Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 03:53:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core vs. blockchain.info & other online wallets  (Read 2288 times)
Velsea (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 09:35:28 PM

Hello bitcointalk!

I've been studying the world of cryptocurrency for a couple years now and I plan on purchasing my first coins via coinbase or Bitstamp, but first I want to ask the community which wallet would be best in terms of security and ease of use? Obviously blockchain.info is the easiest to use as all I have to do enter my credentials and the my wallet is there, but I'm not sure that I want to rely on a website to store my money.
devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 10:14:19 PM

Hello bitcointalk!

I've been studying the world of cryptocurrency for a couple years now and I plan on purchasing my first coins via coinbase or Bitstamp, but first I want to ask the community which wallet would be best in terms of security and ease of use? Obviously blockchain.info is the easiest to use as all I have to do enter my credentials and the my wallet is there, but I'm not sure that I want to rely on a website to store my money.

Blockchain.info's the best in terms of web wallets. However, if you use it make sure you print a paper backup of your private keys. I'd prefer using the Satoshi Client, Multibit or Electrum. On the other hand, the most secure way of holding coins is on a paper wallet.

Come on over to the Ultimate Help Thread if you have any further questions, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=645750.0

Mayuyu48

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 01:39:03 AM

if you believe them to keep your bitcoin, then go to blockchain.info
they have good security and easy to use
but if you don't want other 3rd party keep you bitcoin, you should use multibit/electrum in your own notebook/PC
need to learn how to use it, but it's not so hard to learn

BawsyBoss

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:32:25 AM

I like blockchain.info as a hot wallet. For cold storage purposes I've wandered into the world of paper wallets. Online wallets are great for just small amounts.

Forever strong.
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:11:03 AM

I don't like 0.9x for.. I dunno something about the UI..

I prefer 0.8x... I don't think their is a reason why I should not be using it ? I don't use RPC so openssl/heartbleed isn't an issue for me.. I believe..
I also don't open the software very often,

Velsea (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:45:28 AM

Thanks all, decided I'll use blockchain.info for my "hot" wallet and use the Bitcoin Core client to store large amounts of coin with a backup.
BawsyBoss

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:48:48 AM

Thanks all, decided I'll use blockchain.info for my "hot" wallet and use the Bitcoin Core client to store large amounts of coin with a backup.
I encourage you to choose a paper wallet instead of Bitcoin-Qt. It is safer and not vulnerable to keyloggers/viruses.

Forever strong.
Aditya

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 04:18:03 AM

Hello bitcointalk!

I've been studying the world of cryptocurrency for a couple years now and I plan on purchasing my first coins via coinbase or Bitstamp, but first I want to ask the community which wallet would be best in terms of security and ease of use?

ATLAS.WORK     ║   WHITEPAPER  •  BOUNTIES  •  TELEGRAM     ║     JOIN THE FREELANCE REVOLUTION
dbshck
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 2440
Merit: 1616

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:29:36 AM

Hello bitcointalk!

I've been studying the world of cryptocurrency for a couple years now and I plan on purchasing my first coins via coinbase or Bitstamp, but first I want to ask the community which wallet would be best in terms of security and ease of use?

Based on the pictures, i wonder why paper wallet has less security than other cold storage devices ?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Aditya

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 04:35:40 AM

Based on the pictures, i wonder why paper wallet has less security than other cold storage devices ?

• Because paper and ink can degradation over time. Is not fire proof and water proof.

• And usually private key on paper is written in plain cleartext (not encrypted). Anyone read this private key can stole the coins.

ATLAS.WORK     ║   WHITEPAPER  •  BOUNTIES  •  TELEGRAM     ║     JOIN THE FREELANCE REVOLUTION
BawsyBoss

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:57:42 AM

• Because paper and ink can degradation over time. Is not fire proof and water proof.

• And usually private key on paper is written in plain cleartext (not encrypted). Anyone read this private key can stole the coins.

To clarify my previous posts, paper wallets usually have a digital, offline backup. Both copies are usually encrypted with a passphrase.

Forever strong.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: