Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 12:26:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin city?  (Read 2491 times)
Dorrace (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 08:21:05 AM

I haven't posted on here for a while , but I'm wondering how many of you bitcoin users are in technical trades in the construction industry?

I'm studying to be a licensed builder in New South Wales , Australia .
I've been thinking of , a experimental bitcoin city if you will call it that. I'm sure there are places and people who have already tried this but every state should have a city built on bitcoin , reason being is that it's very difficult changing existing protocols and habits in a developed city.

If we started from the ground up with bitcoin as the underlying currency and foundation of the startup city I think this will make it much easier to transition into the larger populace.

To start with a large fund will have to be started and I'm talking in the millions, there would need to be a self sufficiency to the city , a green city.
- green energy (wind farms perhaps) and the possibility of selling that energy to the grid
- agriculture , cattle , etc
- people with trade backgrounds willing to accept bitcoin as a form of payment
- to simplify trade , I would suggest paper wallets of pre set denominations for regular purchases, even pre paid accounts with businesses

I'm going to continue listing things I'm busy at the moment but please add your own ideas and such
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 09:43:51 AM

I haven't posted on here for a while , but I'm wondering how many of you bitcoin users are in technical trades in the construction industry?

I've been thinking of , a experimental bitcoin city if you will call it that. I'm sure there are places and people who have already tried this but every state should have a city built on bitcoin , reason being is that it's very difficult changing existing protocols and habits in a developed city.

If we started from the ground up with bitcoin as the underlying currency and foundation of the startup city I think this will make it much easier to transition into the larger populace.

To start with a large fund will have to be started and I'm talking in the millions, there would need to be a self sufficiency to the city , a green city.
- green energy (wind farms perhaps) and the possibility of selling that energy to the grid
- to simplify trade , I would suggest paper wallets of pre set denominations for regular purchases, even pre paid accounts with businesses

I'm going to continue listing things I'm busy at the moment but please add your own ideas and such
So, I give a merchant a paper wallet and when I leave the shop I just, send my BTC from the paper wallet to another adress, since I can just save the address of the paper wallet on my phone.
Yeah, Sounds great ...

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
Ilsk
Legendary

Activity: 833
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 10:38:04 AM

And how do people pay taxes? In BTC (I don't think it's possible) or in AUD (so they need to sell btc for aud)?
erono

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 10:40:15 AM

Meeting in bank or hotel lobbies is advisable with Australia local bitcoins.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 11:12:08 AM

And how do people pay taxes?
Welcome to the new world. Taxes, nation-states, and the systematic dominance and violence they necessitate are all being made obsolete before your very eyes. Even war will go the way of the dodo, in time.

The future is reason, truth, and mathematics. Violence, coercion, and deception - the hallmarks of nation-state existence - are the past.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
bitsmichel

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 11:32:00 AM

The future is reason, truth, and mathematics. Violence, coercion, and deception - the hallmarks of nation-state existence - are the past.

Very nice quote, hopefully it will turn out that way.

turvarya

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 11:58:02 AM

Very nice quote, hopefully it will turn out that way.
That's one of the most stupid quotes, I have ever read.
Nation-states are here for about 100-200 years. Before that, there also was violence, coercion and deception.
Some People are completly delusional ...

Dorrace (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 12:52:21 PM

So, I give a merchant a paper wallet and when I leave the shop I just, send my BTC from the paper wallet to another adress, since I can just save the address of the paper wallet on my phone.
Yeah, Sounds great ...

no i wasnt clear on that bit, i meant more or less having a bank that oversees the process , imagine going to  a "bank" and essentially depositing bitcoin in return for "notes" that are sealed in pre determined denominations that you can trade with. until someone comes out with an instant transaction process for bitcoin i believe that is essentially the quickest method of transacting in store. imean sure theres otherways but this is the whole point, its an experiment to test theories and method out before they are rolled out because the pioneers are the ones who take the risk but often are rewarded the most. if you did this stuff in the cities and itbackfires or fucks up i gaurantee it will be a huge blow to the bitcoin price. you want to show a city that runs on bitcoin and only bitcoin.

as for taxes, as far as im aware , you can only betaxed on the dollar. and capital gains but it all depends on how you interpret bitcoin
Dorrace (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 12:54:13 PM

i remember reading somewhere there was a prototype usb wallet that when you press a button on it , it showsyou your wallet balance and allyou have to do is plug it in to be charged with a secure pin at point of purchase.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 12:57:41 PM

It would have to be a country... as any country we tried to do this in would steal everything we had in the name of justice or terrorism or really w/e as the masses are really stupid and believe anything.
turvarya

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 01:04:17 PM

Yeah, Sounds great ...

no i wasnt clear on that bit, i meant more or less having a bank that oversees the process , imagine going to  a "bank" and essentially depositing bitcoin in return for "notes" that are sealed in pre determined denominations that you can trade with. until someone comes out with an instant transaction process for bitcoin i believe that is essentially the quickest method of transacting in store. imean sure theres otherways but this is the whole point, its an experiment to test theories and method out before they are rolled out because the pioneers are the ones who take the risk but often are rewarded the most. if you did this stuff in the cities and itbackfires or fucks up i gaurantee it will be a huge blow to the bitcoin price. you want to show a city that runs on bitcoin and only bitcoin.

as for taxes, as far as im aware , you can only betaxed on the dollar. and capital gains but it all depends on how you interpret bitcoin
Transactions are instant, like many People who actually use Bitcoins(like this guy with the Bar in Berlin) stated in here before. Just the 8 confirmations may take some time.
Also, if you make "notes", you always have the Problem about counterfeiting, which Bitcoins prevent

bpbamberger

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 01:04:49 PM

It would have to be a country... as any country we tried to do this in would steal everything we had in the name of justice or terrorism or really w/e as the masses are really stupid and believe anything.

I think it should be an enormous floating Bitcoin city, that could travel the open ocean. If these could be feasible and repeated the world would avoid overpopulation issues.
JohnFromWIT

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 01:08:40 PM

Sounds like a great idea, but an enormous undertaking.
There would be so much to consider that something important could easily be ignored.
And imagine trying to keep bitcoiners in line while developing this place.
Some would work hard, some would embezzle all the funds, others would actively try to tear everything down.
You could start with a preexisting town as a dedicated bitcoin community and expand in planned stages.
Imagine pitching that to the towns mayor though, lol.

spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 01:16:22 PM

I think it should be an enormous floating Bitcoin city, that could travel the open ocean. If these could be feasible and repeated the world would avoid overpopulation issues.

I like this idea.
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 01:26:32 PM

How coincidental !!! I was thinking something similar yesterday. But I was not thinking about a city. I was thinking about crowdfunding a multistoried building and returning the bitcoins to investors by selling apartments in it. There is ample of real estate opportunity in India. We are just short of funding.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 02:15:09 PM

And how do people pay taxes? In BTC (I don't think it's possible) or in AUD (so they need to sell btc for aud)?

What a sad world you must live in. Free yourself.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 02:16:35 PM

As far as this idea goes...stay tuned...

I did not create a tool for voting with bitcoin for nothing.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
JohnFromWIT

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 02:17:25 PM

How coincidental !!! I was thinking something similar yesterday. But I was not thinking about a city. I was thinking about crowdfunding a multistoried building and returning the bitcoins to investors by selling apartments in it. There is ample of real estate opportunity in India. We are just short of funding.

Could try http://www.bitpools.com/ when it's fully up and running.
I think thats the idea behind the website. Crowdfunding.

EDIT: Ah, the creator beat me to it.

newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 02:21:20 PM

seems the server is too slow... the site is not loading Sad

JohnFromWIT

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 02:57:38 PM

seems the server is too slow... the site is not loading Sad

Strange, it was working just a minute ago.
I think it launched just yesterday, so they're probably having a few teething problems.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: