Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:21:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitstamp is the next MtGox...  (Read 1985 times)
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 05:47:26 PM
Last edit: May 25, 2014, 09:33:05 AM by Timo Y

AML/KYC regulations are insanely draconian.

Try to interact with any kind of business in the financial sector that is even slightly "innovative", and soon you will run into exactly the same barriers. This problem is not isolated to Bitstamp or even just Bitcoin businesses.

Last year I tried to invest a paltry 300 GBP into a biotech startup via a crowdfunding initiative. My investment was blocked by the crowdfunding company because of "not passing AML/KYC checks"  Not delayed or hindered by identity checks, but outright prohibited.  The reason given was that I am suspicious because am a resident of The Netherlands and have the audacity to invest in the UK!   These are two highly developed EU countries; surely the ability to invest across them is something you would take for granted?  A that point, I felt more like I was living in Venezuela than the EU.

Similar experience with Transferwise. Tried to send a relatively small amount from UK to Eurozone. Again, my transaction was frozen with no advance warning and they refused  to release my money it unless I send them sensitive info like passport scans etc. Again they cited AML/KYC compliance.  Funnily enough, when transferring a much larger amount directly from UK bank to Eurozone bank (and paying a ripoff exchange rate) no questions were asked.  

Based on these experiences and others, I am actually surprised that Bitstamp isn't being more restrictive with its customers than they are being right now.

As for btc-e, I find it incredible that they have managed to get away without doing AML/KYC checks in this kind of regulatory climate.   The only way that I can explain it is that there is something shady going on there.  

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 06:14:04 PM
Last edit: May 25, 2014, 11:19:03 AM by malevolent

As for btc-e, I find it incredible that they have managed to get away without doing AML/KYC checks in this kind of regulatory climate.   They only way that I can explain it is that there is something shady going on there.  

They won't bother you with AML/KYC if you use one of the payment systems (middlemen), afaik they'll only ask for it if you want to make direct wire transfers.

Signature space available for rent.
m3 (OP)

Activity: 460
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2014, 10:35:56 AM

Some of you are right by saying that when Bitcoin will approach it's true potential and will break record highs at above $1000 you should just move your bitcoin's off of any exchange and store them in cold storage or on your own wallet. However, until that day comes we can be sure that BTC-e will not pull anything since they have been around for quite some time and have seen high btc prices.

21pilot

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 02:31:25 PM

As for btc-e, I find it incredible that they have managed to get away without doing AML/KYC checks in this kind of regulatory climate.   They only way that I can explain it is that there is something shady going on there.  

They won't bother you with AML/KYC if you use one of the payment systems (middlemen), afaik they'll only ask for it if you want to make direct wire transfers.

but you have to do AML/KYC procedures at the payment systems (OKPay, Perfectmoney)...

in the online gambling world several gaming providers do it very similar to BTC-E and don´t ask you for documents if you
deposit using one of these payment services (they rely on OkPay, Perfectmoney, Skrill, Neteller to comply
with money laundering guidelines).

Therefore I don´t think the BTC-E way of doing things is as weird as some of you seem to think.
Cyberdyne

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 02:03:51 AM

Why the fuck are you using images to post?

It might be a bug.
(i.e. a tracking device.)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: