Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:41:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cost of bringing the Bitcoin network to a halt.  (Read 759 times)
auzaar (OP)

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:08:23 AM
Last edit: June 11, 2014, 05:19:07 AM by auzaar

What is the flaw in this if any?

https://pay.reddit.com/r/Buttcoin/comments/27tk65/quick_calculation_cost_of_bringing_the_bitcoin/

Suppose a person with old-coins wantto bring transaction processing to crawl by spending his bitcoins in creating max transactions, will that work?
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:13:05 AM

https://pay.reddit.com/r/Buttcoin/comments/27tk65/quick_calculation_cost_of_bringing_the_bitcoin/

What stops a person with old-coins to bring transaction processing to crawl by spending his bitcoins in creating max transactions?

I am no expert but I would think such an attack would be counter to the holders interest. If they can't move their bit coin it becomes worthless. 

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 04:37:41 AM

Rational self-interest. Study some game theory and try again.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
auzaar (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:54:58 AM

You don't need to study game theory for this, simple common sense tells me that if it works I can make profit, suppose I have 10000 btc and I want to take sell them (say booking profit after a long run), but instead selling them all I will sell 9000, then use 1000 to bring the network to halt so that exchange rate crashes, and buy my 9000 back,  so I have now lots of cash and  almost same number of bitcoins and  in medium to long term bitcoin price will come back after may be few fixes to protocol, as they always had
auzaar (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:56:22 AM

What stops a person with old-coins to bring transaction processing to crawl by spending his bitcoins in creating max transactions?

I am no expert but I would think such an attack would be counter to the holders interest. If they can't move their bit coin it becomes worthless. 

Btw I should re-state my question, I am not asking why that person should not do it, question is will it work or not if he decided to do that.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:57:50 AM

You don't need to study game theory for this, simple common sense tells me that if it works I can make profit, suppose I have 10000 btc and I want to take sell them (say booking profit after a long run), but instead selling them all I will sell 9000, then use 1000 to bring the network to halt so that exchange rate crashes, and buy my 9000 back,  so I have now lots of cash and  almost same number of bitcoins and  in medium to long term bitcoin price will come back after may be few fixes to protocol, as they always had

Yes these kinds of fears are completely overblown. Each time someone tries an exploit it will become more secure.

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 05:39:36 AM

The attack would not work as the miners wouldn't include only the attacker's transactions but the transactions with the highest fees. All this attack would achieve would be an enforced min fee of 0.0001 + x. The solution would be a wallet that rebroadcastswith higher fees every 5 minutes of not getting the tx in a block.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
auzaar (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:55:32 AM

The attack would not work as the miners wouldn't include only the attacker's transactions but the transactions with the highest fees. All this attack would achieve would be an enforced min fee of 0.0001 + x. The solution would be a wallet that rebroadcastswith higher fees every 5 minutes of not getting the tx in a block.

Yes that make sense, so it would just temporarily decrease transaction time and/or increase transaction fees.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 11:25:53 PM

Suppose a person with old-coins wantto bring transaction processing to crawl by spending his bitcoins in creating max transactions, will that work?

He would not need to use old coins to do this. He would just need to use a lot of coins (if inputs or outputs are too small then the TX would not be relayed by nodes nor confirmed by miners). He would have very little incentive to do this as it would lower the value of the valuable coins that he already has.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: