Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 02:54:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Expedia Accepting Bitcoins  (Read 3631 times)
666uazan

Activity: 185
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 07:47:45 PM

While this is good for bitcoin it's mostly because Expedia knows that they will never have to give a refund to anyone paying with the coins. Ever.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 07:51:14 PM

The key now is to get the next level of penetration. Hotels accepting bit coin directly would be huge. It would be a nice role for escrow services as well to hold reservations and release funds once the cut off time is reached or release them back to the originator if they cancel.

tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 07:53:26 PM

Really great news, I actually may use this service.  Thanks for the news!
666uazan

Activity: 185
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 07:54:02 PM

So celebrate this, what are we calling it? Victory? This 'victory' for bitcoin, but know that it is a victory that can, and will, bite some of you in the ass.
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 08:21:57 PM

So celebrate this, what are we calling it? Victory? This 'victory' for bitcoin, but know that it is a victory that can, and will, bite some of you in the ass.

Why is it going to 'bite some of us in the ass'.  I've booked a hotel with expedia in the past and didn't have a problem.  I used a visa card.  Next time I use expedia I may get to pay with BTC.  I think that would be wonderfully convenient.  Can you be a little more clear?
sumantso
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 10:29:22 AM

Why is it going to 'bite some of us in the ass'.  I've booked a hotel with expedia in the past and didn't have a problem.  I used a visa card.  Next time I use expedia I may get to pay with BTC.  I think that would be wonderfully convenient.  Can you be a little more clear?

I guess the ability to chargeback on your card is what he meant. Bitcoin transactions are irreversible but I guess they will still issue refunds.

tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 09:42:53 PM

I guess the ability to chargeback on your card is what he meant. Bitcoin transactions are irreversible but I guess they will still issue refunds.

Aha, yes that seems like it might be what was meant.  However, if I was negotiating in good faith with expedia and they owed me a refund, I'm sure they can find some way to do it (either by sending my BTC back or by generating a payment in fiat).
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 10:09:44 PM

Aha, yes that seems like it might be what was meant.  However, if I was negotiating in good faith with expedia and they owed me a refund, I'm sure they can find some way to do it (either by sending my BTC back or by generating a payment in fiat).
I think that overstock will only issue bitcoin refunds for people that buy with bitcoin, and if you buy with bitcoin you cannot get a fiat refund. AFAIK the items are priced in fiat and refunds are given in terms of fiat, so if for example you buy something for $600 and the price of one BTC is $600, you would send 1 btc for your purchase. A few days later you request a refund and when the refund is processed the price of BTC $550, you would receive 1.09090909 BTC ($600 worth of bitcoin based on the price when refund is issued).

I would imagine that expedia would have similar policies for refunds.
DannyElfman

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 04:28:02 AM

Companies like expedia have their reputation on the line so they have an incentive to issue a refund when one is due as people would not do business with them if they have this kind of reputation

This spot for rent.
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 04:49:40 AM

Companies like expedia have their reputation on the line so they have an incentive to issue a refund when one is due as people would not do business with them if they have this kind of reputation

Yes, Danny Elfman with a David Spade face, I couldn't agree more.  For large, well established companies, reputation is crucial.
Denise520

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 07:17:35 AM

Maybe this showed Bitcoin was accepted by more and more people. Smiley
Keyara

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 07:20:44 AM

Now that bad news is gone with the auction. We can finally focus on good news such as this.
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 06:50:21 PM

Now that bad news is gone with the auction. We can finally focus on good news such as this.

I agree that this is good news.  However, I'm not sure that the auction was actually bad news.  I mean, in some sense, it seemed to me to be a legitimization of bitcoin by the us gov't.  A pragmatic one perhaps, but a validation nonetheless.
ThomasCrowne

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

★☆★ 777Coin - The Exciting Bitco

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 08:04:58 PM

The key now is to get the next level of penetration. Hotels accepting bit coin directly would be huge. It would be a nice role for escrow services as well to hold reservations and release funds once the cut off time is reached or release them back to the originator if they cancel.
I agree.  Hotel reservation/booking as well as car rental's the obvious next step for the travel-based industries.

Nerazzura

Activity: 378

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 10:37:47 PM

Wow all these new merchants, it really is like online merchants are interested in BTC.  I think everyone has started accepting it  since it's come down in price, right?  I wonder what would happen if Bitcoin went down to like $100/BTC? 
hmm, if the price of bitcoin down like that. I really hate it and I hope it does not happen, but if all online merchants interested and accept bitcoin. let's massive shopping: D
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 10:41:01 PM

wrong. the auction was good news - it was a litmus test to see how big and interested the whales are. i am pretty sure the coins sold at over spot value.
DannyElfman

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 05:06:51 AM

Yes, Danny Elfman with a David Spade face, I couldn't agree more.  For large, well established companies, reputation is crucial.
So larger companies do not really need to worry about credit card charge backs as much as their reputation. Credit card processors still need to price in chargebacks and related expenses. This is why bitcoin is so advantageous for large companies. 

This spot for rent.
NotAtOld

Activity: 200
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 10:28:34 AM

This is huge! This Washington Post article is totally endorsing Bitcoin!
wordman267645

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 07:17:39 PM

Wow!! that's really a good news.Everyone just start accepting bitcoin..
oceans

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 10:44:46 AM

This is brilliant to see Smiley the more and more big top online merchants come forward and start accepting the more bitcoin may become accepted and possibly accepted by those who are reluctant to accept at the moment. Seeing these accept only goes to show that bitcoin is becoming more popular it's just a slow process.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: