I've already gave: Evansville, Indiana, and 21. Figured it out?

~Bruno~ (not Bruno Torfs)

The manipulator ? Smiley

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2012, 03:44:33 AM

I wear raggedy shit, and drive a 12 year old Civic that's about to hit 222,222 miles. I must be filthy rich!  Grin
Vanderbleek

Activity: 518

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 04:08:21 AM

As to "rich people wear casual clothing" because "they don't care what you think," that, in my experience is a lie. Wearing nice clothes has nothing to do with self image, and everything to do with respect for others -- and successful people tend to have plenty of respect for their friends, clients, customers, and even the people they purchase from. No one wants to see you in sweat pants, so please respect others enough to put some effort into your wardrobe. Note that I said effort, not money -- I frequently get dress shirts/pants brand new for $10 or so, cheaper if they have my size at a thrift store. Not to mention dressing nicer helps you get paid more, get better service, etc.

Of course if you meant "casual" as it's supposed to be used -- that is collared, button down shirt w/o tie, pair of khakis (NOT cargos), loafers, belt -- then yes, I agree.

At the end of the day "not caring what others think" looks like "don't respect you enough to care" and that attitude makes it difficult to be successful.
CA Coins
Donator

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 08:22:48 AM

I applaud you for taking care of your appearance while living within your means (or at least being frugal).  It is my fear that more and more people in the US are not out fighting for their livelihood and are instead depending on the gov't for support, not to mention not living within their means and taking on too much debt. 

Some stats:
1 in 2 American don't pay any income taxes
1 in 6 depends at least partly on the gov't for support
46 million Americans on food stamps
Consumer debt outstanding: 2.5T (Fed)
National debt:  15.3T (http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html)
I have no illusions that the US is broke (we can't be saved by money printing).  Let's hope we avoid the fate of bankrupt countries like Greece.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: