Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:50:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TorCoin  (Read 5564 times)
knightcoin (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 09:03:33 AM

Sounds a nice concept ...

Proof-of-Bandwidth Altcoins for Compensating Relays

Abstract. The Tor network relies on volunteer relay operators for relay bandwidth, which may limit its growth and scaling potential. Wepropose an incentive scheme for Tor relying on two novel concepts. We
introduce TorCoin, an \altcoin" that uses the Bitcoin protocol to reward relays for contributing bandwidth. Relays \mine" TorCoins, then sell them for cash on any existing altcoin exchange. To verify that a given TorCoin represents actual bandwidth transferred, we introduce TorPath, a decentralized protocol for forming Tor circuits such that each circuit is
privately-addressable but publicly veri able. Each circuit's participants may then collectively mine a limited number of TorCoins, in proportion to the end-to-end transmission goodput they measure on that circuit.

http://dedis.cs.yale.edu/dissent/papers/hotpets14-torpath.pdf

... your thoughts

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
knightcoin (OP)

Activity: 238

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 09:06:47 AM

sorry my mistake, I should post it on altcoins subforum

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 09:25:53 AM

You had me at Torcoin.

sounds like a good idea. And I rekon very popular, even if its just a clone but called Torcoin lol.
hope to see this in prod soon Smiley
probably should delete thread, some degenerate will probs steal the idea to be honest Sad

fryarminer

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 09:32:04 AM

This is awesome!! Will it be SHA? Or Script or neither? So hashing power doesn't make any difference?
erono

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 10:30:47 AM

Bitcoins you pay are shared among nodes you use. Nodes trust each other to a certain degree.

herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 10:35:48 AM

MaidSafe also will have some proof-of-resource coin.

Still not convinced such an approach can be 100% secure.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 10:50:24 AM

Sounds a nice concept ...

Proof-of-Bandwidth Altcoins for Compensating Relays

Abstract. The Tor network relies on volunteer relay operators for relay bandwidth, which may limit its growth and scaling potential. Wepropose an incentive scheme for Tor relying on two novel concepts. We
introduce TorCoin, an \altcoin" that uses the Bitcoin protocol to reward relays for contributing bandwidth. Relays \mine" TorCoins, then sell them for cash on any existing altcoin exchange. To verify that a given TorCoin represents actual bandwidth transferred, we introduce TorPath, a decentralized protocol for forming Tor circuits such that each circuit is
privately-addressable but publicly veri able. Each circuit's participants may then collectively mine a limited number of TorCoins, in proportion to the end-to-end transmission goodput they measure on that circuit.

http://dedis.cs.yale.edu/dissent/papers/hotpets14-torpath.pdf

... your thoughts
Like all appcoins, their application would be better off by just using Bitcoin directly.
cookiemonster7

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

Cookie...Cookie.

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 11:01:06 AM

I think this is exactly what the Tor Network needs, a lot more nodes run by people interested in just making some coin instead of who knows what most node operators have as motivations. Tor would become rather fast if this was undertaken. I really hope this takes off, I will be right behind it.

-  “Genius is fine for the ignition spark, but to get there someone has to see that the radiator doesn't leak and no tire is flat.”
chanz

Activity: 298

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 12:01:14 PM

Torcoin & Torrentcoin, I heard these two names in the forums and already up for it. Bring it on!!

My BTC address : 1KfS1c14Tg2hgQEVz2bCJeFox6FpyYFvM6
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 12:31:57 PM

Great idea, if I knew what I was doing I would have started coding this a while ago. Along with my other great idea, a decentralized replacement for this forum.

Too bad I'm just a lowly network admin and not a superstar developer.

pabloangello
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 10:01:23 AM

Any info about launch of this coin?

cryptnutter

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 10:32:37 AM

It doesn't sound like users of TOR will have to pay to use the network so I am wondering where will the value of the coin come from?

JohnD

Activity: 124

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 11:20:56 AM

It doesn't sound like users of TOR will have to pay to use the network so I am wondering where will the value of the coin come from?

Strange Question. Where does the value of bitcoin come from?
validium

Activity: 350

Decentralized thinking

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 02:00:53 PM

The users of the coin will give it value just like any currency. But am waiting to see how it will be implemented

neptop

Activity: 314
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 09:06:20 AM

Is anyone working on implementing this?

BitCoin address: 1E25UJEbifEejpYh117APmjYSXdLiJUCAZ
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 12:11:19 PM

nice concept and i guess worth a watch.

http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/news/torcoin-making-anonymity-pay/2014/06/06

pabloangello
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 08:25:07 PM

Any news here? How is the progress?

C64_4EVA

Activity: 68

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 09:02:45 PM

The users of the coin will give it value just like any currency. But am waiting to see how it will be implemented

But what will it be used for? If the TOR network remains free, meaning you don't need to use TORcoins to access it, then why would you buy them? It makes sense if you needed to use TORcoins to access the network and then the fees go to those running nodes.

Personally I feel that if TORcoins bring about a lot more nodes and hence much faster network speeds then it would be worth paying a small fee to access the TOR network.

cookiemonster7

Activity: 107

Cookie...Cookie.

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 10:07:07 PM

It is kind of like some of the coins which pay people in coin to run humanitarian projects such as BOINC or F@H. People will be able to run TOR nodes and make some coin to cover costs and invest in the speed of TOR, hopefully this works out because it could take TOR to the mainstream just because of a large speed increase.

-  “Genius is fine for the ignition spark, but to get there someone has to see that the radiator doesn't leak and no tire is flat.”
trader19
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2014, 07:57:18 PM

It is kind of like some of the coins which pay people in coin to run humanitarian projects such as BOINC or F@H. People will be able to run TOR nodes and make some coin to cover costs and invest in the speed of TOR, hopefully this works out because it could take TOR to the mainstream just because of a large speed increase.
there is already TorCoin released and just waiting for smart devs to takeover the project. check it:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=677434.0

Join the Elastic revolution!  Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC WEBSITE | NEW ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: