Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:19:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Expedia Accepting Bitcoins  (Read 3631 times)
TopherB (OP)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 01:55:23 PM

Another Brand name merchant joins the fray.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/06/11/expedia-wants-you-to-book-your-next-hotel-stay-with-bitcoin/
jjc326

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:29:57 PM

Wow all these new merchants, it really is like online merchants are interested in BTC.  I think everyone has started accepting it  since it's come down in price, right?  I wonder what would happen if Bitcoin went down to like $100/BTC? 
LavaWave

Activity: 686

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:21:14 PM

I don't think price would have anything to do with it, but seeing these companies starting to accept it is great news!

░░  ░░░     ░░░▒▒░░░░
          ░▓▓▓░░▓▓▓▒░░░░    ░░▒░░░░
      ░▒▓▓░▒▓▓░░▓▓▓▒░▓▓▓▓▒     ░░▓▒░
     ░░░▒▒      ░░░ ░▒▓▓▓░░░▒▓▒  ░░▒░░
    ░▓▓░  ░░░░░       ░░ ░▒▓▓▓▓▓ ░▓▓▒░ 
    ░░░ ░░░░░░░          ░░▓▓▓▓▓ ░▒▒░░ 
   ░▒▓░  ░░░░░░            ░░░░░ ▒▓▓▒░
    ░▒▒░   ░░                   ▒░░░░
     ░░░ ░░░░░░              ░░▓▓▓▒░
        ░░░░░░░           ░▒▒▒░░▒░░
          ░░░░      ░░░░ ░▒▓▓▓▓░
          ░░░░░░  ░░▓▓▓▓▒░░▒▓▒░░
           ░░░░░  ░▒▓▓▓▓▓░
            ░░░░░░  ░▒▓▒░░  ░░░
             ░░░░░░░      ░░░
               ░░░░░░░░░░░░░
                   ░░  ░░
  COSS.IO
Crypto One Stop Solution
▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚

▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚

▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚

▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚
..⧉ Multi-Wallet  ⧉ Exchange   ⧉ Merchant Platform
       COSS Token - An ERC20 based Token - revenue generating cryptocurrency     
▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚

▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚

▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚

▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚
..  ICO Details   
Whitepaper         ANN
▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚

▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚

▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚

▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚
▞⧯▚
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 06:52:20 PM

I don't think price would have anything to do with it, but seeing these companies starting to accept it is great news!

It seems like it is taking a while but it only picked up 7months ago and the media and politicians are trying to make us believe that there is a recovery and the financial system is sound again when it is not

blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:54:10 PM

I am booking a holiday to the moon
ejinte

Activity: 644

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:57:24 PM

They'll save a lot of money thanks to this. They're very smart those guys on expedia. Apparently they're using coinbase as their service.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.6%-1% House Edge
littlewizard

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 07:41:36 PM

Seems i can plan a holiday in expedia.. Cheesy
amitrwt

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 08:13:29 PM

So the adoption is spreading like a wild fire..! quite fascinating Smiley

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
↑ UpDown.BT ↓  Bet on Gold/Oil/Currencies like a Boss ↑ [Thread] ↓
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Mikez

Activity: 508

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 08:37:41 PM

This is actually quite big. More and more big businesses start accepting Bitcoin. These are great times to live in!

ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 10:47:50 PM

Wow all these new merchants, it really is like online merchants are interested in BTC.  I think everyone has started accepting it  since it's come down in price, right?  I wonder what would happen if Bitcoin went down to like $100/BTC? 

I don't think it is because bitcoin has decreased in price, I think it is because it has become more widely held and users have requested that it be accepted. Many companies will not just start accepting a new payment method without first understanding how it works at a very deep level.
boumalo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 10:45:26 PM

I don't think it is because bitcoin has decreased in price, I think it is because it has become more widely held and users have requested that it be accepted. Many companies will not just start accepting a new payment method without first understanding how it works at a very deep level.

Companies that accept it are still pioneers : it just started to get widespread; when enough people will use it most companies will accept it, not the other way around

koshgel
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 11:37:09 PM

The more companies accept bitcoin, the more legitimacy it gains. Don't want to always associate bitcoin with Silk Road and drugs
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 11:59:50 PM

Companies that accept it are still pioneers : it just started to get widespread; when enough people will use it most companies will accept it, not the other way around

I agree here. Companies are much more likely to accept it when their customers keep asking for it. Companies with slim profit margins (like overstock), will be the first to jump aboard, because a few extra percent of profit is huge to them.
boumalo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 09:13:06 AM

I agree here. Companies are much more likely to accept it when their customers keep asking for it. Companies with slim profit margins (like overstock), will be the first to jump aboard, because a few extra percent of profit is huge to them.

Companies do what is profitable for them and try to lower prices, lower costs and have happy customers, the number of persons using bitcoins is growing quite rapidly

haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 09:21:31 AM

Wow expedia accepting bitcoin is actually pretty huge, as they are one of the larger travel agencies. This will trigger other merchants to also accept bitcoin, otherwise give up the market share.

I've used expedia several times to book trips, and next time will definitely be using btc to pay.

boumalo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 11:19:02 AM

Wow expedia accepting bitcoin is actually pretty huge, as they are one of the larger travel agencies. This will trigger other merchants to also accept bitcoin, otherwise give up the market share.

I've used expedia several times to book trips, and next time will definitely be using btc to pay.

Expedia customers will see the Bitcoin logo and those who know about Bitcoin may decide to have 0.5 or 1BTC ready as an alternate form of payment

haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 06:25:07 PM

I think everyone has started accepting it  since it's come down in price, right?  I wonder what would happen if Bitcoin went down to like $100/BTC?  

And how did you come to this conclusion? Price has nothing to do with merchants accepting bitcoin. Currently most merchants that accept btc as payment, just immediately cash them out to fiat so price does not matter.

boumalo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 12:01:01 PM

I think everyone has started accepting it  since it's come down in price, right?  I wonder what would happen if Bitcoin went down to like $100/BTC?  

And how did you come to this conclusion? Price has nothing to do with merchants accepting bitcoin. Currently most merchants that accept btc as payment, just immediately cash them out to fiat so price does not matter.

More merchants accepting bitcoins mean more merchants believing Bitcoin is useful, used and will be used more so it is a good sign

Also, more merchants accepting bitcoins mean there are more ways to spend your bitcoins so having bitcoins is more useful thus more valuable

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 12:38:45 PM

I've used Expedia a couple of times over the past few years. I look forward to using bitcoin on it. Always great to see more companies popping up accepting bitcoin as it gets us that little bit closer to mainstream adoption and actually being able to spend our coins on something worthwhile.
gondel
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 01:00:17 PM

Hello,
From Expedia said that they will only accept BTC for the offers for Hotels . Also they will hold BTC for up to 24 Hours and then exchange it to USD. This is a big step, but they are still scared of the investment and dont want to hold BTC for the moment. May be it will be better if they hold for more time. BTW can I book with BTC for offers for hotels from my country ( I am from Bulgaria)? Are they putting higher price then the original?
BR
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: