Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:28:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How far will this action drive the price of bitcoin, in the month of June 2014?
600-650
650-750
750-900
900-1500
It'll Do Nothing

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Expedia Starts Accepting Bitcoin for Hotel Bookings  (Read 4781 times)
d2dtk (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 09:44:09 PM
Last edit: June 11, 2014, 10:35:05 PM by d2dtk

Expedia, the big online travel site, announced on Wednesday it will begin accepting bitcoin for hotel bookings through its website.

Thus it is becoming the first major travel-agency to take the digital currency.

If the reception is good, the company said it expects to bring bitcoin to its other service lines as well.

Expedia is the latest big-name retailer to embrace bitcoin. Overstock.com started accepting it in January, and the Chicago Sun-Times began accepting it in April. Dish Network announced in May that it would start accepting bitcoin. There are other travel-related services out there that take bitcoin, some smaller individual travel agencies and 9Flats, an online apartment rental site. CheapAir.com began accepting it in November. But none have the size or exposure of Expedia, which bills itself as the world’s largest full-service travel site.

Don't tell me this isn't great news!  Grin  Grin  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fdiini

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 10:50:50 PM

It is great news, but that doesn't mean price will go up.
d2dtk (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 11:48:38 PM

It is great news, but that doesn't mean price will go up.

It's my hope that by them accepting it that other major players will follow suit adding to bitcoins growth and adoption.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 12:23:32 AM

What's the time scale of the poll? I don't think it'll do much or anything in the short term. Long term it adds a nice foundation to the launchpad.
ABitNut

Activity: 764
Merit: 500

I'm a cynic, I'm a quaint

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 12:47:40 AM

It really does seem that the spread of Bitcoin is continuing. Very encouraging.
jamesc760

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 01:21:44 AM

So, bad news causes price to drop but good news doesn't cause price to rise??? What kind of investment is btc???
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 01:23:35 AM

A proper weird one.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 01:24:18 AM

So, bad news causes price to drop but good news doesn't cause price to rise??? What kind of investment is btc???

It will take a little time for it to sink in and show up in the price. We have had such a run of good news lately that it doesn't have as dramatic an impact.

d2dtk (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 05:57:41 AM

Time frame for the poll is for this month.

MysticalPotato

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

Stop the potato genocide!

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 07:39:39 AM

Expedia, the big online travel site, announced on Wednesday it will begin accepting bitcoin for hotel bookings through its website.

If the reception is good, the company said it expects to bring bitcoin to its other service lines as well.

Expedia is the latest big-name retailer to embrace bitcoin. Overstock.com started accepting it in January, and the Chicago Sun-Times began accepting it in April. Dish Network announced in May that it would start accepting bitcoin. There are other travel-related services out there that take bitcoin, some smaller individual travel agencies and 9Flats, an online apartment rental site. CheapAir.com began accepting it in November. But none have the size or exposure of Expedia, which bills itself as the world’s largest full-service travel site.

Don't tell me this isn't great news!  Grin  Grin  Grin

Unfortunately, it isn't.
Walk-in rates at hotels and direct airline and vehicle bookings are almost always cheaper than booking through sites like Expedia.
Frequent travelers rarely use Expedia. In fact, first-time users are usually crestfallen once they see the prices when checking in at hotels.
There is a reason why Expedia, Orbitz, Agoda, etc are all struggling - they do not have the volume to negotiate larger deals within the very fragmented travel and tourism industries.

"Politeness induces morality. Serenity of manners requires serenity of mind.” - Julia Ward Howe

Signature space available for a worthy cause
Gianluca95
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1196

Reputation first.

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 08:06:36 AM

650-750$ Is the right price because the news that Expedia accepts Bitcoin is a little part of BIG news (Ebay will start accepting Bitcoin in the next future, and Microsoft studing it now) !

█████████████████████████████
███▀█████████████████████▀███
███  ▀▀███████████████▀▀  ███
███     ████▀▀ ▀▀████     ███
███     ██▀       ▀██     ███
███     ██         ██     ███
███     ██▄       ▄██     ███
███     ████▄▄ ▄▄████     ███
███  ▄▄███████████████▄▄  ███
███▄█████████████████████▄███
.Mixin Safe.

▄███████▄     
██▀   ▀██
             ▄███████▄
██▄   ▄██             ██▀   ▀██
▀███████▀             ██▄   ▄██
   ███     ▄███████▄  ▀███████▀
   ███▀▀   ██▀   ▀██     ███
   █████   ██▄   ▄██     ███▀▀
   ▀▀▀     ▀███████▀     █████
              ███        ▀▀▀
              ███▀▀
              █████
              ▀▀▀
2/3 Multisig Decentralized
Bitcoin Custody Solutions
💎
💪
🔓
CONFIDENT
RELIABLE
RECOVERABLE
..GET STARTED..
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 08:33:01 AM

650-750$ Is the right price because the news that Expedia accepts Bitcoin is a little part of BIG news (Ebay will start accepting Bitcoin in the next future, and Microsoft studing it now) !

I think even higher but time will tell. BTC is definitely currently undervalued.

Bogleg

Activity: 185

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 07:02:21 PM

Won't be long before other travel agency starts accepting bitcoin also.
Benjig

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 07:55:34 PM
Last edit: July 17, 2014, 06:44:35 PM by Benjig

Roll in           ~ Rollin.io ~ 1% House edge
 AND TRY OUT OUR NEW DICE GAME                                                                Instant play
JessyMatt

Activity: 191

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 08:06:21 PM

I reported that already: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649203.0. Bitcoin value went down by $40 on that news!

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
d2dtk (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 11:47:24 PM

I reported that already: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649203.0. Bitcoin value went down by $40 on that news!

You and I reported it on the same day however mine was at 2pm PST and yours at 11PM PST

As for your second link all it did was take us to bitcoinvalues.net nothing showing that you predicted it going down $40

ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 02:49:57 AM

Nice new, that and the dish accepting bitcoins but actually the price is going down currently   Tongue

The price of BTC will likely not react instantly to new companies accepting bitcoin, but it would rather be a long term positive effect as over time more people will be inclined to purchase (and use) bitcoin.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 03:05:54 AM

Don't tell me this isn't great news!  Grin  Grin  Grin

Unfortunately, it isn't.
Walk-in rates at hotels and direct airline and vehicle bookings are almost always cheaper than booking through sites like Expedia.
Frequent travelers rarely use Expedia. In fact, first-time users are usually crestfallen once they see the prices when checking in at hotels.
There is a reason why Expedia, Orbitz, Agoda, etc are all struggling - they do not have the volume to negotiate larger deals within the very fragmented travel and tourism industries.
This is against my pre-conceived notion, so I'll give it a try. I have a particular hotel in the middle of nowhere I'm interested in. It's $90/night (after taxes/fees) online booking a bit over a month in advance. There's nothing I know of going on there on the date I've planned, so I'll try getting a room later at night on the day we go there to see what kind of deal they can do. If I can come in at <$75 for the room, I'll become a true walk-in believer.

There's a good bit of irony here since I would've booked through Expedia before reading this. Grin
ABitNut

Activity: 764
Merit: 500

I'm a cynic, I'm a quaint

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 03:41:25 AM

Don't tell me this isn't great news!  Grin  Grin  Grin

Unfortunately, it isn't.
This is against my pre-conceived notion, so I'll give it a try. I have a particular hotel in the middle of nowhere I'm interested in. It's $90/night (after taxes/fees) online booking a bit over a month in advance. There's nothing I know of going on there on the date I've planned, so I'll try getting a room later at night on the day we go there to see what kind of deal they can do. If I can come in at <$75 for the room, I'll become a true walk-in believer.

There's a good bit of irony here since I would've booked through Expedia before reading this. Grin

I'd be interested in your findings. I believe hotels have a special "rack rate" for walk ins. And it's higher than pre-booking.

I did find that a local travel agent (small business) consistently gets me rates equal to or lower than expedia and agoda.
snarlpill

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 03:44:31 AM

I definitely don't think this will have any specific effect on BTC price changing. However though, more and more big name companies are starting to accept Bitcoin payments every single day it seems. And this is great news overall. So by itself no huge price jump, but as a smaller part of the big picture snowball effect, it will help in the long-run.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: