Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 06:40:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GOP House Majority Leader Eric Cantor Goes Down Hard Tonight!!  (Read 2422 times)
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:31:41 AM

Remember my thread that no one cared about relating to the District Convention that Cantor tried to steer away from the grassroots? Well, he got punked out tonight by an Economics professor Dave Brat in the 7th Congressional District of Virginia's Primary. This is Front and Center on The Drudge Report right now and is seen as putting the nail in the coffin on amnesty for illegal immigrants but the real story is how anti-NSA Brat is which is groovy for our types. He's pretty libertarian-ish on most things and will be a great ally in the House along side the Amash's and Massie's. BTW, Drudge is The Go-To site for all things politics and news in the US.

Title
DC ROCKED: Cantor Loses Primary
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_VIRGINIA_PRIMARY_CANTOR?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-06-10-20-05-45
The numbers were 55-45% towards Brat and I can't tell you folks how epic of an upset this is. I'm walking on sunshine up in here.
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- In an upset for the ages, Majority Leader Eric Cantor of Virginia, the second-most powerful man in the House, was dethroned Tuesday by a little-known, tea party-backed Republican primary challenger who rolled to victory on a wave of public anger over calls for looser immigration laws.

""This is a miracle from God that just happened," exulted David Brat, a political science professor as his victory became clear in the congressional district around Richmond.

Speaking to downcast supporters, Cantor conceded, "Obviously we came up short."

Brat teaches at Randolph-Macon College, a small liberal arts school north of Richmond. He raised just over $200,000 for his campaign, while Cantor spent more than $1 million in April and May alone to try to beat back his challenge.

Washington-based groups also spent heavily in the race. The American Chemistry Council, whose members include many blue chip companies, spent more than $300,000 on TV ads promoting Cantor in the group's only independent expenditure so far this election year. Political arms of the American College of Radiology, the National Rifle Association and the National Association of Realtors also spent money on ads to promote Cantor.
To hell w/ the NRA that phony hunting and pro-police state fraud of a 2nd Amendment outfit. GOA or NAGR are the best groups, I'm a member of both.
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:37:44 AM

ha, i heard it was due to a democrat (i forget his name) who encouraged democrats to vote for the tea party guy.. forgot that you could do that in some primaries.

reminds me of when michelle bachman needed $20 million to beat some democrat who had something like $1 million in finances.
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:53:01 AM

Also, any of you remember numnuts Rep Mike Rogers (aka NSA loving pro-surveillance state motherfucker), well his seat is now open in mid Michigan and our guy state rep Tom McMillin is taking on Rogers' clone former state house speaker Mike Bishop. This Cantor race is likely going to give major momentum to McMillin. Heck, even Rep Amash's challenger is probably shitting right now. I know it's Tuesday but if you're a liberty lover you should be lining up shots right now in celebration. Cheesy
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:05:52 AM

Too early to celebrate. I heard that Cantor is considering to contest the election as a write-in candidate. Considering that the constituency is heavily Republican, he may get the Democrat support. A repetition of the 2010 Alaska senate election? For sure, Cantor has the resources and funds to do the bogus voting and vote rigging.
beetcoin

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:09:55 AM

it's funny because the republicans have been trying to marginalize the teabaggers, but apparently they (and the koch brothers) have created a monster that is possibly too big to destroy now. what i want to know is how can cantor go in with a conceived 34% lead in the polls, yet lose..
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:15:22 AM

it's funny because the republicans have been trying to marginalize the teabaggers, but apparently they (and the koch brothers) have created a monster that is possibly too big to destroy now. what i want to know is how can cantor go in with a conceived 34% lead in the polls, yet lose..
Social media, right wing conservative talk host support and GOTV. Plus, as I alluded to my other thread the district party's delegates were heavily in favor of Brat and likely did a lot of the legwork needed to produce turnout.
beetcoin

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:18:08 AM

Social media, right wing conservative talk host support and GOTV. Plus, as I alluded to my other thread the district party's delegates were heavily in favor of Brat and likely did a lot of the legwork needed to produce turnout.

doesn't explain why their internal polling was so off though.

but yeah, apparently cantor rubbed too many elbows and lost a lot of support doing it.

Each time he twisted tea party arms, though, it cost him politically, raising suspicions among grassroots activists that Cantor was an impure conservative. On Tuesday night, the tea party said no.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/10/eric-cantor-election-loss_n_5482674.html

the funny thing is that he was the tea party supporter guy, and yet he got overtaken by one.
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:20:17 AM

Too early to celebrate. I heard that Cantor is considering to contest the election as a write-in candidate. Considering that the constituency is heavily Republican, he may get the Democrat support. A repetition of the 2010 Alaska senate election? For sure, Cantor has the resources and funds to do the bogus voting and vote rigging.
He blew his was already and of course the big wigs can double down if they want but this headline is too big and embarrassing to ride it to victory. Brat is going to be loaded up w/ conservative/libertarian money. If the rigging would've happened it would've happened today. Not to mention, the district party officers and delegates were pushing for Brat. Cantor had this coming for a while now. He was sacrificed at the alter of big establishment republican government. The establishment can either play tough guy here and ruin their image even more thus riling up more grassroots anger or live to fight another day.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:04:28 AM

He blew his was already and of course the big wigs can double down if they want but this headline is too big and embarrassing to ride it to victory. Brat is going to be loaded up w/ conservative/libertarian money. If the rigging would've happened it would've happened today. Not to mention, the district party officers and delegates were pushing for Brat. Cantor had this coming for a while now. He was sacrificed at the alter of big establishment republican government. The establishment can either play tough guy here and ruin their image even more thus riling up more grassroots anger or live to fight another day.

Glad to hear that Brat is having the support of district party officers and delegates. That will prevent any dirty tricks from the part of the Establishment guys. But as I posted earlier, it is going to be really tough if the Democrats lend their support to Cantor (I know that this is very unlikely, but it is a possibility).
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:09:49 AM

That could be very risky.

Although GOP is expected (IMO) to gain seats in the house it is generally not good to risk any seats to the other party.

Having two republicans run against each other greatly increases the chances of a Democrat winning the seat.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:13:18 AM

Having two republicans run against each other greatly increases the chances of a Democrat winning the seat.

Have to disagree here. If Eric Cantor runs as a write-in candidate, then he will take more Democrat votes than the Independent / Republican votes. A great example is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_Florida,_2010

There are many similarities for the two states.
beetcoin

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:19:43 AM

Although GOP is expected (IMO) to gain seats in the house it is generally not good to risk any seats to the other party.

you know, the funny thing is that republicans get the lower amount of votes, but end up winning more seats due to gerrymandering.

http://library.cqpress.com/elections/document.php?id=rcookltr-1527-84193-2523552

democrats aren't as organized or vicious as republicans, hence them being mocked as pussies.
Harley997

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:24:02 AM

you know, the funny thing is that republicans get the lower amount of votes, but end up winning more seats due to gerrymandering.

http://library.cqpress.com/elections/document.php?id=rcookltr-1527-84193-2523552

democrats aren't as organized or vicious as republicans, hence them being mocked as pussies.

GOP is able to garrymander due to control of Govonorships and state legislatures.

PRIMEDICE
beetcoin

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:25:50 AM

GOP is able to garrymander due to control of Govonorships and state legislatures.

it would be nice if the lawmakers weren't the ones making the rules imposed on them. fucking ridiculous how they are so willing to cut everyone else's budgets but their own. many people have suggested that they be paid based on results, but they won't budge. that's like writing someone a blank check.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:36:56 AM

The media is working over-board to claim that Cantor was a loyal Republican (and not a RINO). One of the arguments they put is that he has voted as per the official GOP line, 95.3% of the times. Now this is how the media houses fool normal readers. He might have voted with the GOP on unimportant issues, but has he done the same on crucial bills, such as those dealing with immigration?

Check his voting history here:

http://www.opencongress.org/people/voting_history/400060_Eric_Cantor

Check those marked with (against party)
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:22:23 AM

You obviously don't live in a heavily unionized state or are simply not paying attention.

Harley997

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:03:15 AM

it would be nice if the lawmakers weren't the ones making the rules imposed on them. fucking ridiculous how they are so willing to cut everyone else's budgets but their own. many people have suggested that they be paid based on results, but they won't budge. that's like writing someone a blank check.

If they were paid based on results then they would have an incentive to vote for things that they don't think is best for their constituents.

PRIMEDICE
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:12:40 AM

You obviously don't live in a heavily unionized state or are simply not paying attention.

Just another brainwashed Democrat supporter who parrots the same argument again and again. If the Republicans are accused of gerrymandering, then the Democrats are accused of vote rigging and bogus voting. The United States Senate election in Minnesota (2008) is still fresh in my mind. Even after extensive bogus voting (Democrat inner city precincts reported close to 100% polling), Franken was unable to win. Then lost ballots were discovered from various places, and the process went on until Franken's count was higher than that of Coleman.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:26:32 AM

Just another brainwashed Democrat supporter who parrots the same argument again and again. If the Republicans are accused of gerrymandering, then the Democrats are accused of vote rigging and bogus voting. The United States Senate election in Minnesota (2008) is still fresh in my mind. Even after extensive bogus voting (Democrat inner city precincts reported close to 100% polling), Franken was unable to win. Then lost ballots were discovered from various places, and the process went on until Franken's count was higher than that of Coleman.

I remember that well. If anything republicans are too nice when that kind of shit happens. I was not a big fan of Mitt Romney but when Philadelphia precincts were reporting 100% turnout with 100% of the vote for Obama I kind of hoped he would ask for an explanation at the very least.

galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 07:03:24 AM

This is clearly bad news for the Republicans.  Cantor was a major leader and had some intellectual heft (fairly or no) for them.  If he runs as a write in there is a good chance he'll split the Republican vote and allow the Democrat candidate to win.  Bad night for the Republican establishment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: