Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:25:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Max Keiser's website PirateMyFilm.com now accepts ONLY Bitcoins!  (Read 10934 times)
Fizzgig

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2012, 10:36:17 AM

Just sign up, pledge money and then you are ready to own stock, if the film gets the required pledges you then purchase the stock. After you have your stock, not sure what you do but I'm just doing it to donate to films I want to see made.

Best Bitcoin supported browser game:
Minethings: Dig, Trade, and Fight your way to influence!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
February 28, 2012, 05:46:41 PM

Just sign up, pledge money and then you are ready to own stock, if the film gets the required pledges you then purchase the stock. After you have your stock, not sure what you do but I'm just doing it to donate to films I want to see made.
From what I understand: If the movie would be sold or advertised on, it could produce revenue, and you could be paid dividends on your shares. The "Screw banks, use Bitcoin" movie however will be free, so buying shares will just be in support of getting the film made, as you said.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2012, 05:54:31 PM

From what I understand: If the movie would be sold or advertised on, it could produce revenue, and you could be paid dividends on your shares. The "Screw banks, use Bitcoin" movie however will be free, so buying shares will just be in support of getting the film made, as you said.

Obviously, any dividends would be paid in bitcoins?
BitPay Business Solutions (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2012, 06:11:55 PM

Obviously, any dividends would be paid in bitcoins?

Yes.  PMF is setup that revenue-generating films can pay dividends, in BITCOINS, to shareholders.  This is a freely distributed project so unless we let YouTube spam it with ads, it won't have any revenue.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 28, 2012, 06:27:13 PM

Guys Max is getting anxious, I just got tihs email from him

we need bitcoin people to signup and reserve shares in 'screw'

or, we go with paypal and try again with bitcoin next time... ?

Please go to http://www.piratemyfilm.com/projects/304 and reserve shares in this video project.  The cost is as little as $5 and you can pay with bitcoin!

88% funded. 

Just 36 shares remain.

Shares are $5 each and for now, you are simply reserving them.  Payment (in bitcoins, at market rate I'm assuming) is made after all shares are reserved.

- http://www.piratemyfilm.com/projects/304

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Wandering Albatross

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 28, 2012, 08:05:13 PM

Quote from: tvbcof
I've never gotten around to figuring out PMF.

Ideally PMF would get it together with Bitcoin and I would be offered and offer exactly one thing each:

- They tell me:  A Bitcoin address to send Bitcoin to (green)
 - I tell them:  A Bitcoin address to remit any proceeds to.

I don't want to dick around with bit-pay accounts, PMF accounts, 'following' this and that, and on and on.  Bitcoin should be stone simple and anonymous and as best I can tell, it _could_ be.  I have not a whole lot more interest in having a bit-pay account than having a pay-pal account to be honest.

I completely agree that PFM should handle all transactions and not use a middle-man, escrow, bank or whatever you want to call bit-pay.

Couple of clarifying points.  This film isn't meant to produce revenue as it will be offered for free.  So there's no dividends for this film.
If it's greenlighted than your donation is kept by the filmmakers.

I think the reason PMF is using bit-pay is so that bit-pay handles paying people back if the film doesn't get fully funded or in the case of a film that returns dividends bit-pay would pay those dividends on behalf of PFM.

BTC: 1JgPAC8RVeh7RXqzmeL8xt3fvYahRXL3fP
BitPay Business Solutions (OP)

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2012, 08:10:23 PM

I think the reason PMF is using bit-pay is so that bit-pay handles paying people back if the film doesn't get fully funded or in the case of a film that returns dividends bit-pay would pay those dividends on behalf of PFM.

The main reason is that they need a fully automated system to set prices in dollars, monitor the bitcoin network, and automatically record the specific order in their system as being paid when the bitcoins are received.  

They could do this themselves with a home-grown system, but it will likely take them several months and it will be full of bugs.  Our system is far faster to implement and more stable than a home-grown alternative.

Here's a good outline of the do-it-yourself approach, and how bit-pay makes it easier

https://bit-pay.com/api.html

The key is that merchants don't have to know anything about bitcoin, or how it works, to accept bitcoins easily.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2012, 09:28:21 PM

90% funded. 31 shares remain. Keep it up guys! Smiley

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 28, 2012, 10:22:43 PM

Ok, reserved 5 shares. Let's get it!
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4578
Merit: 1276

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 02:05:51 AM

The main reason is that they need a fully automated system to set prices in dollars, monitor the bitcoin network, and automatically record the specific order in their system as being paid when the bitcoins are received.  

They could do this themselves with a home-grown system, but it will likely take them several months and it will be full of bugs.  Our system is far faster to implement and more stable than a home-grown alternative.

Here's a good outline of the do-it-yourself approach, and how bit-pay makes it easier

https://bit-pay.com/api.html

The key is that merchants don't have to know anything about bitcoin, or how it works, to accept bitcoins easily.

I didn't particularly mean to 'dis your service and I think you are doing great things, but I would rather see third-parties avoided when possible.  I, for one, am both annoyed at having to keep track of a zillion accounts all over the place and also sensitive about information within those accounts being leaked.

PMF with their lofty goals, big talk about hating the mainstream markets and financial systems, and not-completely-retarded (if busy) principle actors should be able to figure out 'native' Bitcoin...particularly for a campaign which has no revenue stream.  And if they cannot, surely they can find someone who can.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2012, 04:17:35 AM

I didn't particularly mean to 'dis your service and I think you are doing great things, but I would rather see third-parties avoided when possible.  I, for one, am both annoyed at having to keep track of a zillion accounts all over the place and also sensitive about information within those accounts being leaked.

PMF with their lofty goals, big talk about hating the mainstream markets and financial systems, and not-completely-retarded (if busy) principle actors should be able to figure out 'native' Bitcoin...particularly for a campaign which has no revenue stream.  And if they cannot, surely they can find someone who can.
We view what we do as a service provided to merchants.  Merchants will need to integrate with bitcoin in one way or another and they'll have to hire someone to do it (or spend time doing it themselves).  We offer cost savings by providing similar services to many merchants.  I agree that it's good to have a diversity of solutions available.  We can't be and wouldn't want to be the only ones providing bitcoin merchant solutions.  That would be a single point of failure, which is bad for bitcoin (much like bitcoin is currently very dependent on just a handful of exchanges).  And if it's bad for bitcoin, it's bad for us.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 04:45:09 AM

At 97% right now. 11 shares green lights this project.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 07:13:34 AM

We view what we do as a service provided to merchants.  Merchants will need to integrate with bitcoin in one way or another and they'll have to hire someone to do it (or spend time doing it themselves).  We offer cost savings by providing similar services to many merchants.  I agree that it's good to have a diversity of solutions available.  We can't be and wouldn't want to be the only ones providing bitcoin merchant solutions.  That would be a single point of failure, which is bad for bitcoin (much like bitcoin is currently very dependent on just a handful of exchanges).  And if it's bad for bitcoin, it's bad for us.

I appreciate that Bit-Pay is facilitating adoption by mainstream vendors, and hence my comment.

It does occur to me that a great many economic relationships could be handled by Bitcoin in it's native form and specifically _without_ need for accounts.  If any organization is keen to get me to have an account, I in turn am especially keen to NOT have one with them.  (I'm sick to death of everyone wanting more info on others than they need for their stated business goals and this is really becomming endemic as the Internet evolves which is, to me, one of the reasons that Bitcoin is such a breath of fresh air.)

In the case of PMF, and a lot of other things I've dreamed up, the actual needs are highly simple and there is no need for accounts due to the features inherent in Bitcoin.  As I mentioned earlier, if I have a green address of PMF's, I can send both funds, and instructions (by way of a small transaction for a specific amount.)  PMF need only an address to send what they owe me (refund if not fully funded, or installments in more complex campaigns.)  If they keep open books, I can cross-check that I am not being cheated...and if they won't keep open books there is some problem there and I don't want to be involved.

A solution such as I've outlined should be very easy to secure with no external access at all, and the logic involved in the BTC flows and instruction set should be very straightforward to code.  Have you guys (in bit-pay-land) considered offering a service to make such a solution practical to those who don't absolutely need a pay-pal-esque solution?  Needless to say, you could run in entirely in-house and square with the vendor in ways that users don't care about.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
damnek

Activity: 614

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 03:41:11 PM

Yellow light is on! Shares are reserved.
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2012, 04:20:13 PM

A solution such as I've outlined should be very easy to secure with no external access at all, and the logic involved in the BTC flows and instruction set should be very straightforward to code.  Have you guys (in bit-pay-land) considered offering a service to make such a solution practical to those who don't absolutely need a pay-pal-esque solution?  Needless to say, you could run in entirely in-house and square with the vendor in ways that users don't care about.
Bear in mind that only the person raising funds through PMF needs a bit-pay account.  If you're just pledging support for a PMF project, you do not need a bit-pay.com account (unlike Paypal…although I suppose you might be able to pay with credit card through paypal without opening a paypal account).

As for using bitcoin transactions in specific amounts to indicate specific things, while clever (and I see something similar being done with bitcoin options markets), I'm not convinced that's the best approach in the long run.  Creating an "account" for such things doesn't have to be any more onerous or any less private.  And consider that instructions sent via bitcoin transactions is actually putting those instructions out there for all the world to see, which if the bitcoin addresses involved could be traced back to the owner, could be quite revealing.

Instead, you could do something similar to some of the web based wallets, where all information passed to and stored by the service is encrypted and is only decrypted and used on the client machine…on the server side, there would be no ability to decrypt the users' information.  And all communications could be done via some form privacy protecting overlay network ala i2p.  You account(s) with such a service would be identified by a hash of a public key (much like bitcoin).  Depending on the nature of the service, the software on the server may do little more than serve up the software and account data necessary for everything that needs to happen on the client in a p2p fashion.

I definitely would like to make progress in these directions with bit-pay, but at the moment we have so many other things we're working on (and that are much needed) that I doubt we'll do anything on this front very soon.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 04:29:42 PM

Yellow light is on! Shares are reserved.

Here's how the project goes from Yellow Light to Green Light:

PMF 'Yellow Lights' a project when reservations have reached close to 100% of a project's funding requirement. When the Yellow Light goes on, owners of projects can no longer make changes to their projects and members cannot cancel reservations, but members may initiate or increase share reservations (per member restrictions).
24 hours later, the project automatically gets a 'Green Light' and no more share reservations are accepted. A 'payment window' is opened, and an email is sent to shareholders telling them how to pay for their shares.

Members have 2 days to pay for their shares. After 2 days the first payment window closes while a second payment window is automatically opened (and a new email is sent out). Any members who did not pay for their shares during the first window have another chance to pay, but their reservation has been moved to the end of the queue and there is a risk that others waiting in the queue ('standby') may obtain shares ahead of them.

This process is repeated 2 days later when a third payment window is opened. After which, if there are still shares unaccounted for, the PMF Fund may step in and buy them.
- http://www.piratemyfilm.com/static/how_it_works

Though this project is now oversubscribed by a dozen shares, it possibly could end up with unsold shares yet.  While it is yellow light (a matter of just a few more hours) anyone can still register and reserve shares, or reserve additional shares (up to a maximum of 5 per account).

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Wandering Albatross

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 04:53:32 PM

In the case of PMF, and a lot of other things I've dreamed up,
You're not saying that you thought of PFM, right?

the actual needs are highly simple and there is no need for accounts due to the features inherent in Bitcoin.  As I mentioned earlier, if I have a green address of PMF's, I can send both funds, and instructions (by way of a small transaction for a specific amount.)  PMF need only an address to send what they owe me (refund if not fully funded, or installments in more complex campaigns.)  If they keep open books, I can cross-check that I am not being cheated...and if they won't keep open books there is some problem there and I don't want to be involved.

These are good points. I would like to see open books across all/any project that asks for donations. It will happen someday. The sooner the better. Following the money trail will tell you, quickly, a lot about a project or org.

If what you're saying is to have bit-pay offer a service, that donors to PFM never see or have to deal with, then yes that would be preferred. bit-pay might take less per transaction but they could still work out something. Of course there will be such a solution written by the community soon so bit-pay will have to look hard at their model and become irrelevant.

I'm not bit-pay-bashing either but the nature of BTC is that of a decentralized, anonymous spend/pay system and it needs to stay that way no matter how many sirens sing their songs of ease-of-use or convenience, etc.

Is all the code for bit-pay free (as-in freedom)?

BTC: 1JgPAC8RVeh7RXqzmeL8xt3fvYahRXL3fP
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 05:29:19 PM

In the case of PMF, and a lot of other things I've dreamed up,
You're not saying that you thought of PFM, right?

No, no.  An earlier adventure that I was thinking about was a way of giving out BTC to the general public to get more people involved.  I envisioned a solution which did not require the recipients to have accounts on the donation system, but the concept was so foriegn as to not be broadly accepted (and a real bitch to try to explain.)

the actual needs are highly simple and there is no need for accounts due to the features inherent in Bitcoin.  As I mentioned earlier, if I have a green address of PMF's, I can send both funds, and instructions (by way of a small transaction for a specific amount.)  PMF need only an address to send what they owe me (refund if not fully funded, or installments in more complex campaigns.)  If they keep open books, I can cross-check that I am not being cheated...and if they won't keep open books there is some problem there and I don't want to be involved.

These are good points. I would like to see open books across all/any project that asks for donations. It will happen someday. The sooner the better. Following the money trail will tell you, quickly, a lot about a project or org.

I could not put it better.  From a system design point of view, I think that the best way to make people feel like they are not being taken advantage of is to have a system so simple that there are few realistic way to do so, and to give the users all the tools they need to verify things to their level of interest.  Simple systems also have other benefits in my experience.

I really like JAV's Instawallet approach.  I have to retain and keep secret one URL, but that's it.  Even if I do my part, he could still take me for all the BTC I have there, but that is clear both through his documentation and from common sense so I just keep some spending money with that service.  JAV never requested more info from me than he needed, and if I want an extra level of privacy from him, I just have to be careful about from whence I access the site.  (I've actually not checked my Instawallet for a while and have more funds there than I should at the moment...though no more than I can afford to lose of course.)

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 05:40:40 PM

Awesome! Thanks Tony and everyone else involved!

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2012, 05:43:03 PM

(I've actually not checked my Instawallet for a while and have more funds there than I should at the moment...though no more than I can afford to lose of course.)

Just like one wouldn't carry their life savings around in their wallet each time they go out in public to go shopping.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: