Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:47:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GOX and Bitcointalk was down - official FUD topic  (Read 2112 times)
SaintFlow (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

The first is by definition not flawed.

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 10:18:19 AM

Woke up this morning and both Gox and bitcointalk where down.

I found on freenode mtgoxlivechat
"[09:50] <@MagicalTux> back soon-ishg"

?before! anyone else could get in again there was a 9.1k and 4.8k dump

And I ask

what was wrong?

EDIT: bitcointalk is hosted by mtgox. This can explain why they went down simultaneously, but not why.
makes you seriously wonder about bitcointalks independence.

I consider myself a huge fan of both pages and invite magicaltux to use this opportunity to address what
happend.
Thumbs up for the quick recovery.

don't let me make you question your assumptions

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mushoz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 10:22:14 AM

Mtgox was back up before the dump, I could already log in. After the dump, the site indeed went down again. Probably someone lucky and early like me who managed to log in the first time the site was back up.

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
M4v3R

Activity: 607

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 10:22:59 AM

Gox was gone for few hours. In the mean time Bitcoinica's user liquidated some of their longs, but the trades got buffered because there was nowhere to execute them. So finally when Gox got back up, they executed them all simultaneusly, causing a dump.
tsupp4

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 11:14:55 AM

Everything is under control, so don't panic. Probably everybody noticed the downtimes. Roll Eyes
https://support.mtgox.com/entries/21035197-resolved-outage-21037-mt-gox-website-unavailable

"It's not rich who got much, but who gives much."
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 11:19:20 AM

Everything is under control, so don't panic.
Tell it to the kernel. Hur hur hur. ... Panic, fatal, death. OS error text outputs seem a bit over-dramatic.
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 02:22:17 PM

Personally I rather trust them - but how effective is it that they wrote:
We would like to stress at this point that this outage was the result of a software error, and that no security breach has occurred. Furthermore, all account information and trade data remain completely secure.
cheat_2_win

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 04:44:04 PM
Last edit: February 21, 2012, 04:57:17 PM by cheat_2_win

Woke up this morning and both Gox and bitcointalk where down.

I found on freenode mtgoxlivechat
"[09:50] <@MagicalTux> back soon-ishg"

?before! anyone else could get in again there was a 9.1k and 4.8k dump

And I ask

what was wrong?

EDIT: bitcointalk is hosted by mtgox. This can explain why they went down simultaneously, but not why.
makes you seriously wonder about bitcointalks independence.

I consider myself a huge fan of both pages and invite magicaltux to use this opportunity to address what
happend.
Thumbs up for the quick recovery.

Selling 9.1k and 4.8k doesn't count as dump anymore Smiley.

Edit: This is really serious after so many negative news regarding bitcoin. Who knows there might be some grand conspiracy to bring bitcoin down without resorting to major technological warfare. So beware, people. Now, on “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” scale, bitcoin seems to be at "then they fight you" point.
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 05:03:01 PM

Edit: This is really serious after so many negative news regarding bitcoin. Who knows there might be some grand conspiracy to bring bitcoin down without resorting to major technological warfare. So beware, people. Now, on “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” scale, bitcoin seems to be at "then they fight you" point.

Bitcoin isnt even close to the laughing stage yet.  No one knows what Bitcoin is.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 05:15:25 PM

This does seem to be the case with the regulation starting to come to Bitcoin.

Bitcoin isnt even close to the laughing stage yet.  No one knows what Bitcoin is.

They know!
Sadly the public doesn't.

Edit:
Maybe the Gox people took it down to add some code for the new verification process which goes in effect in about 7½ hrs (00:01 UTC 2-22-12).

Crypt_Current

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 06:44:30 PM

Bitcoin isnt even close to the laughing stage yet.  No one knows what Bitcoin is.

They know!

Edit:
Maybe the Gox people took it down to add some code for the new verification process which goes in effect in about 7½ hrs (00:01 UTC 2-22-12).

That's what I'm thinking.  Plus, the cycle mentioned here, much like Elliot waves, happens on small and large scales.  So, we may be in a "fight" phase of a smaller cycle, but only approaching a "laugh" phase of a larger cycle.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 06:57:00 PM

On the off chance that a single person in Bitcoin has missed this video about this topic done MONTHS ago,

Crypt_Current

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 07:05:48 PM

On the off chance that a single person in Bitcoin has missed this video about this topic done MONTHS ago,

I'M SURE IT'S JUST COINCIDENCE THAT VIDEO WAS PUBLISHED ON 9/11 SIR!

... lol, your intro always cracks me up

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 07:06:39 PM

I'M SURE IT'S JUST COINCIDENCE THAT VIDEO WAS PUBLISHED ON 9/11 SIR!

... lol, your intro always cracks me up

Wink

bitcoinTrader

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 07:20:31 PM

They know!

Edit:

Whats this new verification process?
I guess already verified accounts shouldnt be affected.

RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 07:45:19 PM
Last edit: February 22, 2012, 05:19:20 PM by RyNinDaCleM

Whats this new verification process?
I guess already verified accounts shouldnt be affected.

https://mtgox.com/forms/verification
https://mtgox.com/terms_of_service

Edit:
You know? After further reading into the TOS, I guess the verification isn't forced upon anyone unless they set off some red flags for illegal activities or moving large sums of cash.

This one puts that to rest.

https://support.mtgox.com/entries/20920158-aml-policies

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: