Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:23:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fee free online wallet / better client  (Read 1514 times)
LD-ZOGY8 (OP)

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 01:03:28 AM

Is there a secure online wallet service that doesn't charge for transactions? Even though it's usually only about 5c, it seems against the whole ethos of Bitcoin to change transaction fees. I thought that's what was supposed to be attractive about bitcoins, that it's like using cash?

Alternatively, is there a desktop client that:

1. Is portable (able to be run from a usb without installation / admin rights)
2. Able to import addresses / private keys
3. Writes the wallet.dat to it's own directory, instead of an arbitrary user settings directory defined by the OS? (This seems the worst part of the current client, bitcoin-qt - why write such a sensitive, insecure file to a separate directory  associated with the user account, where you have to seek it out and encrypt / move / delete it? It could be forgotten so easily.)

I know bitcoin is new but to be honest I was surprised at how basic the client seemed to be.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 01:06:55 AM

Would you expect people to hold and handle and send your cash for you for free?

MyBitcoin did this though and I'm sure many others do and/or will.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 01:13:49 AM

Is there a secure online wallet service that doesn't charge for transactions? Even though it's usually only about 5c, it seems against the whole ethos of Bitcoin to change transaction fees. I thought that's what was supposed to be attractive about bitcoins, that it's like using cash?
Uh no, where did you get the idea that bitcoins is "free" (as in, no cost)? Who pays for the miners after the block reward drops to zero? Nothing is fee free, cash has "fees" in the form of taxes you pay to the government to reprint the coins/bills. Even gold has fees, you either need an assayer to validate it's legit, or pay someone to conduct chemical tests.

Transaction fees are 0.001 BTC, which is less than a cent, much better than anything available. Want it cheap? Run your own wallet. If you're using an online wallet, you're paying for a SERVICE, which incurs an extra fee, like in any market.

Yes, the stock bitcoin client can run from a USB. You simply need to configure it properly. Don't ask for it here, search on google or the wiki (https://bitcoin.it)
Why would you want to do that? I'm guessing you're still new to bitcoins, and it's not a good idea to mess with stuff like this. If you really want to, i hear armory has that feature available.
3. Writes the wallet.dat to it's own directory, instead of an arbitrary user settings directory defined by the OS? (This seems the worst part of the current client, bitcoin-qt - why write such a sensitive, insecure file to a separate directory  associated with the user account, where you have to seek it out and encrypt / move / delete it? It could be forgotten so easily.)
it's called setting the data dir. search before asking questions, please.
I know bitcoin is new but to be honest I was surprised at how basic the client seemed to be.
That's why it's beta software. Besides, what more can you want? You can send and receive bitcoins, why add more bells and whistles?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 03:52:19 AM

instawallet.org i guess.

LD-ZOGY8 (OP)

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 04:24:48 AM

Uh no, where did you get the idea that bitcoins is "free" (as in, no cost)? Who pays for the miners after the block reward drops to zero? Nothing is fee free, cash has "fees" in the form of taxes you pay to the government to reprint the coins/bills. Even gold has fees, you either need an assayer to validate it's legit, or pay someone to conduct chemical tests.
Firstly, you should probably use correct grammar if you're going to be condescending (bitcoins ARE free, not 'is' free). Secondly, the block reward has not dropped to zero yet, has it? Thirdly, the fee paid is going to the wallet provider, not the miners. Fourthly, what you're saying is pretty much irrelevant to what I was asking.
Transaction fees are 0.001 BTC, which is less than a cent, much better than anything available. Want it cheap? Run your own wallet. If you're using an online wallet, you're paying for a SERVICE, which incurs an extra fee, like in any market.
Transaction fees are not 0.001 BTC. With Blockchain, it's 0.01. Oh, and strongcoin too. And a few others, apparently. Which is about 5 cents. As I said in my original post. Which you didn't seem to read.

Am I paying for a SERVICE? You seem to have changed your mind from above where you said the fee was going to the miners. Oh well. Anyway, the SERVICE I'm apparently paying for is the ability to plug in the details from my paper wallet and make transfers. At 5c a time, that's too expensive. And oh, wait, apparently some people do offer that service for free... https://walletbit.com

Yes, the stock bitcoin client can run from a USB. You simply need to configure it properly. Don't ask for it here, search on google or the wiki (https://bitcoin.it)

Actually, you don't need to do that. Apparently you're so new to bitcoin that you didn't know that. Bitcoin-qt will run from a zip package, but that's not what I was asking about. If you had understood the post, you would realise that I'm asking if there's a client that will do ALL of the listed things.

Why would you want to do that? I'm guessing you're still new to bitcoins, and it's not a good idea to mess with stuff like this. If you really want to, i hear armory has that feature available.

I'm using a paper wallet. I'm guessing you're still new to bitcoins.

it's called setting the data dir. search before asking questions, please.

Why even bother answering if you're just going to be rude and tell someone to search? Is your wife not home for you to beat her?

That's why it's beta software. Besides, what more can you want? You can send and receive bitcoins, why add more bells and whistles?
[/quote]

Yeah, bells and whistles like being able to import new wallets. I once bought a car and was told that if I wanted wheels, I would have to pay extra.

It always amazes me how people will spend their time making angry sarcastic posts instead of just moving on.

Really; why are you so angry?
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 11:55:22 AM

BitcoinSpinner for Android is free, plus you are up and running in seconds.
You pay 0.0005 BTC to the miners of the bitcoin network when sending a transaction.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 07:10:40 PM
Last edit: February 21, 2012, 07:51:28 PM by jim618

It is not quite there yet but you might want to keep an eye on MultiBit's progress:

http://multibit.org/help_runFromUSBDrive.html

In addition to the current Win/ Mac/ Linux installers I am planning to do an "AllInOne" version of MultiBit specifically for running off USB drives to make the setup as easy as possible.   You will be able to download the whole zip for free and there will be a custom "logo-ed" USB you will be able to buy with it preloaded.

There is a private key export/ import format for MultiBit - export is working but I have broken the import in version 0.3.0beta3 (it was working experimentally in 0.3.0beta2).   To be honest due to the way the blockchain is stored with MultiBit, importing private keys involves a blockchain replay so other clients that have the full blockchain work better.   blockchain.info can import the MultiBit key format and Andreas is planning to use the same format in his Android Bitcoin Wallet.

3. Writes the wallet.dat to it's own directory, instead of an arbitrary user settings directory defined by the OS? (This seems the worst part of the current client, bitcoin-qt - why write such a sensitive, insecure file to a separate directory  associated with the user account, where you have to seek it out and encrypt / move / delete it? It could be forgotten so easily.)
You can put your wallets where you want.

MultiBit is open source that you can freely download and use.   The only cost with using MultiBit are miners' fees - there is a minimum set of 0.0001 BTC per transaction.

There is a MultiBit thread along with all the other alternative clients in:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=37.0

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2012, 04:31:51 PM

I'm using a paper wallet. I'm guessing you're still new to bitcoins.

Definitely a third degree blackbelt BitCoin ninja. That is so awesome.

the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2012, 06:31:35 PM

http://www.flexcoin.com

been running for a year now...  mobile enabled for phones,  no transactions for flexcoin to flexcoin ids... 

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: