Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 07:04:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help. Need to buy 1 Coin  (Read 2805 times)
Coef

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

Exhausted

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 11:33:35 AM

I need to buy 1 coin or .79 of one coin to unlock the latest CryptoWall Virus on a employee computer. There is no other solution then to try paying them to release his files. he had no back up or restore points

I am trying to buy 1 coin using American Express Business card.

Tried Virwox- max 78$ deposit - doubtful they would let me deposit multiple times

Coinmama- doesn't seem to allow us users
Coin.mx- really doesn't seem legit and also doesn't accept AMEX

Anyone have any other suggestions? may have to find an in person exchange for $700 - 1 btc locally.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You donwload a well known virus - try deleting it - if that does not work, take your computer to a local expert.

You can remove the virus, but I am afraid you can't recover your files unless you have backup...
http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/i-have-virus-cryptowall
http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-cryptowall-virus.html

Need1fkncoin (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:56:54 PM

Thank you everyone for the help. Should have explained, but yes the problem isn't getting the virus off, but the fact that the files are locked, and while likely that even if .79 Bitcoin ransom was paid doesn't mean files will be unlocked, from a business sense on their end it is worth the risk. same as when they kept giving me the okay to enter their CC info on websites that I felt were very sketchy.

Also should have stated I am in Southern California.
Again thanks everyone for the input and messages, seems like I will probably not be purchasing a bitcoin in the time I have been allotted with the options my company has given me.
Will still be interested in diving more into this as I go along, or seeing if I come up with any last minute revelations lol who would ever thought it would be this hard to buy a virtual coin!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:04:08 PM

DO NOT PAY THE RANSOMWARE!  Even if you pay it's still on your computer.  And if this is a business computer.... I hope you don't keep confidential info on it.

I think you guys are missing the point.  The software encrypts copies of the victims files and then deletes (and thoroughly overwrites) the originals.   Now sure if the user has a backup just wipe the computer (hell get a new HDD if you are paranoid), reinstall and restore files/content/data from backups.  However sadly many businesses are bad about making backups and for many businesses the files held hostage are worth far more than the ransom.  There is no "backdoor".  Antivirus can remove the malware (which prevents getting taken hostage again) but it also remove your unlock interface as well so that just ensures the files can never be recovered.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:14:33 PM

who would ever thought it would be this hard to buy a virtual coin!

The problem is that (much like handing someone cash), bitcoin transactions are not reversible.

This means that there is a LOT of fraud, where someone will pay for bitcoins with a reversible payment method (such as credit card, debit card, bank transfer, or paypal) and then once they have the bitcoins they will call the bank and claim that they didn't make the transaction and that they must have been hacked.  The bank (or paypal) then reverses the payment, and the bitcoin seller loses both the money and the bitcoins.

Therefore, most sellers of bitcoins will ONLY accept non-reversible payment methods (such as Western Union, MoneyGram, or cash).

It's not the sending of the bitcoins that is so hard, it's the receiving of a trustable non-bitcoin payment.  Unfortunately, there aren't many cheap trustable payment methods.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:23:51 PM

Never, in any case pay them. give a local nerd your pc, or just hard drive, and he will remove it for 20$
If by some chance windows are affected as a safety trip, just put new windows, coz as soon as you pay 1 time, in a week or so , he will ask you for more.
By removing ransomware, he unlocks your comp again, but he keeps original trojan that is allowing him to block your comp again.

cheers
Pkofet

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:29:30 PM

Never, in any case pay them. give a local nerd your pc, or just hard drive, and he will remove it for 20$

If you read the posts made by DannyHamilton and DeathAndTaxes, you will understand you are completely wrong.
You can remove the malware, and you can also say "goodbye" to all your files.

LouReed

Activity: 732
Merit: 500

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:29:43 PM

Thank you everyone for the help. Should have explained, but yes the problem isn't getting the virus off, but the fact that the files are locked, and while likely that even if .79 Bitcoin ransom was paid doesn't mean files will be unlocked, from a business sense on their end it is worth the risk. same as when they kept giving me the okay to enter their CC info on websites that I felt were very sketchy.

Again thanks everyone for the input and messages, seems like I will probably not be purchasing a bitcoin in the time I have been allotted with the options my company has given me.
Will still be interested in diving more into this as I go along, or seeing if I come up with any last minute revelations lol who would ever thought it would be this hard to buy a virtual coin!

Bro, it really isn't that hard to buy a Bitcoin! PM me and I WILL sell you one (or fraction if needed) just not with a CC. If it's that important, you shouldn't have any problem going down to your local CVS and getting a MoneyPak or Vanilla reload. If you're worried about getting scammed, I'm sure DannyHamilton will be more than happy to escrow the trade.

I am ready NOW, and will be online all day. PM me, or post here if you'd like to move forward.

Peace!
CEG5952

Activity: 658

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:31:05 PM

Tried Virwox- max 78$ deposit - doubtful they would let me deposit multiple times

Seriously? I've seen Virwox recommended before as an easy way to get money in/out (if with high fees), but $78 max deposit -- what kind of business model is that....?

Need1fkncoin (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:39:31 PM

If by some chance windows are affected as a safety trip, just put new windows, coz as soon as you pay 1 time, in a week or so , he will ask you for more.
By removing ransomware, he unlocks your comp again, but he keeps original trojan that is allowing him to block your comp again.

cheers

Again. not the removal part, we removed it in less than 10 mins. Locked files are the key, It will take that nerd (In theory) longer than the universe has existed to crack said encryption. Don't have that kind of time. All I need are the files since there are no backups. Computer would be trashed afterwards. Trust me... I have told them a million times to tell the user we should not pay the ransom, and they are insisting if its possible to try, then try we shall. From their point I totally understand. The guy needs his files, the files and his time and worth much more than the .79 bitcoin

The problem is that (much like handing someone cash), bitcoin transactions are not reversible.

This means that there is a LOT of fraud, where someone will pay for bitcoins with a reversible payment method (such as credit card, debit card, bank transfer, or paypal) and then once they have the bitcoins they will call the bank and claim that they didn't make the transaction and that they must have been hacked.  The bank (or paypal) then reverses the payment, and the bitcoin seller loses both the money and the bitcoins.

Therefore, most sellers of bitcoins will ONLY accept non-reversible payment methods (such as Western Union, MoneyGram, or cash).

It's not the sending of the bitcoins that is so hard, it's the receiving of a trustable non-bitcoin payment.  Unfortunately, there aren't many cheap trustable payment methods.

Yes you have pretty much summed it up for me, and thank you, i'm forward this to my boss because he just doesn't get the concept that his card won't work to buy something. Anyone willing to take an AMEX Blackcard lol seriously tho.. what you're saying makes perfect sense.  

Bro, it really isn't that hard to buy a Bitcoin! PM me and I WILL sell you one (or fraction if needed) just not with a CC. If it's that important, you shouldn't have any problem going down to your local CVS and getting a MoneyPak or Vanilla reload. If you're worried about getting scammed, I'm sure DannyHamilton will be more than happy to escrow the trade.

I am ready NOW, and will be online all day. PM me, or post here if you'd like to move forward.

Peace!

Still I can't buy gift card with a company credit card or any credit card for that matter. I'm not prepared to spend 600 bucks of personal cash for the company, if I get to that point, i'll pm you. Working to get cash from them now, but as with most companies, shit tends to get done slowly. The more I post the more I understand the beware of scammers thing, from both ends. My posts deff seem sketchy af. Yes, if I was buying a bitcoin you're right it wouldn't be hard! At this point i'm no longer trying to buy a bitcoin until they give me a different method for the transaction. Deff got a good education, and will be around here doing some further learning!
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:46:38 PM

cheers

Again. not the removal part, we removed it in less than 10 mins. Locked files are the key, It will take that nerd (In theory) longer than the universe has existed to crack said encryption. Don't have that kind of time. All I need are the files since there are no backups. Computer would be trashed afterwards. Trust me... I have told them a million times to tell the user we should not pay the ransom, and they are insisting if its possible to try, then try we shall. From their point I totally understand. The guy needs his files, the files and his time and worth much more than the .79 bitcoin

This means that there is a LOT of fraud, where someone will pay for bitcoins with a reversible payment method (such as credit card, debit card, bank transfer, or paypal) and then once they have the bitcoins they will call the bank and claim that they didn't make the transaction and that they must have been hacked.  The bank (or paypal) then reverses the payment, and the bitcoin seller loses both the money and the bitcoins.

It's not the sending of the bitcoins that is so hard, it's the receiving of a trustable non-bitcoin payment.  Unfortunately, there aren't many cheap trustable payment methods.

Yes you have pretty much summed it up for me, and thank you, i'm forward this to my boss because he just doesn't get the concept that his card won't work to buy something. Anyone willing to take an AMEX Blackcard lol seriously tho.. what you're saying makes perfect sense.  

Peace!

Still I can't buy gift card with a company credit card or any credit card for that matter. I'm not prepared to spend 600 bucks of personal cash for the company, if I get to that point, i'll pm you. Working to get cash from them now, but as with most companies, shit tends to get done slowly. The more I post the more I understand the beware of scammers thing, from both ends. My posts deff seem sketchy af. Yes, if I was buying a bitcoin you're right it wouldn't be hard! At this point i'm no longer trying to buy a bitcoin until they give me a different method for the transaction. Deff got a good education, and will be around here doing some further learning!

ok, i get it. damn, sorry to see you facing with that problem.
use localbitcoins if u cant buy btc online for some reason, and next time thing twice when downloading stuff from net.

heres a good tip for you and everyone else that has doubts; download program called sandboxie from official site ofc.
whenever you are in doubt about some other program, open them in sandbox (safely) and then close it in 5 seconds.
if the file is infected, ull see that some program remained in sadbox actively, if its clean, when u close it , there will be nothing in sandbox after closing original program.
maybe sound complicated when im writin but it realy isnt,

cheers
Need1fkncoin (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:47:53 PM

Seriously? I've seen Virwox recommended before as an easy way to get money in/out (if with high fees), but $78 max deposit -- what kind of business model is that....?

Yes, I even emailed their support a page of details and information to try and get them to increase my max. I received one word and a URL as a response, directing me to their FAQ that states the levels of an account determine your max deposit. Level one max is $78 dollars. After a couple weeks you can deposit more than $78
CEG5952

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:08:38 PM

Yes, I even emailed their support a page of details and information to try and get them to increase my max. I received one word and a URL as a response, directing me to their FAQ that states the levels of an account determine your max deposit. Level one max is $78 dollars. After a couple weeks you can deposit more than $78

Ah, I see. Maybe they have problems with chargebacks, so new users must wait to build up a certain level of trust.

LouReed

Activity: 732

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:24:59 PM

cheers

Peace!

ok, i get it. damn, sorry to see you facing with that problem.
use localbitcoins if u cant buy btc online for some reason, and next time thing twice when downloading stuff from net.

heres a good tip for you and everyone else that has doubts; download program called sandboxie from official site ofc.
whenever you are in doubt about some other program, open them in sandbox (safely) and then close it in 5 seconds.
if the file is infected, ull see that some program remained in sadbox actively, if its clean, when u close it , there will be nothing in sandbox after closing original program.
maybe sound complicated when im writin but it realy isnt,

cheers

Ah, I sorta figured that might be an issue. If you can get cash, don't hesitate to message me!

Good luck!

Peace!
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 06:34:42 PM
Last edit: June 11, 2014, 07:11:38 PM by BurtW

An education in Bitcoin is often really more of an education if how your fiat money actually works and how it is broken.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
serje
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:58:57 PM

You don't have any friend with a prepaid card? A card where you put money and spend them on sites that are most likely to steal your info

I recommend you to pay by a prepaid card because then in case they ask for more you can track them down!

Space for rent if its still trending
Need1fkncoin (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 06:39:28 PM

Well I wanted to give everyone an update on my situation...

Thanks to the help and guidance of the members of this community I was able to use localbitcoins to find a seller.
I met up with him, "VenturaCountyExchange" on localbitcoins.com, and he turned out to be a great person.
The transaction went very smoothly and he made it a lot less stressful than I thought it would be.

With my .85 of a bitcoin I made the transfer to the hackers. In return they linked me to the specific decrypt program for the locked files on my clients computer.
We tested out the program on a non connected computer and while it was flagged by security essentials as a virus, the program looked legit and nothing to suspicious about it. We then unzipped the file on his computer and began to run the software.

CURRENTLY it is working, each file is being unlocked.

In summary I want to thank you all. I also do not encourage anyone to pay these people if it happens to you.
I think it is a shitty thing to have to pay 550$ and give them a gain for doing what they are doing.
However that was not my decision and I guess I must give them credit for at least being honorable in delivering on the promise to reverse the encryption.

In the end it is a lesson to always keep cold and current backups of all data of every user with a computer as there are so many of these viruses out there.

Could have been much worse, thank you for helping me along the journey.

Today I am the hero lol for now....

program is still running  Shocked

special thanks to BurtW!!!
bangi

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 06:59:18 PM

Buy 1 coin at localbitcoins.com?  Huh
Gimmelfarb

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 07:07:52 PM

In summary I want to thank you all. I also do not encourage anyone to pay these people if it happens to you.
I think it is a shitty thing to have to pay 550$ and give them a gain for doing what they are doing.
However that was not my decision and I guess I must give them credit for at least being honorable in delivering on the promise to reverse the encryption.

that is very shady. i've never heard of this practice -- encrypting files and forcing you to buy decryption. was it a virus? hacked directly? for sure, it's important to remember to keep back-ups of all your data!
Benjig

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 07:44:57 PM

Buy 1 coin at localbitcoins.com?  Huh

i think its the best way to buy amounts below 1000 usd, i dont know a country where they dont have some reputable sellers on lbc.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 07:51:59 PM

Buy 1 coin at localbitcoins.com?  Huh

i think its the best way to buy amounts below 1000 usd, i dont know a country where they dont have some reputable sellers on lbc.
bangi:  what exactly is your question or confusion.  Yes, he used localbitcoins to buy (less than) one BTC.  I do not understand your post at all.

that is very shady. i've never heard of this practice -- encrypting files and forcing you to buy decryption. was it a virus? hacked directly? for sure, it's important to remember to keep back-ups of all your data!
I am very surprised you have never heard of this very well known extortion virus.  It has been in the news and it is one of those things that has, as a side effect, brought Bitcoin to the public's attention.

special thanks to BurtW!!!
I am just glad it all worked out.  Stick around and welcome to the community Smiley

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: