Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:24:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sitting on the toilet with a laptop and an idea  (Read 6180 times)
chsados

Activity: 662
Merit: 545

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 02:16:59 PM

DIY Laser Tag System

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 04:24:21 PM

I also think this is a seriously good idea.  Imagine having a bitcoin laser tag room setup at something like CES, ComicCon, or a MLG tournament
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 05:57:33 PM

I also think this is a seriously good idea.  Imagine having a bitcoin laser tag room setup at something like CES, ComicCon, or a MLG tournament

What about those who don't play laser tag but would love to bet on the outcome? I could be sitting at home watching all the movements of the players in the field, thus allowing me the ability on whether I want to bet on that team the next time.

Two teams compete against each other once a critical mass of bitcoins has been wagered. The losing team gets nothing, whereas the winning team splits the winnings with the betters.

It won't take long for this to become a reality show, enjoyed by the masses.

Without me clicking any links from this https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=laser+tag+reality+show I can easily see that there's a huge market, some untapped.

Final score, 276-135, with Jamaican Hopscoth Mafia stomping The Mighty Morphin Flower Arrangers.

Stay tuned! Next week's match-up will be between Spider Pigs vs The Mighty Midgets.

What's a good name for a Laser Tag championship title?
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 06:18:21 PM

Final score, 276-135, with Jamaican Hopscoth Mafia stomping The Mighty Morphin Flower Arrangers.

Lol.

I think this deserves another PM.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 06:20:03 PM

I would like to see wars fought this way. Only money would be lost and the most skilled team wins no matter how much money you throw into it.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 06:25:12 PM

I also think this is a seriously good idea.  Imagine having a bitcoin laser tag room setup at something like CES, ComicCon, or a MLG tournament

What about those who don't play laser tag but would love to bet on the outcome? I could be sitting at home watching all the movements of the players in the field, thus allowing me the ability on whether I want to bet on that team the next time.

Two teams compete against each other once a critical mass of bitcoins has been wagered. The losing team gets nothing, whereas the winning team splits the winnings with the betters.

It won't take long for this to become a reality show, enjoyed by the masses.

Without me clicking any links from this https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=laser+tag+reality+show I can easily see that there's a huge market, some untapped.

Stay tuned! Next week's match-up will be between Spider Pigs vs The Mighty Midgets.

What's a good name for a Laser Tag championship title?

i already imagine that... a poor guy comes up and pays the entry fee, he only has 5 satoshi left and be able to play in the tournament. Any hit could leave him out for good so no one pays more attention to him. Curiously he "survives" 3 rounds in a row without sweat and wining a great deal of coins already. The final battle is right around the corner and the favorite is getting bets from all over the world but this guy keeps strong. He seems to have a purpose in this life, wining... you can imagine the rest Wink

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 06:31:54 PM

@OP: Actually, you reminded me of an idea myself and Maagus Iverson had a few years back for webcam-paintball-tank wars. The only thing we hadn't figured out at the time was how to make it pay for itself (It's prohibitively expensive to maintain much less set up). Seems like your "earn-BTC-for-shots" twist just answered that question. Thanks.

I'll bring this up again later when I have the time but I think it's one of those super-fun-matthew-projects that everyone might want to get involved in and I wouldn't keep it from you guys for anything.

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 06:41:57 PM

Within 6 months I'll be transitioning from grad school to making some nice $$$.  Nice $$$ = investment $$$.

In my area, I could easily see this catching on.  It seems that if BTC are legally defined as commodities rather than money, then it wouldn't have to be 'gambling.'  But I can think of a ton of people that wouldn't mind throwing down $5 (turned into BTC) to play some laser tag with a chance of winning their money back and then some.

Then, you could have an online kiosk linked to pre-selected BTC businesses.  Imagine someone on a laser-tag winning streak using their BTC winnings to purchase some Coinabul gold.

I like the idea of capitalizing on Bitcoins as "tokens" to help grow the BTC economy.  Anybody want to start a Bitcoin airline to give frequent flyer Bitcoins?

But seriously, I think these kinds of Bitcoin-token models have serious potential.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 06:58:16 PM

The more I think about this, the more I might actually want to make this a reality.  I just called a buddy of mine to share the idea.  He's not directly involved with Bitcoins and has never used them, but he's exceptionally bright and is currently working on his MBA and is always thinking of potential business ideas.

Hm...
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 07:07:52 PM

You could even extend the idea a little to include the waiting room where your waiting for your game to come up. You allow patrons to play pinball or other arcade type games where the high score is a pool that pays out in BTC (they leave their card in the game while playing). Of course, the pool is only a fraction of the BTC the game actually brings in.

Lol. This is turning into a $300k endeavor and on its way to being a Bitcoin theme park.

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 07:10:46 PM

You could even extend the idea a little to include the waiting room where your waiting for your game to come up. You allow patrons to play pinball or other arcade type games where the high score is a pool that pays out in BTC (they leave their card in the game while playing). Of course, the pool is only a fraction of the BTC the game actually brings in.

Lol. This is turning into a $300k endeavor and on its way to being a Bitcoin theme park.

My idea begins at laser-tag and ends at Chuck E' Cheese.

I already imagined the Six Flags idea, but I admit I have little interest in a Bitcoin rollercoaster.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 07:16:05 PM

I already imagined the Six Flags idea, but I admit I have little interest in a Bitcoin rollercoaster.

No offense, but now we're on our way to reinventing the wheel with this.

That said, Coinopexpress.com would probably sell you all the devices and parts you need to do any arcade center and for good discounts. I have worked with them for a while on DoogiDoogi drum and Pump it Up machines.

I really don't think people are going to pay money to go to a place just to pay more money to play games though, especially not just for the novelty of using an internet currency. Gotta be something more than that going on. Championship games maybe? Maybe like the movie "The Wizard"? Giant NES pads on giant projector screens, 10 minutes of Mario to see who gets the highest score and give them 100 BTC or something?

I actually participated in the Suwon Olympiad Game Competition in Korea and placed in the drumming competition. I would have loved that to be a Bitcoin prize instead of the $2,500 cardboard check.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 07:24:24 PM

Playing laser tag against robots that look like anthropomorphic animals, who once in a while stop to play a round of bluegrass or some funky rock, sounds, um, interesting.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 07:27:15 PM

Playing laser tag against robots that look like anthropomorphic animals, who once in a while stop to play a round of bluegrass or some funky rock, sounds, um, interesting.

I lolled.

That band creeps me the fuck out. I'd pay BTC to shoot them in the face with lasers, but only if OP was giving out Spyder III Pro Arctics as the laser gun.

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 07:29:00 PM

No offense, but now we're on our way to reinventing the wheel with this.

That said, Coinopexpress.com would probably sell you all the devices and parts you need to do any arcade center and for good discounts. I have worked with them for a while on DoogiDoogi drum and Pump it Up machines.

I really don't think people are going to pay money to go to a place just to pay more money to play games though, especially not just for the novelty of using an internet currency. Gotta be something more than that going on. Championship games maybe? Maybe like the movie "The Wizard"? Giant NES pads on giant projector screens, 10 minutes of Mario to see who gets the highest score and give them 100 BTC or something?

I actually participated in the Suwon Olympiad Game Competition in Korea and placed in the drumming competition. I would have loved that to be a Bitcoin prize instead of the $2,500 cardboard check.

None taken.  I like the simplicity of the laser-tag idea more than a Chuck 'E Cheese, especially with the modifications necessary to turn all those games into BTC-accepting machines.  

And I was thinking that Bitcoin wouldn't be the promoting factor, it would simply be used as a token like any other token.  There is this place nearby called Enchanted Castle where I used to have all my birthday parties as a kid.  You needed tokens to play the games, and never once did I question "what's this token all about?"  I just accepted it as part of the routine, and so did everyone else -- no tokens, no games.

But with laser-tag, the tokens/Bitcoins would just be used at the arena to play laser tag, buy food/drinks, and purchase shit with your winnings.

My 5-second model:
1)  Customer walks in, hands $15 to employee at the door.
2)  In exchange for the $15, they get a $15 pre-loaded Bitcoin card.
3)  Bitcoin card can be used to play laser tag ($5 per game), buy food/drinks, or be used to purchase BTC products (like gold as I mentioned above) at an online kiosk.
4)  When a customer wants to play a laser tag game, $5 is deducted from each card and goes into a game-winnings pool.
5)  There are BTC payouts for ranking players (e.g. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place).  At the end of the game, BTC-winnings are distributed to each ranking player.  The pay-per-shot idea could also work with a house-fee taken out before the game starts.
6)  At the end of the game, ranking players spend their new BTC on more laser-tag games, buying food/drinks, or buying BTC products at the online kiosk.
7)  Profit.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 07:39:18 PM

I thought arcade tokens by law could have no cash value. Does anyone know if that’s true?

Oh come on. You know better than to say something like that without defining a country/state.

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 07:41:48 PM

I thought arcade tokens by law could have no cash value. Does anyone know if that’s true?

Yes, as far as I know.  And those tokens have a manufacturing cost.  That was why I considered the Chuck 'E Cheese idea plausible.  It seems that using Bitcoins instead of tokens could be more profitable in the long run because of the costs associated with tokens. The difference between money and Bitcoins is not as great.  At least it might mitigate the cost of having to upgrade an entire venue to be Bitcoin interactive.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 07:42:50 PM

Oh come on. You know better than to say something like that without defining a country/state.

Oh, I thought he was from Lombard, IL, USA because he mentioned Enchanted Castle? Oops, my bad.

Yep, that's where I used to go   Cheesy

But I don't live in Lombard.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 07:47:21 PM

Yes, as far as I know.  And those tokens have a manufacturing cost.  That was why I considered the Chuck 'E Cheese idea plausible.  It seems that using Bitcoins instead of tokens could be more profitable in the long run because of the costs associated with tokens. The difference between money and Bitcoins is not as great.  At least it might mitigate the cost of having to upgrade an entire venue to be Bitcoin interactive.

I see. It might be safer though if you could only spend the BTC in house because you'd have a reasonable argument in court.

Yep, I agree.  That could potentially make room for a lot of extra profit if there was a rule such as, "All pre-loaded Bitcoin cards must be returned upon exiting the building.  You agree to forfeit all unspent balances on the card upon exiting the building."

Edit:  For a small fee, customers could create a permanent account at the building where they could have their BTC balances stored.  If they ever want to come back, they can access their unspent BTCs.  A rule for this might be "any account holdings that have been stored but unused for greater than a period of 6 months will be forfeited."
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 07:50:21 PM

I see. It might be safer though if you could only spend the BTC in house because you'd have a reasonable argument in court.

Yep, I agree.  That could potentially make room for a lot of extra profit if there was a rule such as, "All pre-loaded Bitcoin cards must be returned upon exiting the building.  You agree to forfeit all unspent balances on the card upon exiting the building."

Yep, that would be a perfect CYA and in fact you hope they DO leave with the cards.

See my edit above.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: