Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:55:03 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How far will this action drive the price of bitcoin, in the month of June 2014?
600-650
650-750
750-900
900-1500
It'll Do Nothing

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Expedia Starts Accepting Bitcoin for Hotel Bookings  (Read 4784 times)
scarsbergholden

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 04:05:29 AM

I can't imagine but a relatively small team is involved with the bitcoin process (from Expedia). Don't they process through Bitpay or something?

am

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 11:02:54 AM

This reminds me of how travel became the first real category (excluding media) where folks were willing to use the Internet to pay for something tangible. It could definitely have a positive effect on the adoption but then again, we will need to wait for others to follow suit before we can judge.
NapoleonBonaparte

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:36:21 PM

I can't imagine but a relatively small team is involved with the bitcoin process (from Expedia). Don't they process through Bitpay or something?

Have to be either bitpay or coinbase.
d2dtk (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:43:41 PM

If Expedia is smart and a tad risky they would hold those coins and profit from it later on down the road.

scarsbergholden

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:56:28 PM

If Expedia is smart and a tad risky they would hold those coins and profit from it later on down the road.

No way is any company of scale going to keep 100%, and I'd be surprised at > 1%. BTC economy is tiny, and these companies have real fiat overhead to be concerned with. They are not investors, IMO.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 06:01:33 PM
Last edit: June 17, 2014, 06:14:47 PM by RodeoX

I'm buying some tickets for the mid-east (Jordan) later this week, maybe I'll try these guys out and see what kind of price I can get?

QUOTE FROM BELOW:
I think it's hotels only for now.

Aww, that's the least useful part of their service.  Undecided

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 06:05:11 PM

skivrmt

Activity: 994

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:27:14 PM

I'm buying some tickets for the mid-east (Jordan) later this week, maybe I'll try these guys out and see what kind of price I can get?

QUOTE FROM BELOW:

It's basically the only part they make money on.  I think they -might- get $5 per plane ticket, some none.  Same with car rentals.  Hotels they have deals with the sites to get a nice spread on -some- of the hotels, some no spread whatsoever.  Thin margin business for sure.
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 08:11:08 PM

QUOTE FROM BELOW:

It's basically the only part they make money on.  I think they -might- get $5 per plane ticket, some none.  Same with car rentals.  Hotels they have deals with the sites to get a nice spread on -some- of the hotels, some no spread whatsoever.  Thin margin business for sure.

Ah, that makes sense. Frankly, since google flights I never use anything else for air tickets. I consistently find crazy low prices via google flights. 

d2dtk (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 07:42:33 AM

I never heard of Google flights. They need to get on the ball like Expedia and accept my btc!

RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:44:32 PM

I never heard of Google flights. They need to get on the ball like Expedia and accept my btc!
You should check it out. It's amazing. However they do not sell tickets. They do what Google does best, they just show where the best price is.

https://www.google.com/flights/

Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 06:28:51 PM

You should check it out. It's amazing. However they do not sell tickets. They do what Google does best, they just show where the best price is.

Wow, this is awesome. Thanks for sharing. This has a much better search and interface than any other similar service I have used. Thumbs up! Cheesy
DavidHume

Activity: 235
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 07:37:59 PM

Wow, this is awesome. Thanks for sharing. This has a much better search and interface than any other similar service I have used. Thumbs up! Cheesy

That will kill off a lot of airline and travel agency.

ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 07:19:40 AM

I believe that these prices are if you were to buy directly from the airline. With a travel agency you buy from the agency who buys from the airline, and the airline may have special/different prices for travel agencies.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 12:12:29 AM

It's been around a good few years, but Google has an odd tendency to not advertise its services except on its own services (commitment to "eating your own dog food" dogma, I guess), so a good few people miss their sometimes goofy, sometimes "killer app" projects. When I was first introduced to GFlights by word-of-mouth, I believe I was told it's actually based on an older open-source project with a name I can't remember but which is almost as effective (still better than searching flights with "normal" third-party agencies). Of course, Google's the company which hides boat-loads of games and easter eggs in all their products (GMaps, GTranslate, new ones for each major update of Android, YT, and their primary web search engine all have a good few)... they just seem to like to hide things away and have it be kind of mysterious when consumers stumble over them.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:19:39 AM

But still they could increase their margin with Bitcoins. For example, Bitpay charges only 1% where Visa / Master charges 2.8%. So even for flight bookings they could make significant profits if they use Bitcoin.
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 07:53:53 PM

But still they could increase their margin with Bitcoins. For example, Bitpay charges only 1% where Visa / Master charges 2.8%. So even for flight bookings they could make significant profits if they use Bitcoin.

They would also no longer have to deal with fraud related issues with are almost certainly above 3%

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
leezay

Activity: 363
Merit: 100

SWISSREALCOIN - FIRST REAL ESTATE CRYPTO TOKEN

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 02:01:28 PM

Newegg is joining the bandwagon.

DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 03:43:47 AM

They would also no longer have to deal with fraud related issues with are almost certainly above 3%
The fraud related issues would be costs in addition to the ~3% that credit card companies charge

This spot for rent.
d2dtk (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 06:57:13 AM

Newegg is joining the bandwagon.

I believe Newegg had been on the Wagon for some time now. Expedia I'm sure has had enough with visa taking their profits and will soon flip the switch to allow all their services to be paid via bitcoin.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: