Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 06:57:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why did we develop into large country size tribes?  (Read 615 times)
BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 11:34:50 AM
Last edit: June 10, 2014, 01:17:38 PM by BitCoinNutJob

Why did we develop into large country size tribes when as individuals we usually like to socialize in small tribes <100 people.

Do we remain in these large tribes mostly for the benefit of the elites?

When and why did this all happen?
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 12:36:32 PM

Why did we develop into large country size tribes when as individuals we usually like to socialize in small tribes >100 people.

Let me wiki this for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City#History

The conventional view holds that cities first formed after the Neolithic revolution. The Neolithic revolution brought agriculture, which made denser human populations possible, thereby supporting city development.[4] The advent of farming encouraged hunter-gatherers to abandon nomadic lifestyles and to settle near others who lived by agricultural production. The increased population-density encouraged by farming and the increased output of food per unit of land created conditions that seem more suitable for city-like activities

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 12:55:30 PM

Specialization and trade.  If you design some arcane object like dialysis pumps, you want to live in a society that can support a bunch of other people of similar class who also design arcane objects so that you will have sufficient support structures, intellectual opportunities, friends, mates, etc.. in order to maintain your continued existence.  People like having access to arcane objects like dialysis pumps, and will happily help to break down tribal boundaries in order to attain this access.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
bitsmichel

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 01:21:17 PM

Why did we develop into large country size tribes when as individuals we usually like to socialize in small tribes <100 people.

In Asia, the tribes were under attack once in a while.

In Europe, About 2000-4000 years ago, the roman empire expanded trough military force. In order to protect themselves, people started living more together, building city walls etc. Before that, people pretty much lived anywhere they wanted.

BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 01:22:55 PM

Specialization and trade.  If you design some arcane object like dialysis pumps, you want to live in a society that can support a bunch of other people of similar class who also design arcane objects so that you will have sufficient support structures, intellectual opportunities, friends, mates, etc.. in order to maintain your continued existence.  People like having access to arcane objects like dialysis pumps, and will happily help to break down tribal boundaries in order to attain this access.

This was the type of answer i was after cheers.

If delivery and transportation was more evolved we could maintain < 100 person type tribes perhaps?  would we want to?
BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 01:27:43 PM

In Europe, About 2000-4000 years ago, the roman empire expanded trough military force. In order to protect themselves, people started living more together, building city walls etc. Before that, people pretty much lived anywhere they wanted.

ok so thats a different perspective to benjamindees,  do we stay together now as countries for protection as #1 you think?

This might seem a strange thread btw.  I just always find it odd i live in a street of people who are strangers.
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 01:50:07 PM

ok so thats a different perspective to benjamindees,  do we stay together now as countries for protection as #1 you think?

This might seem a strange thread btw.  I just always find it odd i live in a street of people who are strangers.

I am not sure why people stay together now, but I doubt it is for protection nowadays.

The bigger the group is in which you live, the fewer people you know. If you live in a small village of say 300 people, everybody knows who you are, what you do etc;
If you live in LA, chances are you do not know 99.9% of the people.

Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 02:36:46 PM

Technology and wealth increased and enabled the local bullies to expand their territory, until the controlled area met with another invincible bully's area.

niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 05:42:01 PM

I am not sure why people stay together now, but I doubt it is for protection nowadays.

The bigger the group is in which you live, the fewer people you know. If you live in a small village of say 300 people, everybody knows who you are, what you do etc;

I was forced to live in a 10k pop town for 2 months.
It almost drove me nuts.

No movie theater , only a medium supermarket with the cheapest brands , only two places where you could either drink a coffee or a beer , and after 6 o clock there is nothing open except for small neighborhood stores where you can only buy snacks and drinks.

And a 40 km drive to the next biggest town.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
peeveepee

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 07:40:56 PM

Technology and wealth increased and enabled the local bullies to expand their territory, until the controlled area met with another invincible bully's area.

Or when the 2 bullies decide to cooperate to take over another group of invincible bully.
BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:26:08 PM

I was forced to live in a 10k pop town for 2 months.
It almost drove me nuts.

No movie theater , only a medium supermarket with the cheapest brands , only two places where you could either drink a coffee or a beer , and after 6 o clock there is nothing open except for small neighborhood stores where you can only buy snacks and drinks.

And a 40 km drive to the next biggest town.

That is a good point, i also have lived in a tiny town with the same restrictions. I will say for me the pros out weighed the cons though, nice people, no crime etc.

However without the potential to travel or internet connection i might favour the small town less.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:03:41 PM

World domination.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
pummle

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

Bleating sense into the world

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:16:02 PM

Economies of scale. The economy is more efficient when there is a larger population living under consistent rules, so larger countries prosper. Places where there is a different set of laws for each village are mired down by too much red tape when trying to trade, and so they do not prosper. The larger, prosperous nations slowly overtake the poorer regions, either by force or by cultural assimilation: the people in poor countries do not want to stay poor, so they start doing things the way they see the richer countries do things. For example, in Europe they saw that the US was advancing more than they were, so they formed the EU to help standardize economies across borders. As this trend continues, there will be more standardization globally.

Perhaps that is your own fault? Turn off your computer and go meet your neighbors. Invite them over for a barbeque, see how you can help them, be their friend and you will be happier.

Trade bitcoin stocks, funds, and futures with the MPEx broker: CoinBR.com

The best place for bitcoin betting: BitBet.us
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:25:08 PM

Economies of scale. The economy is more efficient when there is a larger population living under consistent rules, so larger countries prosper. Places where there is a different set of laws for each village are mired down by too much red tape when trying to trade, and so they do not prosper. The larger, prosperous nations slowly overtake the poorer regions, either by force or by cultural assimilation: the people in poor countries do not want to stay poor, so they start doing things the way they see the richer countries do things. For example, in Europe they saw that the US was advancing more than they were, so they formed the EU to help standardize economies across borders. As this trend continues, there will be more standardization globally.

Perhaps that is your own fault? Turn off your computer and go meet your neighbors. Invite them over for a barbeque, see how you can help them, be their friend and you will be happier.

yeah, it's also free trade too. one of the many reasons why america was able to jump ahead of europe after WW2. its' probably why you don't need a passport to travel through europe, and why there is a euro currency in the first place. the bigger you, the more united you are, the more you can dominate other smaller guys.
BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 09:02:58 PM

Comparing our normal socializing vs a ancient tribe type socializing:

At some point in time before the BBQs they would be strangers, which is the part i find a little odd.  Also strangers have high amount of different variables with life targets, often wont be aligned with you.  You would bond with a tribe around you from birth and never move too far from them.  Maybe sometimes in life your tribe meets up with other tribes and you interact but still with your original tribe close.  

Maybe only certain people are fully ready to socialize on a large scale, most people around in my street have 1 issue or another.  Im not seeing a bunch of relaxed people happy in a new street type tribe - its rarer to see this.
hello_good_sir

Activity: 1008
Merit: 531

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 09:32:11 PM

More people means more military power.  Populations that can sustain a higher population density will win conflicts with and exterminate their lower density neighbors.  Increased population density is just part of the arms race that all human populations are engaged in.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: