Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:15:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Last block found was 75 minutes ago...  (Read 2560 times)
kuverty

Activity: 770
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 08:21:27 PM
Last edit: June 13, 2014, 01:42:38 PM by kuverty

Okay, some stats for your amusement just because I have not seen these before while lurking the forums:

The probability of finding the next block in

less than 1 minute: 9.5 %
less than 5 minutes: 39.3 %
less than 10 minutes: 63.2 %
less than 30 minutes: 95.0 %

As you are reading this, the probability that you have to wait more than one hour from this moment until the next block is found is about 0.25 %, small but significant and without checking the blockchain I am quite sure longer block times have been seen many many times before. It would be expected to see a 90 minute block time about once per year.

Based on the assumption of average ten minute block time which is the case when difficulty is "correct" for the current hash rate. Now that the hash rate is increasing, most of the time the difficulty will be "too low" and blocks are found on average more often than every ten minutes.
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 07:21:45 AM

It seems weird to me too. Can I now assume that the next difficulty increase will slow down now?
Possible...but highly unlikely!

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty

According to this website it will not decrease. It is not an exact science, but it is generally accurate.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
kuverty

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:24:20 PM

It seems weird to me too. Can I now assume that the next difficulty increase will slow down now?
Possible...but highly unlikely!

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty

According to this website it will not decrease. It is not an exact science, but it is generally accurate.

Yes. Some longer block times are to be expected. The difficulty has not decreased for more than a year and there is no reason to suspect it will do so anytime soon, though an exponential increase like this cannot go on for too long either.
serje
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:49:33 PM

Well well well!
After reading the forum a little I think I know why it took so long to find that block!

Maybe because LTC can be mined with asic now and all asic owners tried it!

Just my 2 satoshies!

Space for rent if its still trending
kuverty

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:59:17 PM

Well well well!
After reading the forum a little I think I know why it took so long to find that block!

Maybe because LTC can be mined with asic now and all asic owners tried it!

Just my 2 satoshies!

They can be mined with ASICs, as could any coin, but not the same ASICs, because of the AS in the abbreviation - Application Specific. Litecoin proof-of-work has not changed so ASIC bitcoin miners can still only be used for bitcoin mining, that is a different task.

You can see those probabilities I posted, it is easily explained by chance that block generation took so long. About one in five hundred blocks take more than an hour so there it is expected even with rising hash rates that there is an event like that almost once a week (block genaration taking more than one hour). 75 minutes is of course significantly longer and more rare but that will happen too.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 02:36:58 PM

When observable conditions are consistent with what would be expected during an exploit attempt, and those conditions normally happen only about once a year as you have calculated, is it not sensible to report those conditions, even ahead of determination that an exploit is underway?

Information is a good defense against irrational fear, and the alert may stimulate some research into the matter?  Thank you to the OP for raising the notice.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
TinyBBC

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 11:23:52 AM

So what,Go to eligiust and take a look

MY twitter is Bangel (@Bangel19)
ABitNut

Activity: 764
Merit: 500

I'm a cynic, I'm a quaint

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 12:37:02 AM

So what,Go to eligiust and take a look

How is that related to this thread? We're not talking about a pool. We're talking about blocks on the blockchain.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: