Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:32:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Monday Afternoon (US Time), Where is this this big phucking 'announcement'?  (Read 4678 times)
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:35:55 PM

Jup. That's the news.

Sorry Mat for the earlier comment... Guess once in a while, a "source" can be right...

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:41:51 PM

Jup. That's the news.

Sorry Mat for the earlier comment... Guess once in a while, a "source" can be right...

lol a true rumor? I'm impressed  Grin

Raystonn

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:56:54 PM

Naw.  Expedia is going to accept Bitcoin.  I don't see why it's such a big deal though.

This is quite big news!
A big step forwards tourism with bitcoin.
I hope they expand it to their plane tickets service. That would be huge.

As I said 2 days ago, I don't know why this is that big a deal.  They already had a payment processor for them that accepted Bitcoins.  This just pulls that into their own company.  Anyway, I'm hoping this means they actually stick Bitcoins as a publicly-visible option on their main website.  Otherwise, nothing changes.
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:21:03 PM

Naw.  Expedia is going to accept Bitcoin.  I don't see why it's such a big deal though.

This is quite big news!
A big step forwards tourism with bitcoin.
I hope they expand it to their plane tickets service. That would be huge.

As I said 2 days ago, I don't know why this is that big a deal.  They already had a payment processor for them that accepted Bitcoins.  This just pulls that into their own company.  Anyway, I'm hoping this means they actually stick Bitcoins as a publicly-visible option on their main website.  Otherwise, nothing changes.

I guess it's not just bullish in and of itself that the online media headlines smear "Expedia to accept bitcoin!" broadcast to tens of millions of new people who have heard of bitcoin but have never bought any?  Or to tens of millions of new people who have never heard of bitcoin, but see these news headlines for the first time?  How do you think the bitcoin userbase grows, by magic?
Raystonn

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:32:42 PM

I hope the PR does the trick.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:35:04 PM
Last edit: June 11, 2014, 04:54:00 PM by BittBurger

Expedia is not the announcement.

There is another big one coming.

If you read what i wrote in the 3-4 messages i wrote on this, you would have seen that it was a BitPay conference call.

Expedia is with Coinbase.

Expedia is huge.  And notice - the price hasn't budged.  

--------------

I just met with Jeff in person, five minutes ago at the Clevelander Hotel to give him a batch of yBitcoin magazines to put in the lobby of the hotel.

The information was given to me in confidence, but I can confirm that its legit.

As for "how big" - i can finally give you an intelligent analogy.

Expedia announcement is huge.  And in light of that announcement, this company may make you scratch your head as to why they're better for Bitcoin.

But the key is, they're a big company.  

Expedia's value is 8.8 Billion.   This company's value is more than 11 Billion.

Its just a *completely* different demographic.   And I think they have their hands dipped into several commercial interests.

Either way - these two companies in one week will likely be Bitcoins biggest "Merchant Adoption Week".

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Raystonn

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:59:37 PM

I'm not really seeing a big impact from IKEA accepting Bitcoin at this time, beyond the immediate PR for Bitcoin of course.
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:28:24 PM
Last edit: June 11, 2014, 05:48:40 PM by Torque

... this company may make you scratch your head as to why they're better for Bitcoin.

Expedia's value is 8.8 Billion.   This company's value is more than 11 Billion.

Its just a *completely* different demographic.   And I think they have their hands dipped into several commercial interests.

-B-

I'm guessing the other announcement is Warner Brothers, or something similar.  Just a pure uninformed guess, the market cap seems about right.  

Do I get a prize if I'm right?  Cheesy
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:30:23 PM

If you read what i wrote in the 3-4 messages i wrote on this, you would have seen that it was a BitPay conference call.

--------------

I just met with Jeff in person, five minutes ago at the Clevelander Hotel to give him a batch of yBitcoin magazines to put in the lobby of the hotel.

The information was given to me in confidence, but I can confirm that its legit.

Expedia announcement is huge.  And in light of that announcement, this company may make you scratch your head as to why they're better for Bitcoin.

Either way - these two companies in one week will likely be Bitcoins biggest "Merchant Adoption Week".

-B-

I dont see why Expedia is a big deal. So this one is 1.3x the market cap.. ok. Is it Amazon? No. Target? Walmart? Ofc. not.

Why would this do anything for Bitcoin?
bitcoinsrus

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:31:47 PM

--------------

-B-

I dont see why Expedia is a big deal. So this one is 1.3x the market cap.. ok. Is it Amazon? No. Target? Walmart? Ofc. not.

derpinheimer
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:33:00 PM

That didnt answer the question. I know what Expedia is.
BittBurger

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:35:12 PM

That didnt answer the question. I know what Expedia is.

If you lack the basic understanding of "Network Effect" and why its relevant that major merchants are accepting Bitcion, then do some research and learn about it.

Don't troll around the forums saying this is no big deal, when everybody knows that it is.

Sorry for being snarky but you are saying something that makes zero sense.

-B-

Definition of 'Network Effect'

A phenomenon whereby a good or service becomes more valuable when more people use it. The internet is a good example. Initially, there were few users of the internet, and it was of relatively little value to anyone outside of the military and a few research scientists. As more users gained access to the internet, however, there were more and more websites to visit and more people to communicate with. The internet became extremely valuable to its users.

oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:36:50 PM

--------------

-B-

+1

I know overstock.com adoption was relevant. And I can see (by their turnover) that Dish Network is really big.

But Expedia is the first company that I myself knew before the anouncement and had used, and that I've seen ads for in real life.

In terms of exposure on the Internet, this one is bigger than the previous two, at least for a certain demographic. That is, if they place a visible "you can now pay with Bitcoin" sign on their checkout webpage.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:38:21 PM

As long as I don't see a direct link between this (and other adoptions) and speculative fiat on the exchanges, I don't give a damn.

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
BittBurger

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:41:49 PM

As long as I don't see a direct link between this (and other adoptions) and speculative fiat on the exchanges, I don't give a damn.

This is the process by which Bitcoin goes to $40,000.   But you don't care because all you want is to day trade for a $10 gain before Friday.

You're going to kick yourself in the ass in 5 years when you realize you could have been buying and holding for the real value increases.

Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:44:26 PM

This is the difference between the process for getting worldwide legitimacy ... versus nonsense day trading speculation short term vision.

You're going to kick yourself in the ass in 5 years when you realize you could have been buying and holding for the real value increases.

No, in five years I will definitely be OUT OF BITCOIN. I only plan to stay until the 2017 big bubble (mania phase). After that there will be only bagholders.

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:13:02 PM

No, in five years I will definitely be OUT OF BITCOIN. I only plan to stay until the 2017 big bubble (mania phase). After that there will be only bagholders.

I wish I could see the future with your clarity!
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:16:21 PM

I'm not really seeing a big impact from IKEA accepting Bitcoin at this time, beyond the immediate PR for Bitcoin of course.

Wait.. I  can go to Ikea and buy shit with BTC now..  I no believe, no announcment or I'd go buy some lights.
segeln

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 11:24:01 PM

This is the process by which Bitcoin goes to $40,000.   But you don't care because all you want is to day trade for a $10 gain before Friday.

+1
OMG,daytrading
hodl not tradl
Chalkbot
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 12:03:58 AM

Expedia is huge.  And notice - the price hasn't budged. 

--------------

Expedia announcement is huge.  And in light of that announcement, this company may make you scratch your head as to why they're better for Bitcoin.

Its just a *completely* different demographic.   And I think they have their hands dipped into several commercial interests.

-B-

Can you say if the company is in this list?

Monster Beverage Company
Harley Davidson
Under Armour
Electronic Arts
Dollar Tree
Whole Foods
IKEA

Edit: Yeah, I guess IKEA fits the profile pretty well too.

Just having fun....
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: