Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 01:11:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We're not going anywhere, until the 51% question is answered  (Read 6359 times)
akujin

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 08:44:26 AM

So, is this already implemented on bitcoin's code?

BTC: 165rKPfGJ3ndrG1QziHR6ACnViP4EQHNK7
LTC: LMysGMFjmF9gR9RzStij74msXrDP1NqW8X
DOGE: DRZXGgcKN8kANwko3VycsBVVGqfy6XsSpM
Hyena
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1013

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 10:32:15 AM

why not track down miners and destroy their equipment in a criminal act?

or at least the miners who are those imbeciles mining as a horde under the same mining pool. or maybe it would be possible to disable centralized mining from bitcoin altogether?

If bitcoin 0.9.2 was to come out with the hard fork so that newer versions no longer allow centralized mining I would rather support it and have everyone forced to use P2P mining.

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 11:34:40 AM

I think the best solution would be if we as a community decided that each mining guild should not exceed 10% of the total network rate. This way people are still ensured regular blocks and it would be much harder to get enough groups together for a 51% attack.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
WompRat

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:24:42 PM

If bitcoin 0.9.2 was to come out with the hard fork so that newer versions no longer allow centralized mining I would rather support it and have everyone forced to use P2P mining.

I think the best solution would be if we as a community decided that each mining guild should not exceed 10% of the total network rate. This way people are still ensured regular blocks and it would be much harder to get enough groups together for a 51% attack.

I am not quite sure how you would get pool owners to accept a change that would negatively affect them.  At best they would just subdivide their pools into smaller pools and carry on, possibly obscuring their ownership.
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:34:28 PM

I am not quite sure how you would get pool owners to accept a change that would negatively affect them.  At best they would just subdivide their pools into smaller pools and carry on, possibly obscuring their ownership.
Not the pool owners, the miners. And the second problem would be a matter of not signing up for someone with unknown owners. But of course that won't happen until we have an actual 51% clusterfuck.

sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:47:00 PM

no because anyone smart enough to warrant trying it will already understand why its not worth it. but *just in case* there are stupid people in the world with more money than sense (i know). that thread gives some reassurance that its not the issue people think it is.

whats more telling is the way people seem to think this is a black an white issue.

Setting aside transaction manipulation, which is largely a non-issue given the nature and transparancy of the bitcoin protocol.

In terms of block reward hash rate doesn't guarantee anything. hash rate as the fuel to the fire that is block generation. block generation is what gives you the power to manipulate the chain.

Having 51% doesn't magically give you guaranteed control, just as 49% doesn't mean you can't possibly manipulate it.

The hash rate is a reflection of the probability you can solve the next block before anyone else. 51% is marginal, its basically still a coin flip, just like 49% is.

With 51% The chance you can solve two consecutive blocks is 0.51^2 = 26%
The chance you can get 6 blocks is 0.51^6 = 1.7%

Anyone with the most base understanding of how things work can see that with 51% of the hashrate you are going to average 75BTC per 6 blocks.

Over time you are averaging 12.5 BTC per block.

Or you can get 150BTC 1.7% of the time by trying to build your own 6 block longer chain before anyone else.

Over time you would average 0.43BTC per block.

To make it worthwhile, you would need to get your 6 block chain in 50% of the time or more. To guarantee that you need 89% of the hashing power (6th root of 0.5)

If you have 89% of hashing power though, you'd still be better of just hashing. because you would average 22BTC per block.

In a way its good that idiots with a lot of hashing power might try this, because in the long term it means their hashing power wouldn't count, and any remaing honest miners get a bigger piece of the pie Wink

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:52:50 PM

Yeah but remember, people are dumb. Most don't do numbers. Look around this forum, how many people give the impression that they understand what they have thrown money at? I could name a few, but most don't fall in that category. If there ever is a 51% attack that gets even a little bit of publicity there will be panic.

Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:55:29 PM

No institutional investor is going to put millions of dollars into something that can be killed off by a few douchebags like Ghash.io. Think about it...

I can answer it with a question: Why care? By the way, I know who John Galt is.

Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:58:41 PM

No institutional investor is going to put millions of dollars into something that can be killed off by a few douchebags like Ghash.io. Think about it...

I can answer it with a question: Why care? By the way, I know who John Galt is.

No, I can answer it better. The problem with the 51% attack is the name. It's too catchy.

BCwinning

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 01:42:07 PM

all the ones who are the first to chime in here saying who cares it isn't a problem will the first ones crying they lost their lifesavings.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
Bitcopia

Activity: 715

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:18:43 PM

all the ones who are the first to chime in here saying who cares it isn't a problem will the first ones crying they lost their lifesavings.

As if this exact same FUD wasn't circulated only 6 months ago in December/ January.  Roll Eyes

Last time the network hard forked, miners acted swiftly to resolve the issue. Shortly after the huge (but quick) panic, we saw the beginning of a massive rally. The ones who panicked lost. The ones who understood the issue made a lot of money.

In the incredibly rare and stupid event Ghash forks the network, you can bet we would see similar action. The weak would panic, the miners would move, the network would be fine, and the strong would pick up some cheap coins.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:38:55 PM

be careful to avoid actually discussing any facts, and make sure to only use hyperbole, sensational language and speculation on this forum. its's what keeps it ticking!

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
K128kevin2

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:40:41 PM

I don't think any investors care about the 51% issue because everyone knows that it's not an issue. It's never going to happen. The person it would harm most is the person who controls 51%.
Asrael999

Activity: 703
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:48:19 PM

why is it always about ghash - go beat up on BTC guild to cut the 3% fee to something vaguely reasonable. Then maybe miners will stop pointing at ghash
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 4603

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:48:56 PM

be careful to avoid actually discussing any facts, and make sure to only use hyperbole, sensational language and speculation on this forum. its's what keeps it ticking!

LOL How true.  Grin
BCwinning

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:59:55 PM

I don't really care. Let it crash. More ppl mine on ghash the more blocks solved = faster money for me.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 06:52:57 PM

The question has been answered : the risk is utterly low

Undone

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 07:38:41 PM

GHash generated 7 of 12 blocks since 0:00 UTC today. It means 58%.
No, it doesn't.
BCwinning

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 07:39:16 PM

and what happens when a pool hits 60% or 70%? no risk still?
never happen?

HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 07:42:06 PM

The March 2013 fork was much scarier and the core devs and miners had the prob fixed in an hour.

If you really want something to worry about, worry about ECDSA being broken.  If someone could crack public addresses within a reasonable amount of time AND without forewarning, then things might get interesting.  Of course this scenario is next to impossible also. Anyone able to crack ECDSA would have to make a decision of whether to steal some bitcoins or set off some nuclear warheads first.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: