Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:29:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 person can cause a huge rally?  (Read 2876 times)
jumble101 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 09:42:26 AM

There was some one on bitcoin-otc who mentioned he "the man that got this rally going from $0.7 cents by pumping $22,000 into the market in 5 days."

Is it possible this amount could move things so much? He then sold some at a loss and re-bought to keep the rally going.. is this possible?

"Gentleman, I am the man that got this rally going from $0.7 cents by pumping $22,000 into the market in 5 days.

I even sold up to 10,000 btc at a loss so I could get the cash to keep the rally going or cool it off if needed.

today, the game go much bigger than me

I am now along for the ride

>>>> if what you say is true about driving this rally, did it feel like there were other large buyers lifting the market along with you, or was this all you?

no this is not all me, look at the volumes

I was fool enough to try to slow down the market this morning

dump a lot of coins

but then relized too much money was there and had to get out of the way"

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 02:39:26 PM

There was some one on bitcoin-otc who mentioned he "the man that got this rally going from $0.7 cents by pumping $22,000 into the market in 5 days."

Is it possible this amount could move things so much? He then sold some at a loss and re-bought to keep the rally going.. is this possible?

"Gentleman, I am the man that got this rally going from $0.7 cents by pumping $22,000 into the market in 5 days.

I even sold up to 10,000 btc at a loss so I could get the cash to keep the rally going or cool it off if needed.

today, the game go much bigger than me

I am now along for the ride

>>>> if what you say is true about driving this rally, did it feel like there were other large buyers lifting the market along with you, or was this all you?

no this is not all me, look at the volumes

dump a lot of coins

Of course it's possible.  The market is super thin.  If someone wants to accumulate a ton of bitcoins, it will drive the price up since there are not that many for sale on the exchanges.  Not sure about his selling at a loss comment unless he wanted to buy a lot more and wanted to start a scare where everyone tried to get out on top.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 02:47:19 PM

dump a lot of coins

when did this person leave this comment? which date?

stamit

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 03:17:57 PM
Last edit: April 25, 2011, 03:39:37 PM by stamit

At around 2011-04-24 10:22 GMT. He had the nick "toddbethell". He stayed in #bitcoin-otc for one and a half hour. He started by talking about the case with that guy who "stole" from MtGox, saying it may have been an "inside job". Talked about third-party auditing of accounts. He was complaining about MtGox's withdrawal limit. He was calling the owner of MtGox by his first name. Mentioned "tyrany".

MagicalTux joined in and they had a chat. He said it's "better for the community that some things be out in the open". They said something about "leveraging cash" (BTC or USD) and that "that is what banks and finance companies do".

He said that he believes that BTC will go "way beyond $2".

<toddbethell> I worried that  when my money was coming into the account but not traded yet, that someone would pass a message... "hay, buy, buy, buy, there is a tone of money comning in!

He said that he has an MBA and that he has been telling "people with big money" about what is coming, and that they are "sitting up and taking notice".

For a brief time when the price of BTC had peaked, I noticed a "market depth" chart that looked a lot like two towers, one (bid) at $1.90 and the other (ask) at $2.00.

EDIT: Before that, I noticed (at 2011-04-23 18:28 GMT) that somebody had put a bid for 15K (I forget what price). Then, at 18:36, he/she moved the bid to $1.1. There was a "game of tag" going on the whole time. The bids were concentrated and were moving higher, and the asks were spread out.
forexme

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 05:25:42 PM

<toddbethell> and yes, I do believe BTC will way beyoond $2
<xxxxxx> would you care to share with the channel what your buying motivation was?  long-term hold?  short-term speculation?
<xxxxxx> toddbethell: in the short term?
<xxxxxx> and also, do you have any opinion on the rumors of "the mystery 200k" buyer?
<toddbethell> , it is very important that no one at MtGox share information about the movement of funds
<toddbethell> that is a kind of insider trading problem
<toddbethell> cant really prevent it in the new bitcoin economy
<+MagicalTux> toddbethell: no one shares any information other than what's publicly available (past trades, depth of market, etc)
<toddbethell> but at this early stage, that kind of problem would really hurt
<toddbethell> I worried that  when my money was coming into the account but not traded yet, that someone would pass a message... "hay, buy, buy, buy, there is a tone of money comning in!" or something like that.

Earlier in otc mtgox comment somthing like "trading might improve on Monday", to their credit they then clarified this comment saying a group of incoming\delayed wires were to clear after the weekend.

I think it was innocent comment, but I just felt uneasy when I read that.

LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 05:39:16 PM

<toddbethell> and yes, I do believe BTC will way beyoond $2
<xxxxxx> would you care to share with the channel what your buying motivation was?  long-term hold?  short-term speculation?
<xxxxxx> toddbethell: in the short term?
<xxxxxx> and also, do you have any opinion on the rumors of "the mystery 200k" buyer?
<toddbethell> , it is very important that no one at MtGox share information about the movement of funds
<toddbethell> that is a kind of insider trading problem
<toddbethell> cant really prevent it in the new bitcoin economy
<+MagicalTux> toddbethell: no one shares any information other than what's publicly available (past trades, depth of market, etc)
<toddbethell> but at this early stage, that kind of problem would really hurt
<toddbethell> I worried that  when my money was coming into the account but not traded yet, that someone would pass a message... "hay, buy, buy, buy, there is a tone of money comning in!" or something like that.

Earlier in otc mtgox comment somthing like "trading might improve on Monday", to their credit they then clarified this comment saying a group of incoming\delayed wires were to clear after the weekend.

I assume it was an innocent comment, too, and one that isn't really a surprise. I was watching the market depth during the insane spike a few days ago, and the bottom line totals for bids and asks had dropped markedly by the time the frenzy drew to a close.

This space intentionally left blank.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 05:41:50 PM

who is the owner of mtgox? 
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 05:43:55 PM

who is the owner of mtgox? 
MagicalTux is the current owner, I believe.

This space intentionally left blank.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 05:48:14 PM

when i try to withdrawal from mtgox under $1K of BTC, i'm getting an error "invalid bitcoin address" which occurs with every new address i generate on the std client software.  why might this be?
Anth0n

Activity: 144

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 06:55:47 PM

At around 2011-04-24 10:22 GMT.

<toddbethell> I worried that  when my money was coming into the account but not traded yet, that someone would pass a message... "hay, buy, buy, buy, there is a tone of money comning in!

He said that he has an MBA and that he has been telling "people with big money" about what is coming, and that they are "sitting up and taking notice".

This guy sounds like he got his money in and now wants to try and pump up the price. No way anyone with big money will touch this anytime soon, it's too thinly traded.
tomcollins

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 07:07:20 PM

At around 2011-04-24 10:22 GMT.

This guy sounds like he got his money in and now wants to try and pump up the price. No way anyone with big money will touch this anytime soon, it's too thinly traded.

Thinly traded has nothing to do with some bigger time investors coming in.  Medium/big investors buy much bigger lottery tickets than BTC.  Buy $10-50k of BTC, hope it is a 10-20 bagger, and sell on top.  If not, lose 10-50k, a drop in the bucket for some people.  If you are right, $1M profit.
xf2_org

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 07:52:15 PM

Anecdotal evidence suggests that VCs/investors/traders/people with stupid amounts of play money are sniffing at bitcoin.

If they are remotely smart, and patient, they just buy a little bit each day.  Of course, a "little bit" could be $10k or $20k.

And addressing the thread $subject...  bitcoin market is very thin, so it's trivial for a single person to move the market.  Just like any penny stock or other thinly traded market.

MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 06:14:45 AM

Sorry if I got you worried, I was just referring to the easter weekend and banks not moving, thru the inability for anyone not using LR or another trading method to add funds to mtgox for (up to) 4 days.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 05:03:21 PM

He started by talking about the case with that guy who "stole" from MtGox, saying it may have been an "inside job".

I'm still concerned about this incident and the fact it was never really resolved. I think the price of BTC went down primarily due to the lack of trust we all have over there being basically only one real exchange.

Talked about third-party auditing of accounts. He was complaining about MtGox's withdrawal limit. He was calling the owner of MtGox by his first name. Mentioned "tyrany".

He's not the only one that is confused with withdrawl limits. It would seem to me that there is room for an exchange that doesn't have any.

Of course it will, it could also go way below $2, too.

This is why I've been using #bitcoin-otc when I do trade.

I think he'd be surprised the types of people that are already in BTC (as well as in the IRC channel). Having an MBA is meaningless, though.

For a brief time when the price of BTC had peaked, I noticed a "market depth" chart that looked a lot like two towers, one (bid) at $1.90 and the other (ask) at $2.00.

EDIT: Before that, I noticed (at 2011-04-23 18:28 GMT) that somebody had put a bid for 15K (I forget what price). Then, at 18:36, he/she moved the bid to $1.1. There was a "game of tag" going on the whole time. The bids were concentrated and were moving higher, and the asks were spread out.

With a sufficient enough amount of cash and BTC the price can be manipulated. Artforz, or whatever his name is, has done this on at least one occasion in the past and publicly stated it. We all watched it happen and it was pretty easily moved.
mhash

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 03:57:21 AM

US$20k worth of new BTC now being generated each day.
sexybit

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 04:26:02 AM

If somone wanted to sell 30000 to 35000 btc what mehtod could be used to lower the impact ?
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 04:31:52 AM

If somone wanted to sell 30000 to 35000 btc what mehtod could be used to lower the impact ?

See here: https://mtgox.com/support/darkPool
Anonymous

April 30, 2011, 04:33:31 AM

Do it outside the established markets through bitcoin-otc or use a mt gox dark order.

It will take you some time to withdraw though at the current prices at 1000 a day
wb3

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

^Check Out^ Isle 3

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 04:34:30 AM

Easy, go to the #bitcoin-otc, privately work out the trade. Voila, done. To obfuscate the transaction, do it in small sums to different keys. It won't even be noticed.

I still worry about attrition of the bitcoin. As people, leave, forget, loose, etc... their wallets it will drive the price up. My calculations put this at about 100 years when compared to real money attrition.

So as long as people trade in BTC, it will overall always be a bull market.

Net Worth = 0.10    Hah, "Net" worth Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: