Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:03:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm a little skeptical of BTC at the moment, thinking of dropping out again.  (Read 2798 times)
skottiejay (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 110

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 04:32:54 AM

I did this in 2011, only because I couldn't see the ROI and I didn't have the resources available to me to make any money off of it. With the difficulty of earning so high, and the inability to get any kind of return out of it right now, I don't know what to think. I have a Dell. It has an integrated card. I know GPU's are a thing of the past, asic's and what not are the new IN. I just don't know if this is worth it in the long run, call me crazy. I just don't think I know enough about BTC and how the markets work to actually risk money I don't have on something that may or may not dive or explode. I don't really know what to do or think about this because the last time I left, BTC was only $14, now it's over $600. I watched it dive and fall a few times over the next couple of years, then I saw it was up towards $1000 bucks. Maybe it was the "I need money now" in me that made me come back, I don't know.

I'm openly willing to admit that I'm in this for alternative reasons, I need a place to live, a car, and enough money to move somewhere until I get a job. I can't do that with the current hardware I have. It's impossible. If I were to mine I doubt I would make enough bitcoin to buy a coffee.

I wish the difficulty would come down at least a little, just enough to make it easier for people who are coming back or newbies. Because a lot of newbies are younger folk who don't know the history, or maybe they've been watching and haven't wanted to make the dive til now. Why should all of the early adopters be able to just hold on to 20k worth of bitcoin or whatever and not help contribute to the cause? Why shouldn't everyone have a little piece of the pie. Yeah, I've got a roof over my head, I've got a computer, but that's ALL I've got right now. I can't afford to eat more than ramen, I can't afford to drive a fancy car, or drive an hour to find a job (I live in the deep south jobs are nowhere in town, and even the trip in town is like a 30 minute drive).

Someone help me not be skeptical because I don't want to miss being a part of this, I like the forums. I like being a part of  the community, but I'm really getting to the point where I need this money now, I need a couple BTC's to tuck away so that I can have some kind of future and get to a place that my life at 33 isn't just misery.

What else could I say?
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:42:36 AM

sorry but it's your responsibility to decide for yourself.. you know how people around here feel about bitcoin, but ultimately whether you swim or not is up to you; especially if it goes down south, you might end up blaming them.
skottiejay (OP)

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 04:51:17 AM

But I'm not looking to blame anybody for anything, that's the point. I don't fault people who are early adopters, that's great I'm happy you have a little security and future, but if I'm trying to get my little piece and I can't because the difficulty is so high and everything is moving and phasing out so fast how is that my fault? I don't have time in the day to look over extensive charts and predict whether or not is profitable to get BTC nor do I have the time really to mine.

I'm just saying, the difficulty should come down, it's ridiculously too high.

What else could I say?
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:53:39 AM

Mining went out of fashion (if you were looking to make a reasonable profit) like a year back from now - it's become ridiculously hard to get into the game and the electricity overheads and upfront costs don't really help. I would advise you not to get into BTC unless you're trading disposable  cash and not your life savings. There is a reasonable probability that we nose-dive so if you can't deal with the losses (it sounds like you're having trouble as it is) don't invest in BTC or mining equipment. Get your cash flow in order first.
beetcoin

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:54:04 AM

But I'm not looking to blame anybody for anything, that's the point. I don't fault people who are early adopters, that's great I'm happy you have a little security and future, but if I'm trying to get my little piece and I can't because the difficulty is so high and everything is moving and phasing out so fast how is that my fault? I don't have time in the day to look over extensive charts and predict whether or not is profitable to get BTC nor do I have the time really to mine.

maybe just sell your hardware and then buy some bitcoin then?
beatljuice

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:56:06 AM

It doesn't sound like you should be investing anything in Bitcoin.

My suggestion is to make your own job. If you can get $50 together buy a squeegee, some rags, a window cleaning bucket and some window cleaner and walk (or drive if you can) to strip malls and offer to clean the windows of businesses for $20-25 each. Most of them will turn you down, but if you ask 20-25 businesses you'll get 4-6 jobs and make $100+

First off, make sure you know how to get a window clean. Practice on a few before you start. Or, better yet, tell the first few businesses you'll do it for $5 if you can practice on their windows. They will appreciate your attitude.

There are many other things you can do for money. If you like working on computers you can design Web pages for people on Fiverr.com. Or if you're good with English offer editing skills. You can also find good deals at garage sales to sell on eBay (or better yet https://cryptothrift.com/)

I know things are hard but quit whining and make yourself useful. Useful people become indispensable, and indispensable people can demand good money. Things will get better.
cr4sh0verride

Activity: 189

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:58:15 AM

If your motivation is to make high returns on your investments in short periods then it's always going to be a gamble

You said and I quote

I just don't think I know enough about BTC and how the markets work to actually risk money I don't have on something that may or may not dive or explode. I don't really know what to do or think about this because the last time I left, BTC was only $14, now it's over $600. I watched it dive and fall a few times over the next couple of years, then I saw it was up towards $1000 bucks. Maybe it was the "I need money now" in me that made me come back, I don't know.

There is plenty of information in these forums/on the internet to make very safe decisions when investing in Bitcoin

#1 Rule would be not to invest any money you're not willing to part with

Sounds to me though you may have problems with other finances and if you're looking at BTC to be the miracle cure to get you out of those problems you're going to have a bad time I think
beetcoin

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 05:03:49 AM

it's really frustrating being poor, and it's really frustrating not knowing how to eradicate it, but before that.. you might need to stop making yourself a victim of bitcoin.
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 05:12:47 AM

I read your OP twice and I still could not grasp what you are dropping out of? Mining or bitcoin in general? You said you need some bitcoin tucked away to secure some future. In fact you don't. From what you said, you need cash now to pay your bills. Saving bitcoin for the future is not going to help your current crisis, neither would mining.

Let your sig campaign deal with saving bitcoin for the future. You need to find anything that pays. Do not waste time on mining, it is not what you need right now.
stokecrypto

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 05:25:47 AM

why not just sell half and hold the other half. you have the best of both worlds then.

few quid in the back burner and some bitcoin to hold if it ever sky rockets.

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 06:13:59 AM

As someone above stated hold on to what you get from your signature campaign and get the rest of your life in order. This isn't an either or proposition. Bit coin will not fix the immediate issues you are having but that doesn't mean you have to completely give up on it.

Cranky4u

Activity: 810
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 06:24:55 AM

Pack your bags and move to were the work is, it is not as unusual as you may think. People from all across the social spectrum do it all the time. Labours move to mining towns to work hard, earn cash and go home. Professionals work long hours were ever the company needs them, not usually in the same location for more than 6 to 12 months. Contractors follow the dollar or BTC.

Expand the limits of your wealth creation system to beyond the region you reside in and expand it to include the entire world. Now you have a huge list of potentials to explore.

Do not limit yourself to thinking about a standard of living that is considered high in your current country. For an American, try South East Asia for 12 months were you can live like a king on $100 a week. If you are in Asia, try language skills in Europe. If your Euopean, try oil & gas in Russia.

Get my vibe with your situation? Only you can turn it around...

As for BTC, it will operate beyond your wishful thinking. Price will continue to jump in leaps as the demad outstrips supply. Difficulty will continue to rise in line with more miners being implemented.

Overall, get a plan and give it a go!

maurya78

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 06:26:42 AM

Best to have a plan than none at all
BTC and your life are separate issues. Compartmentalise and address each issue individually.
Good luck!

skottiejay (OP)

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 05:24:27 PM

it's really frustrating being poor, and it's really frustrating not knowing how to eradicate it, but before that.. you might need to stop making yourself a victim of bitcoin.

I'm not making myself a victim of bitcoin, that's not the issue. I just don't see the point, it's so ridiculously hard now to get any at all aside from the tiny jobs and sig campaigns that it's stupid. It should be easier than this, it should be more fair. I'm not going to gamble what I have, that's for sure.

As someone above stated hold on to what you get from your signature campaign and get the rest of your life in order. This isn't an either or proposition. Bit coin will not fix the immediate issues you are having but that doesn't mean you have to completely give up on it.

BTC won't fix it, but it will certainly help in the immediate future for security reasons. It would give me time to look for a job somewhere, so I don't have to worry about what my next move will be.

You guys I can't fix what's wrong right now because I don't have the resources, the resources aren't coming in because that would require getting a job, I can't get a job because their are none where I'm at and I'm helping my mother who's fighting cancer, not even the local Walmart's is hiring. I need to move back home to find any kind of work, I'm in the south USA and I need to move back to the East. That's the problem, I'm stuck in a continuous loop, I can't leave my mom right now because she's only halfway through treatments and each one is getting harder on her. I help around the house letting her dogs out, cleaning up, mowing her lawn, I'm doing the best I can. Once she's done with the chemo treatments I'm going to be moving on, she knows this and agrees it's time. But until then I NEED security, or some kind of secure background. It's just for my own well being otherwise I'll end up homeless or on the streets. My family does not understand my situation, that's the bottom line.

What else could I say?
beetcoin

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 05:50:45 PM

^ you seem to think of yourself as someone who is entitled to bitcoin.. while putting relatively little effort, and now you are complaining how it's so not easy.. you seem like someone who have a victim mentality, at least to me.
skottiejay (OP)

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 05:59:20 PM

^ you seem to think of yourself as someone who is entitled to bitcoin.. while putting relatively little effort, and now you are complaining how it's so not easy.. you seem like someone who have a victim mentality, at least to me.

I don't think I'm entitled to anything I don't know where that is coming from, I don't think I'm a victim.

What else could I say?
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 06:03:49 PM

So basicly, you made alot of bad decisions (not upgrading your mining hardware, running away on first large drop you encountered etc.) and your asking us for help? With all i read from you i'd advise: "Make your decision, and han do exactly oposite"  Grin

For real...you'r bad at this...you eather, buy (or hold what you have now) and leave it be for year or two....as your decision making isnt strongest thing you have.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4487

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 06:05:06 PM

you sem to be narrow minded about bitcoin. and only thinking that bitcoin is about mining.

if you cannot be in th mining game. much like people that gave up gold mining when pickaxes were obsolete.. they didnt just commit suicide. they looked at what other methods there are to get bitcoin.

open a web shop selling products for bitcoin

become a local exchange in your town to make a 1-5% spot commision per transaction.

do other jobs around the community where you are paid in bitcoin. but if all you are going to do is pop back every couple years, mine for a bit and then run off. then you will realise in 10 years that you WERE an early fosterer.. (temporary adoptor) and you just gave up to early.

keep that in mind

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 06:11:12 PM

lots of great advice here.

no point in thinking "mining SHOULD be easier"...anymore than thinking sky should be green
cause i dont like blue...

nothing is going to change, in fact, mining will get harder.

find a way to earn extra cash...buy what you can and hold it.
where there's a will theres a way.

ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 06:27:34 PM
Last edit: June 12, 2014, 07:21:07 PM by ChuckBuck

Sorry to hear about your troubles OP, but if earning BTC were easy, everyone would be doing it.

Bitcoiners around the world probably number in the single digit millions.  There are over 7 billion people in the world.  Think about that adoption rate for a second.  We're still in the early adopter phase, believe it or not.

Forget about mining for now, since you don't have the funds, you should be approaching other avenues to earn Bitcoins.

Provide a service, sell some goods, give advice in your town.  Accept all payments in BTC.  Maybe start an Indiegogo for your situation, but in Bitcoins.

Don't shrug off the sig campaigns either.  If you join and post enough, you can earn hundreds of dollars worth of BTC just doing what you normally do here.

There's several ways to go about this, but you'll have to get creative.

Don't give up dude.

Chuck

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████