Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 08:13:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New 400 BTC Bounty Pales Roger Ver's 37.6 BTC Bounty for Return of Stolen BTC  (Read 18345 times)
snarlpill

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 05:15:19 AM

Posting so that I have this thread in my "new replies to your last posts" list so I can remember to follow along daily with your journey to be made whole again.

Also, I really wish I was some epic Black Hat and could get in, get your BTC back, and massively fuck/deface that shady Instawallet system. Good luck to you Phin. I may not be that person, but I'm hoping you already have a few people that do have those capabilities following along with it. A 400 BTC bounty will definitely turn heads and grab some headlines.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 05:18:09 AM

Thanks, guys. You seem to have done more in hours what davout claims to have taken him a couple days, and he's running an exchange. That's a scary thought.

we're not doing the same thing - we're trying to look for addresses that could match your original deposit given the information you provided while davout was recursively looking for all addresses generated by Instawallet. Hopefully both approaches will meet at some point, and even better there'll be a way to verify that you actually were the owner of the address (still blurry there, but at least you'll get a starting point)

I also hold the secret hope that a graph oriented database will be faster than a recursive loop, but that's out of the scope of your current issues  Grin

It would help if you could somehow recognize your original address from the list of addresses posted above, but that might not be very realistic.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for davout to the independent auditor outta his ass.

what are you going to do with this information once you get it ?

Of course, none of the wallet IDs look familiar, for the info wasn't retained. Hell, I have a main address on blockchain.info I've used frequently, but couldn't tell you the first character after the one. And to thinks, back in the mid 80s to early 90s, I could easily retain 100 phone numbers sans writing them down simply by visualizing them to the name, or some characteristic of the person it was associated with. Or, give me an address and only a couple reference streets within a city I've never been to before, and I could find the place without looking at map.

In re. the auditor. For starters, it would prove that David was telling the truth that there was an auditor. Then, possibly it can be confirmed that there was a "hack" from some source outside of Paymium. Finally, we will learn if it was tampered with.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 05:22:42 AM

Another genuinely naive question, of course you have no way to contact the guy to see if he had logs of his own ?

No I don't, for it was a Craigslist ad. To this day I've always had a feeling that it was Jeff Ownby of BFL, but not 100% certain of that. I wish it was, for it would make this episode a tad easier.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 05:26:12 AM

Posting so that I have this thread in my "new replies to your last posts" list so I can remember to follow along daily with your journey to be made whole again.

Also, I really wish I was some epic Black Hat and could get in, get your BTC back, and massively fuck/deface that shady Instawallet system. Good luck to you Phin. I may not be that person, but I'm hoping you already have a few people that do have those capabilities following along with it. A 400 BTC bounty will definitely turn heads and grab some headlines.

That was my intent, albeit the 400 BTC bounty was not a ruse, hence offering up escrow via Rassah. I just don't want this to be a total lost, with somehow, someway keeping as many future scammers at bay.
GrandpaTime

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 05:30:27 AM

The wallet that contained the 0.835 bitcoins, which was returned to you, must have a deposit address which was used to fund it. Could this address then be used to locate to larger original deposit?
btchip

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 05:35:45 AM

In re. the auditor. For starters, it would prove that David was telling the truth that there was an auditor. Then, possibly it can be confirmed that there was a "hack" from some source outside of Paymium. Finally, we will learn if it was tampered with.

my point is that the auditor is not supposed to tell you anything, especially when there's a police investigation ongoing. So in the end, that information would be useless, you wouldn't even know if it's true or false.

Another genuinely naive question, of course you have no way to contact the guy to see if he had logs of his own ?

No I don't, for it was a Craigslist ad. To this day I've always had a feeling that it was Jeff Ownby of BFL, but not 100% certain of that. I wish it was, for it would make this episode a tad easier.

and the story a little bit better, I didn't expect that to be even possible to be honest.

mindset

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 05:49:10 AM

They were purchased anonymously at a restaurant halfway between Sandwich, IL, and Chicago, in Naperville, IL, about the second week of December, 2012. Taxing my memory, the total was 1,132 + x(single digit).xxx... and immediately put in a freshly created InstaWallet bitcoin wallet. A couple/three days later I split the three accounts up into 1,000, 132, and x.xxx... wallets, always using InstaWallet while in my possession. Hope that helps with your plans.

Did the anonymous seller generously offer a wi-fi hotspot for you to use to complete the transfer? Perhaps suggesting DNS changes when you had trouble connecting to the wi-fi hotspot?
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 06:08:23 AM

In the spirit of the above, Brock Pierce suggested to the person who had their bitcoins stolen to mound a similar campaign, thus amassing the troops, so to speak, so that at least one person could reap the reward when the stolen bitcoins are returned....

Brock Pierce made a general statement intended for anyone who lost a large amount or you talk(ed) with him directly?

btchip

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 06:11:52 AM

They were purchased anonymously at a restaurant halfway between Sandwich, IL, and Chicago, in Naperville, IL, about the second week of December, 2012. Taxing my memory, the total was 1,132 + x(single digit).xxx... and immediately put in a freshly created InstaWallet bitcoin wallet. A couple/three days later I split the three accounts up into 1,000, 132, and x.xxx... wallets, always using InstaWallet while in my possession. Hope that helps with your plans.

Did the anonymous seller generously offer a wi-fi hotspot for you to use to complete the transfer? Perhaps suggesting DNS changes when you had trouble connecting to the wi-fi hotspot?

I believe Phinnaeus verified at least once with blockchain.info that it was there at some point in the past.

So once the origin deposit address is found

- Either Instawallet internal logs can be accessed, and it should be easy to trace when this was split then emptied.

- Either Instawallet internal logs cannot be accessed, and Phinnaeus should get access to them with minimal lawyer time involved given this information.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 06:28:41 AM

The wallet that contained the 0.835 bitcoins, which was returned to you, must have a deposit address which was used to fund it. Could this address then be used to locate to larger original deposit?

No. That one was first funded via a different means sometime in February if I'm not mistaken.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 06:35:29 AM

my point is that the auditor is not supposed to tell you anything, especially when there's a police investigation ongoing. So in the end, that information would be useless, you wouldn't even know if it's true or false.

and the story a little bit better, I didn't expect that to be even possible to be honest.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2009/11/prweb3164764.htm

The Barn intends to program a series of live music events in this mold for years to come. “We can already feel the buzz around this first event, which will hopefully spillover into 2010 and beyond," said The Barn's Manager Jeff Ownby. “We're La Grange residents and it’s obvious to us why this community would embrace a top-quality nightlife option aimed at adults.”
GrandpaTime

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 06:41:59 AM

No. That one was first funded via a different means sometime in February if I'm not mistaken.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Besides the split a few days after the deposit, were there any later minor transfers to or from the wallets in question between the time of their funding and the "hack"? Or did they remain undisturbed until that time?
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 06:44:32 AM

This is where it took place: 1191 East Ogden Avenue
Naperville, IL 60563
Ogden Mall‎
(630) 548-5070
panerabread.com‎

In the parking lot. I had a good signal in the parking lot prior to his (John, a generic name I just assumed he made up) arrival probably less than 5 minutes later. I now do recall he drove a red pickup, remembering such because my truck is red (same truck I own today). I'm almost certain his was a later model, but didn't register the make, e.g. Ford, Chevy, etc., but it was full size, and no crew cab like mine.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 06:45:55 AM

In the spirit of the above, Brock Pierce suggested to the person who had their bitcoins stolen to mound a similar campaign, thus amassing the troops, so to speak, so that at least one person could reap the reward when the stolen bitcoins are returned....

Brock Pierce made a general statement intended for anyone who lost a large amount or you talk(ed) with him directly?

Directly over the phone. He called me.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 06:57:15 AM

Awesome.... I was away (most of the time) for a few days. Is there already a thread about your talk?
I'm curious if you have a different view about him now? Certainly, talking is one thing he is really good at.  Smiley

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 06:57:18 AM

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Besides the split a few days after the deposit, were there any later minor transfers to or from the wallets in question between the time of their funding and the "hack"? Or did they remain undisturbed until that time?

None, but I now do recall that since I moved them a couple time, I believe a miner fee was deducted, thus the wallet amounts WON't be exactly 1,000 BTC and 132 BTC. Also, there's a very slight chance that the lesser wallet may have been 123 BTC, but in no way am I trying to get what I don't deserve. For the longest time, I stated such in the IW claims thread, opting for the lower amount to be fair, but change to the higher amount because I honestly believe that it was 132 and not 123, only after I got sick of the runaround.

Forgive for forgetting all about the miner fees. I just keep the whole numbers in my head spacing that aspect out. I do recall that the first time the fee was only pennies, but was taken aback some subsequent transfer when I noticed it was several dollars, but not double digits, but didn't sweat it.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 07:05:28 AM

Awesome.... I was away (most of the time) for a few days. Is there already a thread about your talk?
I'm curious if you have a different view about him now? Certainly, talking is one thing he is really good at.  Smiley

No there is not. I was thinking about penning one, but changed my mind and was busy on some other tangent. He offered to meetup with me in Chicago during the upcoming conference.

He's takes controls of the conversation, akin to what have you see him on video, and very sure of himself, neither of which are bad attributes. The only time he seemed off-guard was when I asked him if he was bisexual. He kindly quickly replied with a no, but when I mentioned a name and witness, his response took longer and distant, but was still a negative, but in a different tone. Something you pick up if you're a poker player like I am.

I sincerely wanted to believe him, just like I wish I could believe Josh of BFL when I met him, but things just don't add up during and after said conversations.

There's more, but I'm not trying to be elusive here by not bringing it up, but did want to give you some sort of reply since you asked.
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 07:20:29 AM

Gotta say it's nice to see you going after these scammsters.  Can't speak for everybody else but it makes me feel a little bit better about the coins I've lost to schamsters like this knowing that at least some of them might have to face some sort of music!  I'm keeping my long list of scammers as well and hope to one day be able to do something similar when I can afford it.

Best of luck Phinnaeus.  I hope you get some resolution on this issue.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 07:22:18 AM

No there is not. I was thinking about penning one, but changed my mind and was busy on some other tangent. He offered to meetup with me in Chicago during the upcoming conference.

He's takes controls of the conversation, akin to what have you see him on video, and very sure of himself, neither of which are bad attributes. The only time he seemed off-guard was when I asked him if he was bisexual. He kindly quickly replied with a no, but when I mentioned a name and witness, his response took longer and distant, but was still a negative, but in a different tone. Something you pick up if you're a poker player like I am.

I sincerely wanted to believe him, just like I wish I could believe Josh of BFL when I met him, but things just don't add up during and after said conversations.

There's more, but I'm not trying to be elusive here by not bringing it up, but did want to give you some sort of reply since you asked.

Thanks for the updates, and good luck with the coin recovery/bounty.

Nicolas Dorier

Activity: 714
Merit: 661

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 09:12:20 AM

It's better than any cyber detective crime novel.  Shocked
I used the wrong amount of BTC (1132) in my last dump.
Here is for 132.

time,height,txid,value
12/1/2012 12:02:57 AM +00:00,210350,ce6326795c967b523b19e898d5fe2b520f800d76500ddd37c942bde9a79d65ea,131.42269233
12/1/2012 1:09:45 AM +00:00,210362,6c206c5376699e092d560002ac9102a866b2a4bacf4c3395e7ac36a5a342ee08,132.51501096
12/1/2012 8:34:41 AM +00:00,210405,d3a5adefdfef48e8e33910583cdecedebdce9a9a93a1605fa3f68debeb545f58,132.9995
12/1/2012 8:34:41 AM +00:00,210405,9f05a263f521e9bb8700ef3987a963c23f7a698c116dbac655e49e61a2087c67,132.71
12/1/2012 10:30:25 AM +00:00,210421,18b0fff22ac0e2e9406e9ec2ba9e51c73d519d26b06e2d6e4ad2533630ec322b,132.094
12/1/2012 12:12:03 PM +00:00,210431,a2b135155e0ab7847afde19865f103d9043ac41a2216cf5d0a530bc62b2858ca,131.07378198
12/2/2012 11:57:50 AM +00:00,210583,c20f38e726caeccc0941d450217c7ae7d99bc77965ea9bed3051c66b7c8a3d79,132.50
12/2/2012 10:14:50 PM +00:00,210650,8f950443f0d83e00239d54d3ddfa3456fe0e6b48b460250adf3d5999c84f6089,131.82
12/3/2012 2:12:22 AM +00:00,210677,514936206a805f3bb84659e896e68470957ecf65ff164cf8063b4802dabe7370,132.00
12/3/2012 6:49:10 AM +00:00,210703,b43c8b98d4aa659860023d9e5e58b6a79874d590af3f11c331424ce1af58a703,131.65
12/3/2012 10:18:09 AM +00:00,210718,ba1cc4d47a6c81b1950bda3175c4a38939353fc67046ab75c031f71c10d90d0b,132.555
12/4/2012 12:29:34 AM +00:00,210808,ccbac13ce454a9e09f188f4eefdf1af84b4c4e12e2009b5577956b9d8120fac7,132.3445
12/4/2012 8:22:45 AM +00:00,210844,f2aaff5e5abaaaf801c106aad91b4f0c58a2029b42516d3f82875640b4b6d4c0,132.00
12/4/2012 11:46:45 PM +00:00,210916,74d595fe8deb97e00173c6cfdcb4e69511e5da976ff32e98fce88aa7605970a0,131.12418399
12/5/2012 12:45:45 AM +00:00,210920,6a96da6c0ad1af77243060cc430553d35002beb3bc9880dd5c8506780aaa9c4f,132.11170474
12/5/2012 1:23:59 AM +00:00,210927,ffd89abddbf834df8354ec88ea386f28bb68351bfda66f124239835b8ee926b6,132.40
12/5/2012 2:10:26 AM +00:00,210929,0b14eaf69c67ab9e909755c550c3e4485feba8ae4be0895becb34ecd3571d48e,131.10
12/5/2012 4:13:15 PM +00:00,210997,0a9833f64450f29bdfd6092e7e383d867fa81433493cbf56434ebc0007e03ac7,132.0124
12/5/2012 4:26:22 PM +00:00,210999,581bd0a62cc888d91cea07ce3addf8c1e48e20470ff92f9ab509c9195702c26a,131.46848933
12/5/2012 9:24:45 PM +00:00,211025,35c7fc0d093833d9a4faf6bab742f9b770ef837d5aac8cfe30545fb027f1b416,131.1385
12/5/2012 9:24:45 PM +00:00,211025,1ca7b92698fb853316adff97d5584efebbf1a87c55e0b68818bf4983941092c6,132.48666
12/6/2012 3:09:33 AM +00:00,211056,45eba23e59febe4ca858d90651b044ea95c30c94c0eb10a120ef4f54d749c080,132.348
12/6/2012 3:56:46 AM +00:00,211057,934f8a09fb3ec6e5eca32042b855e9b187edfee37d6f1680f82943186b0e43b7,131.9995
12/6/2012 9:22:19 AM +00:00,211092,c1ce536dbde00fd81db4f59197c1ef8f9b43dbcbc82d88af747c109fa9e67d33,131.9126
12/6/2012 9:38:55 AM +00:00,211093,070ca2aec836b6067645893425d1733d93689b2fbae240590a936981d324794b,131.9126
12/6/2012 3:01:08 PM +00:00,211128,5e86365203c773d576985c48bea4d1b5af2f4a728a8eab76732f58c29059614c,132.29515294
12/6/2012 5:24:13 PM +00:00,211144,c7b35171f495432e83ed77e802021a57199512c396bdaa3a176058fe2d56910b,131.152
12/6/2012 7:01:28 PM +00:00,211151,05663888c9b9a8afcf230af6674fefb2ccb00de695deb100c6cb220620389c3f,131.22217984
12/6/2012 9:08:15 PM +00:00,211161,8c8dff87145f771842b3d2930a2d70a217094e80f21e3915ec7162ed259d65f1,132.603
12/6/2012 10:24:35 PM +00:00,211168,e828f72d5b5b26eac65c2400e8c6b8ce0f2b06fba447036311c13d35f22a224c,132.603

Bitcoin address 15sYbVpRh6dyWycZMwPdxJWD4xbfxReeHe
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: