Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:42:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Max Keiser's website PirateMyFilm.com now accepts ONLY Bitcoins!  (Read 10926 times)
BitPay Business Solutions (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2012, 01:08:07 AM

projects accepting PayPal are not eligible for dividends, they are treated as a donation only.

ORLY!

Projects accepting bitcoin can payout dividends.  So this will encourage more people that list projects on PMF to select Bit-Pay (this is why you can only have 1 payment method per project on their site).

Oh, so Screw Banks, Buy Bitcoins was the first project that took bitcoins?  But that project is donation only as well and will not pay dividends. 

Are there any other projects that accept Bit-Pay ... and of those, any that will pay dividends if there are profits?

Screw Banks was the first one, so they could make sure it all worked, which it has.  There are a few things they need to add to their site like a grace period around the time their window closes, etc.

The project would need to be a revenue generating project to pay out dividends.  If you want to make a revenue producing project, and accept bitcoins for it, then list it on his site!  I don't believe there are any right now that meet both criteria.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 04:05:23 AM
Last edit: March 15, 2012, 06:07:50 PM by Stephen Gornick

Now having paid for shares in both types of projects (one that took bitcoins, and one that took PayPal), I can say the Bitcoin-powered experience was superior.  I'm not sure if the problem was with PayPal or with PirateMyFilm but I was getting an error page from PayPal.com when I clicked the Pay button.  I tried later using Firefox and it worked fine on the third attempt.

I wasn't the only one getting this error either:
 - http://piratemyfilm.com/blogs

Viva la Bitcoin!

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 08:41:33 AM

Now having  paid for shares in both types of projects (one that took bitcoins, and one that took PayPal), I can say the Bitcoin-powered experience was superior.  I'm not sure if the problem was with PayPal or with PirateMyFilm but I was getting an error page from PayPal.com when I clicked the Pay button.  I tried later using Firefox and it worked fine on the third attempt.

I wasn't the only one getting this error either:
 - http://piratemyfilm.com/blogs

Viva la Bitcoin!

also: with bitcoin no company (that will bow to all kinds of unreasonable demands by 3rd parties) owns the info that you funded this "screw establishment" film Wink

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 10:30:05 AM

Now that Max's PirateMyFilm website accepts bitcoins, it provides a service surprisingly similar to GLBSE, despite having arrived there along a very different route.

If one wanted to finance a dividend-paying film, which service would work better?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2012, 03:17:25 AM
Last edit: March 24, 2012, 11:08:24 PM by Stephen Gornick

I see that another film project on PMF which I helped to fund is now having trouble collecting.  It was oversubscribed even when it hit green light state but then only 80% of the amount that was pledged ended up getting collected.

This can really cause a problem when the project director starts to make commitments based on the funding target being reached and then collections fall short.

One method to prevent this from occurring is to require payment (as escrow) at the time the pledge is made.  

PayPal's terms of service don't allow for prepayments like this, so the project that wants this escrow feature would need to be configured as a project that accepts only bitcoin.  The problem then though is getting enough pledges for the film if it requires not only bitcoin payments but bitcoin payment upfront.  This specific film is based on a current event in the news so if it took, let's say, twice as long to get funding it might no longer have been a viable project.

What would be fantastic to see happen would be if a star from the KickStarter world  wants to do a project where equity is issued and comes on over to PMF.  The project then becomes a financial success for its investors and a bunch of those who donate through KickStarter start thinking that capitalism through PMF looks like an interesting alternative -- even if the project's investors have to figure out how to buy bitcoins to participate.

Here's my suggestion for PMF to allow projects to be configured for prepay/escrow:

- https://getsatisfaction.com/piratemyfilm/topics/allow_a_project_to_require_escrow_payment

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2012, 10:07:21 PM

I see that another film project on PMF which I helped to fund is now having trouble collecting.  It was oversubscribed even when it hit green light state but then only 80% of the amount that was pledged ended up getting collected.

This can really cause a problem when the project director starts to make commitments based on the funding target being reached and then collections fall short.

One method to prevent this from occurring is to require payment (as escrow) at the time the pledge is made.  

what possibilities would we have for this technically with BIP 16?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 12:35:19 AM

The first bitcoin-funded project on PMF has been released!

- http://www.ScrewBanks.net
 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CrOKDOyW-Y

Thread for the release:
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=80190.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

DublinBrian

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 07:24:34 PM

Max Keisers crowdfunding site PirateMyFilm.com has now abandoned Paypal and fully converted to bitcoin. Well done Max and Stacy!

We are dumping PayPal from PirateMyfilm and using BitCoin only. PayPal is too unreliable, expensive and doesn't support of eventual plan to offer dividends so we are getting rid of it. You have three chances to pay for your shares for projects... (More)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 07:31:26 PM

Max Keisers crowdfunding site PirateMyFilm.com has now abandoned Paypal and fully converted to bitcoin. Well done Max and Stacy!

We are dumping PayPal from PirateMyfilm and using BitCoin only. PayPal is too unreliable, expensive and doesn't support of eventual plan to offer dividends so we are getting rid of it. You have three chances to pay for your shares for projects... (More)

^ +1

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 07:35:02 PM

Wow. That is excellent.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 07:44:49 PM

Too bad the (More) link in their site takes nowhere and it's impossible to read the full post.

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 07:54:43 PM

Too bad the (More) link in their site takes nowhere and it's impossible to read the full post.

I don't think there's any more to the post.  That is it.

Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 08:58:18 PM

I was about to tweet this and then the site started to malfunction. It's giving out "Internal Server Error". Sad

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 09:18:10 PM

Seems to work now.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 09:05:13 AM

awesome! quite a move!

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 10:20:47 PM

I have made this short video to instruct the producers, who list projects on PMF, how to get setup to accept bitcoins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZgVP4h4g_c

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2012, 03:10:30 PM

I have completed a second video to show the users of PMF how to make a payment using bitcoins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spFOQ-fsz4Y

Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 06:30:20 PM

Really Cool, I didn't know of this. Luckily this popped up in the unread post section.

But the setup of the piratemyfilm hompage is a little confusing (at least for me).

For many projects I still don't get what they want to do with my money.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 01:18:39 PM

here some piratemyfilm.com fruits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L33zlFBiXLk&feature=plcp (Bitcoin 2012 | Documentary)

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: