Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:26:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mandatory transaction fees  (Read 790 times)
BCwinning (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:48:08 PM

Last time I played with bitcoin it was possible to send btc without paying a fee.
Why does the new qt client refuse to send a transaction without tacking a fee on?
Or am I missing how I can send a buck or three to someone without using command line and spending a day on google learning how to do it and not paying fees.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
piotr_n
Legendary

Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 05:29:27 PM

Whether it allows you to send a tx with no fee, depends on how many BTC you want to send (the more, the better) and when you received the coins that you are spending (the sooner, then better).

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
PGP fingerprint: AB9E A551 E262 A87A 13BB  9059 1BE7 B545 CDF3 FD0E
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 05:31:24 PM

Whether it allows you to send a tx with no fee, depends on how many BTC you want to send (the more, the better) and when you received the coins that you are spending (the sooner, then better).

I though "old coins" have a higher priority. So "the sooner, the beter" would be the other way around. Did I get that part wrong?

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 05:32:40 PM

I though "old coins" have a higher priority. So "the sooner, the beter" would be the other way around. Did I get that part wrong?
I meant: the sooner you received them - then older they are Smiley

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 05:37:02 PM

The sooner you received them - then older they are Smiley

Oh, yes that makes sense. Thanks!

BTT: you can also use a modified version of bitcoin core to send bitcoins without fee, but that might result in problems.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=22434.0

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
BCwinning (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:14:05 PM

right I get that part. although I sent .4 recently and pretty sure
I was forced into clicking ok for a fee on that as well. Thought the limit was lower but not the real point..
Where is the easy option to send a 5 dollar donation without getting hit with a tx fee using the QT client?

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:23:47 PM

Last time I played with bitcoin it was possible to send btc without paying a fee.
Why does the new qt client refuse to send a transaction without tacking a fee on?
Or am I missing how I can send a buck or three to someone without using command line and spending a day on google learning how to do it and not paying fees.

Don't forget that you can compile the software yourself and remove any mandatory fees the client wants you to use.  You can also manually generate a transaction with any number of libraries/wallets etc.   The main thing that you risk (which I think you know) is that your transaction never gets confirmed.  However, if you're not ready to use a command line or read things, you might be out of luck.
piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 06:26:17 PM

Where is the easy option to send a 5 dollar donation without getting hit with a tx fee using the QT client?
Use a bitcoin wallet which does not enforce a fee.

There is a mod of bitcoin-qt, which does not enforce a fee: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=22434.0 (never tried it)

But there are also other bitcoin wallets that don't treat you like they were Apple and you were an iPhone user.

It may take much longer for your tx to confirm, but since its a donation I guess you don't care.
In any case make a backup of your wallet.dat before sending, because if the tx gets stuck, it may lock your change amount.

BCwinning (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 07:32:11 PM

Use a bitcoin wallet which does not enforce a fee.

There is a mod of bitcoin-qt, which does not enforce a fee: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=22434.0 (never tried it)

But there are also other bitcoin wallets that don't treat you like they were Apple and you were an iPhone user.

It may take much longer for your tx to confirm, but since its a donation I guess you don't care.
In any case make a backup of your wallet.dat before sending, because if the tx gets stuck, it may lock your change amount.
yea and that is just crazy that a person needs to go through all that.
What was wrong with the old way? was there really a need to micromanage fee enforcement without jumping through hoops?
Sure I'm ok with the confirmation taking 48 hrs if needed or longer. I'm ok paying fees as well, to speed up confirms etc.
I saw the fork wallet, I just don't want "dust" lost in the ether. I don't go around throwing pennies on the street as it is.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 12:40:44 AM

right I get that part. although I sent .4 recently and pretty sure
I was forced into clicking ok for a fee on that as well. Thought the limit was lower but not the real point..

Wait longer.  

High priority tx = priority > 57,600,000.  That is roughly one bitcoin day.  If you receive one bitcoin and wait one day you can "spend" some or all of it without waiting.

Low priority txs = Everything else.   Even if you change your client, by default other clients will refuse to relay tx which are low priority and do no meet the min fee requirements.   So understand the client is just preventing you from doing something which would result in coins being "stuck" for days or potentially forever because it won't let you create what it knows it and other clients won't relay.
What was wrong with the old way?

There is no "old way".  It has always worked this way.  In the past you likely had larger value and older outputs ("coins") and thus could optionally send without a fee as a high priority txs.   Nothing has changed other than the min fee has been reduced a couple times, and some other restrictions have been removed (not added).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: